Reload this Page >

Is the digital sound upgrade worth it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-19-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing XBox games for about 6 months now and I'm thinkig it's time to get the digital cables so I can listen to the games in 5.1 sound. But is it worth the money? I'm not even sure how much the cables are. Any comments would be appreciated.

I basically have all the necessary equipment besides the cable that would run from my XBox to the stereo.

Last edited by James W. Powell; 05-19-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 01:58 PM

Heck yes its worth it. Especially games like Halo and Splinter Cell. It adds so much more to the experience. I am not sure if you have it already but you need the Advanced pack which is currently $20, I know it comes with A/V cables but I dont remember if it comes with a digital cable too. If it doesnt, you can get those online for about $5, or the cheapest in stores is probably $10. For digital, you do not need to spend tons of money on the cables, so the cheapest ones will work just as good as the $40 monster cable ones.
Old 05-19-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually played Splinter Cell without digital.

What exactly is the Advanced Pack?
Old 05-19-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it is worth it.

Get the Advanced A/V pack and then get a cheap optical cable from Radio Shack
Old 05-19-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really get much more out of games with 5.1, but for $20 you might as well upgrade.
Old 05-19-03, 02:54 PM

Advanced pack is what you need to play games in Dolby Digital.
Old 05-19-03, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
I don't really get much more out of games with 5.1, but for $20 you might as well upgrade.
For games like GR 5.1 sound is not only nice but puts you at a disadvantage without it! There are many games out there now that use true 5.1 sound to let you hear the direction that the enemies are coming from. On GR if a sniper is crawling up behind you then you can hear which direction. This comes in handy for delivering a shot to the head of that sneaky rat. Oh, and the base comes to life with 5.1. Once you play games on a decent 5.1 system (or better) then you won't be able to go back. That is if the games really take advantage of the 5.1 sound.
Old 05-19-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Got a tv w/ component inputs? Get the Hi-Def A/V Pack.
Got a tv w/composite inputs, s-video? Get the Advanced A/V Pack.

Got to Wal-Mart and get an optical cable (cheapest place I've seen'em in a B&M).

Does it make a difference? HUGE!! Especially for FPS's, racing games or adventure type games, not so much for DOA type stuff. Nothing like hearing Halo in 5.1 glory. Also, just a heads up, there are a few games that don't utilize the center speaker at all times (i.e. Halo) so don't worry about that if you run across it.
Old 05-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, like everyone else said, it's definitely worth it. I actually use a generic AV pack for the XBox. I think MadCatz or someone like that makes it. It has SVid, Composite, Component, and Optical Out. It came with all the cables for like $30.
Old 05-20-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"Halo" in 5.1 alone is worth the upgrade.
Old 05-20-03, 07:28 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $20 yes.

If someone was asking about investing in a whole home theater system for games I'd say no. Games and movies it's worth it, but if someones just into games and doesn't buy many DVDs then it would't be worth the money IMO as I've never cared that much about sound in games (but do care in movies as I want the experience to be as close to the theater as possible with in my limited budget).
Old 05-21-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I have to say is the first time I heard someone call for the puck behind me in NHL2k3, it was all worth it. I'll never go back now.
Old 05-21-03, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

Agreed.. I hope all next generation machines offer digital 5.1 and/or DTS sound and all games support it. It just adds so much to the gaming experience. I still remember the first day I hooked my Xbox up and heard Digital sound while playing Buffy. The sound of a gate door creaking in the rear speakers.. Ah memories.
Old 05-21-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I posted about this months ago try searching so youcan see some of the great answers posted and the problems I had initially.

I bought a optical splitter from Radio Shack and I have XBOX and PSX2 going to my reciever. I also picked up a console switcher to switch the video going to the TV.

IT ROCKS!!!!!

So far these are my favorite XBOX games that sound AWESOME IN 5.1

HALO... aliens screaming from behind then running in front of you

MECHASSAULT...missiles firing from behind, buildings falling and giving the Subwoofer a workout

CIRCUS MAXIMUS...hearing Chariots comming up from behind and having the warriors screaming at you while switching from left rear to right rear while this is happening.

Jet Set Radio Future...the music sounds really good