Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oracle's Bodyguard.....Any ideas?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Neo goes to meet the Oracle, he first comes across her bodyguard. But in order to see her, the bodyguard must make sure that he is actually the "One". Neo finds this out after the fact - "Why didn't you just ask?". But here is what I don't understand.

The first Matrix outlines how Neo's abilities will make him superior to programs within the Matrix. Agents, programs, etc are governed by rules within the Matrix. Neo has no such boundaries. But when confronted by the bodyguard in Reloaded, an equal battle occurs. Neo should be able to handle him easily, but can not. If the bodyguard is a program, how can he compete?

That leads me to the ultimate question - what/who is the bodyguard?
Old 05-19-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That leads me to the ultimate question - what/who is the bodyguard?
Have you seen the previews for Matrix 3? The bodyguard is back, and I'm sure we'll find out more about him then. I'm guessing he's some kind of anomaly - like Neo.
Old 05-19-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Oracle's Bodyguard.....Any ideas?

Originally posted by spankyj
Agents, programs, etc are governed by rules within the Matrix. Neo has no such boundaries.
Not entirely true:
Some of them [rules] can be bent. Others can be broken.
Neo cannot break all the rules of the Matrix.
Old 05-19-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That battle wasn't quite equal. Neo was doing a bit better. Landed the first punch, etc.

My question is: Why aren't the agents as good as this guy?

goLUCKY,
Neo probably CAN break all the rules. If he figured out how. Rewriting the program as he goes means he can do absolutely anything. The only thing that would stop him is someone trying to prevent the code from being reshaped.
Old 05-19-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Neo and Seraph fight until Seraph is satisfied that Neo is the One (meaning Neo can put up a defense that lesser entities that Seraph has easily dispatched). This is not to say that Seraph would get his nuts handed to him if the fight persisted (or vice-versa). We simply don't know how well either would fare in a fight to the death.
Old 05-19-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I would think Neo could possibly do anything if he understands what the hell is going on. I think that the programs and things he came up against in Reloaded were something new to him that he wasn't prepared for.
Old 05-19-03, 12:25 PM

There's something obviously different about Seraph, we don't know yet. Agents appear in green code as everything else in Neo's eyes.... but as far as we know, Seraph was the ONLY program to appear gold. If you've seen the Revolutions trailer, Seraph seems to play a major rule.... agh I can't wait!
Old 05-19-03, 12:49 PM

not sure about Seraph, but i can't wait to find out. he was one of the perks of the movie IMO. cool character.

anyone that doubts wo ping's influance on the film needs to watch that scene again. pure brilliance
Old 05-19-03, 02:38 PM

I'm just glad that Jet Li didn't play Seraph. For one, I would've been thinking the whole time that being "The One" or not, Neo would've had his ass handed to him by Jet. Secondly, Jet has too strong of an accent, and the actual actor playing Seraph has a cool passive tone to his voice. Jet cannot sound cool. I just remember him saying "I am Yulaw, I am NOBODY's bitch!" from "The One".

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 05-19-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but if Jet Li is "The One" and Neo is "The One"..
Old 05-21-03, 03:21 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone mentioned in another thread that Seraph says to Neo that the Oracle "has many enemies". In addition, when Neo looks at Seraph initially in the machine code of the Matrix, he is obviously different. The speculation was that Seraph is some sort of super-program built to protect the Oracle.

Whether or not he can take out programs like Agents or The Twins remains to be seen in Revolutions.
Spoiler:
I do recall seeing a glimpse of him with twin pistols in the trailer for Revolutions, should be some good fighting with him involved.

-BT
Old 05-21-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think he's a fire wall. not to mention addicted to fighting. seems like he wants to fight everyone just to get to know them.
Old 05-21-03, 03:43 PM

maybe fighting is the way he's programmed to understand other entities inside the matrix

if you follow the spiritual side and merovingian theme he get's a whole lot more interesting but i'm sure you guys are tired of hearing about that
Old 05-21-03, 04:01 PM

Is it possible that Seraph is one of the previous The Ones?
Old 05-21-03, 04:05 PM

no, it states he's a program, the oracle states this
Old 05-21-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Moldy Potato
Is it possible that Seraph is one of the previous The Ones?
Are you suggesting that once "The One's" become absorded by the Matrix then they go Gold?
Old 05-21-03, 04:11 PM

Maybe when The One rebuilds Zion, he is sucked into the Matrix and becomes a program once the Matrix is reloaded. And they get spiffy-keen gold coding. And thats what happened to Seraph.

I'm not saying I believe this, I'm just throwing some stuff out there.
Old 05-21-03, 04:11 PM

better than going plaid i presume
Old 05-21-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by goLUCKY
Are you suggesting that once "The One's" become absorded by the Matrix then they go Gold?
Well he did have a gold code to him.. I wonder when the new updates will be released for him. As long as they don't take away that bunny hop, I'm sure he'll be kick arse.
Old 05-21-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I always thought that Neo wasn't trying to do too much. Since this guy was supposed to take him to the Oracle and thus on "his side", he was pretty reserved in his fighting.
Old 05-22-03, 09:36 AM
Cool New Member

It seems to me that if there are 5 versions of Neo before the current version, than it makes sense that the first five were reprogrammed into the matrix. Seraph is probably one of the first five, as is the french guy, as is Agent Smith (who I'm guessing is an original "the one" because he seems to know where everything in the matrix is already). Not sure who the other two might be, one could be the oracle.

Thoughts?
Old 05-22-03, 10:16 AM

the merovingian survived neo's predecessors, that leads me to believe that he is a program used to create the first perfect matrix and after it's failure he was set for deletion and decided to hide in exile instead of returning to the source(as the oracle said) this also ties into the Merovingian Gnostic religious cues.............

Seraph is nothing but a guardian or firewall IMO he "protects what is most important" and i dont' think that means the oracle, more like the path to the source
Old 05-26-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
A friend of mine came up with a theory that we see all five of the previous "Ones" in this film, the Seraph being one, the Mavelelaonian(whatever) being another, and that they all have flaws that prevented them from really being sucessful. The Seraph said you didn't know someone until you fight them, he's anger, the Mavel is lust. I forgot the others.
Old 05-27-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool theory, except there are seven deadly sins. Neo would still be imperfect.
Old 05-27-03, 02:28 AM

i can't wait to hand in my interview questions to Collin Chou (the actor who plays Seraph in the movie) tomorrow! btw, if there are any matrix related questions u want to ask, email me today at [email protected] and i will try to get answers from Mr. Chou himself.

he's a very nice guy and very polite.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.