Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Noticed Something Interesting in the 1st Matrix...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on the DVD- Chapter 6, Timecode 00:16:59

This is the scene where Thomas Anderson gets questioned by the agents. The camera zooms in and through the tv monitor.

Of course, this is pure speculation, but could this shot be from the POV of the
Spoiler:
Architect's room?

Nothing deep, just thought if it was significant, it shows a little foresight in the Wachowski's grand design.
Old 05-18-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought of that too when I watched The Matrix today. I believe it is the Architect's room and it shows all the outcomes and reactions that Neo could take. It also zooms in on the one he choses like in Reloaded.
Old 05-18-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting...
Old 05-18-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Could be!
Old 05-18-03, 10:06 PM

I watched it again with my wife today and noticed that. My reaction and hers was "Holy *****!" How cool was that! Had to be the Architech, beacuse the camera moves in exactly like it did in Reloaded. The Arhcitecht is watching to see what choices Neo makes. Too cool!
Old 05-18-03, 10:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's the advantage of actually having a trilogy planned from the beginning (as opposed to making it up as you go along...cough cough).
Old 05-18-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That had crossed my mind when I saw reloaded on Fri night.

It makes you wonder.
Old 05-18-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
That's the advantage of actually having a trilogy planned from the beginning (as opposed to making it up as you go along...cough cough).
Old 05-19-03, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Groucho
I thought Lord of the Rings was based on some old books?

Ohhhh, that other trilogy.
Old 05-19-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-19-03, 12:46 PM

funny, i noticed that last night as well while watching the matrix.............wonder why he only has one reaction, must not have been thinking much back in those days
Old 05-19-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woah... I totally forgot about that... MUST WATCH MATRIX AGAIN!

I always thought in the first movie those were just Security Cameras... :/
Old 05-19-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
funny, i noticed that last night as well while watching the matrix.............wonder why he only has one reaction, must not have been thinking much back in those days
I think the implication is choice. The machines usually know what you're going to do before you do it. In this case, all the monitors would reveal the same picture, because there is only one outcome.

In the architect's room, Neo and the Architect see multiple outcomes because he is no longer predictable or playing by the machine's rules.
Old 05-19-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow - very nice. I'm definitely going to rewatch the first film in the near future.
Old 05-19-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wonder why he only has one reaction, must not have been thinking much back in those days
Or maybe they didn't have the trilogy entirely worked out at that point, and they threw it in M1, in anticipation of linking to the sequels.
Old 05-19-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by vivarey
Or maybe they didn't have the trilogy entirely worked out at that point, and they threw it in M1, in anticipation of linking to the sequels.
Or maybe it WAS security cameras and the Bro's placed it in Reloaded to form continuity.
Old 05-19-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or maybe it WAS security cameras and the Bro's placed it in Reloaded to form continuity.
Good point. Maybe that shot garnered some attention from the nitpickers, so they decided to use it
Spoiler:
in the Architect's room
as an inside joke.
Old 05-19-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DeputyDave
Or maybe not. When I first saw the Matrix (before knowing ANYTHING about it) I knew that no police intake/processing area would have that many monitors. We may have 30 or 40 cameras but they usually cycle through 3-4 monitors. Definately not ALL focused on one suspect. So before I knew what the Matrix was I assumed some high level secret agency was interested in Neo. The second time I saw it I assumed it was the Matrix itself (or some “physical” embodiment of it) watching Neo. I just got that “all powerful authority figure” vibe from that brief scene. Watching it again I don’t think that vibe was accidental. Maybe the Bro’s didn’t know exactly what they intended to do with it but they had a general direction.
Old 05-19-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe the Bro’s didn’t know exactly what they intended to do with it but they had a general direction.
I would agree. Although it's fun to speculate otherwise
Old 05-19-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I laughed when Thomas Anderson flipped Agent Smith the bird, and then when one of Neo's reaction showed him flipping the bird to the Architect.
Old 05-19-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by einTier
I think the implication is choice. The machines usually know what you're going to do before you do it. In this case, all the monitors would reveal the same picture, because there is only one outcome.

In the architect's room, Neo and the Architect see multiple outcomes because he is no longer predictable or playing by the machine's rules.
good point, i could see that
Old 05-20-03, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Patman
I laughed when Thomas Anderson flipped Agent Smith the bird, and then when one of Neo's reaction showed him flipping the bird to the Architect.
Everyone in the theater laughed...so hard, in fact, the audience couldn't hear the important Architect dialogue. :P
Old 05-22-03, 08:25 AM
Cool New Member

even in the source (the virtual room with the architect) the screens behind them did not always show possible outcomes, but also sometimes simply showed what was happening at that time, sort of like a scan of the current activity in progress mode. Therefore the shot in the first Matrix could definitely be from the architect's pov, scanning the current activity. I also agree that security monitors would not all of their screens to show the same room, since that would defeat the purpose of monitoring altogether. Having a lot of monitors aloows for the scanning of different areas. It was the architect's room (I think).
Old 05-22-03, 09:22 AM

In the Architects room, when he starts talking about who Neo is, the screens flash what appears to be scenes from his life. Some of those are from the first movie. I've tried to catch as many as I could, but they change rapidly. I've only been able to spot scenes from the times when Neo was in the Matrix. I didn't notice any from when he was on the Neb. Has anybody else noticed this. I could have just not seen any.

It might be a clue as to whether Zion is real world or not.
Old 05-22-03, 09:29 AM

only matrix shots, and when he was a child and such, which would have been in the matrix too

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.