Reload this Page >

Anyone Playing Wolfenstein On Live?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-18-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up XBox Live and RTCW today () and was wondering who is playing online?

I had a lot of fun playing SOCOM with DVDTalkers last fall...
Old 05-18-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you tried it out online yet? I plan on getting it just not sure when.
Old 05-19-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've just played the first handful of missions to get used to it (never played before).

It feels good in single player so far.

I'll check out the online today at some point.
Old 05-19-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sleep, schmeep.

I played for about an hour and had a great time online. Much, much better experience than the single player.

I prefer the team based goals approach this game takes to a free-for-all deathmatch. The complementary character classes are implemented just about perfectly.

I can't wait to check out all of the modes!
Old 05-19-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
I borrowed it from a friend this weekend and gave it a whirl. I just tried the single player for an hour to get my bearings & then jumped into LIVE.

I gotta say that I did not like it is much as Unreal but it probably just takes some getting used to. I am used to playing Halo deathmatches with my buddies or Unreal on LIVE and I just like the fast pace of it all.

It took me 15 minutes just to finally jump into a game. I would got to different servers and they woul have a wait time of 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I am not going to be a spectator for that long. Hardly anyone was talking and I finally get into a match and my own man kills me. Which makes for another 5+ minutes wait. Then you have different functions for different players.

I also kept getting a message on many games that stated that my connection speed "did not meet the minimum requirements set for the game." What??? I have a DSL and have never had a problem before. All of a sudden , I can't get into half the games??? Anyone else run into that?

I never got into the Tom Clancy game Ghost Recon which could be the problem. I also thought it was difficult to tell exactly who is who.

Does the LIVE part have a steep learning curve or do I just stink at it? I ended up taking it out and putting my agression into some quick deathmatches on Unreal.
Old 05-19-03, 09:03 AM

The only reason I find that the LIVE part has a steep learning curve is due to the LARGE # of maps and the objective games. When it is on objective you feel really lost if you don't know the map.

I'm the opposite of you since I'm more of a GR person than a UC person. Actually I hated UC and found it to be nothing more than a jump, jump, shoot, jump game. Nothing but run and gun in my opinion which calls for little strategy and a LOT of finger twitching kills. This is all up to a gamer and what he likes. I personally like deeper games where it matters if you get killed because the settings may be set so you don't come back until the next game.
I have found RTCW to be in the middle of UC and GR. There is a lot more teamwork and no magic floating power ups but you still have that stupid jumping from UC. I play this game and scratch my head trying to think of a single war movie that had soldiers jumping up and down every 2 seconds to dodge bullets. The different classes is where this game gets sweet. If you are set to opjective then 90% of the time you have to have an engineer to blow something up. It is cool that another engineer can come behind you and difuse your dynamite too and therefore givest the defending team a reason to have an engineer. Engineers can also fix blown up gun turrets. Then you have a medic who can save fallen soldiers (as long as they weren't blown into chunks by a grenade or something). The Lieutenent is cool because he can call in air strikes. Then you have a typical soldier with the advantage of being able to take one of a ton of guns. Take a Panzer rocket launcher, a Venom rail gun, flame thrower, sniper, etc.
When you add up all of this you come up with a very well rounded game that requires a decent amount of skill and a LOT of teamwork. This is a nice break from GR for me and I would say a must own game. There are just too many maps, gametypes, and teamwork to pass this game by. It has been called the best ONLINE game (for Xbox) by many and I think it is deserving. Not because the game itself is great (some will hate it) but because a LOT of time was spent to make the ONLINE play customizable and enjoyable.
By the way, if you don't have the connection speed it is because a host set the level up to a certain point. I never do this and I host 8 a lot without lag. Every once in a while someone with a bad connection can drag things down but I hate to keep people out who might have a better connection that what LIVE test it at.
Old 05-19-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a way to get a better connection or am I stuck with what my DSL does?
Old 05-19-03, 09:49 AM

You are probably stuck. When you start upgrading DSL it is expensive. If I were you I would simply find games where people (like me) don't put a minimum on it. You could check around for cable broadband prices.

If you want you can send me a friend invite and get into my games but I will warn that I'm in a clan and have a lot of people trying to get in at times.
Gamertag- Kainan
Old 05-19-03, 12:12 PM

Being able to play RTCW on LIVE is the entire reason I bought the game. I already played through it on PC and thought it was okay.

The LIVE play is a blast IMO. I've had a ton of fun mostly because it promotes teamwork over run and twitch play. I've found a few guys that have been really fun to play with and we've had some great matches. The voice communication is what really sets this game apart. Another great way to promote teamwork.

Great fun, I highly recommend it.
Old 05-19-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kainan

If you want you can send me a friend invite and get into my games but I will warn that I'm in a clan and have a lot of people trying to get in at times.
Gamertag- Kainan
Thanks Kainan! I definitely will if I end up getting this game. I think I just need to put some more time into it (and since the friend I borrowed it from does not have LIVE, he will probably trade it to me when he is done). I am more of a solo guy when it comes to these games but it looks like I need to learn teamwork!

Ineteresting regarding the speed situation. I was always told that DSL was better than a cable connection which is why I went with DSL. I do go thru a router but I don't know if that would affect anything or not. Maybe I should shut my computer down completely when playing...would that help?
Old 05-19-03, 03:25 PM

Brian,

You have to be careful for blanket statements like DSL is faster than cable. There is a lot to consider. You may have a crappy DSL provider or a crappy Cable provider. If you have cable then you have issues with time of day and how many people they have on your main line. DSL is steady and dedicated although other issues can arise. You can also find web sites that tell you how to uncap your cable/dsl but I'm not advising it here. I have a friend who did it and is getting blazing speeds though.
I don't think the router is causing a problem. I actually have 2 routers. I have my Xbox and PS2 run off of my regular router and then have a wireless running off of that for using my laptop. This comes in handy during clan matches if I have to look up rules or gamertags of the other team. Anyway, I've heard some mention that at router might cause a speed issue and others say it won't. Personally I noticed no difference when I installed my router.
By the way, RTCW has a great single player game too. Heck, I enjoy it almost as much as playing online against others. It truly shouldn't be dismissed like many other single player modes on multiplayer games like UC.