Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rate the Franchises so far...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

We've had threads like this before, but with the Matrix Reloaded finally being released, i thought i'd make a new one Plus, this doesn't necessarily mean a trilogy, just franchises in general as well. So that includes Harry Potter and X-Men, which are expected to include many more movies down the line. So anyway, quite a few franchise films are at #2 in the series... so out of all the franchises out there on Part 2, which do you like the best so far?

There are a few ways to rate this... one is quality of the first 2 movies. Another is built up anticipation for the next movies. But here are mine.

#1. The Matrix movies. Part of this might be due to its recent release, but after watching the 2nd film and reading all the analysis and hypotheses on possible meanings, i'm excited about seeing the conclusion and hopefully we won't get some huge cop out.

#2. X-Men. I enjoyed the first one, and X2 delivered with even more action and excitement as well as a nice ending built for a sequel. With a huge universe, i'm excited at the possibilities of future storylines and characters. Out of all the current franchises, i think this one will have the most legs as long as the director(s) and writers keep it fresh.

#3. Lord of the Rings. I've never read the books, and wasn't a big fan of the third one. But all the hype that the third movie will be the best out of all 3 by far has me intrigued at the conclusion.

#4. Blade. Wesley Snipes has said there will be one more movie with him starring as the Blade character, and although there really hasnt been any news on the 3rd movie, i absolutely loved the first two movies. A great job was done with an obscure comic book character, and Snipes was perfect for the role. My favorite vampire movies.

#5. Terminator. It's felt like so long since T2 was released, but it remains fresh in my head. Yes T3 has looked like crap. But each new trailer seems to give me more interest, and as a big fan of the first two movies, i almost feel obligated to see the third.

#6. Harry Potter. Like LOTR, i've never read the books. I've never seen either of the movies in the theater as well. However, when i finally did watch both movies they were very entertaining and i can see why some people absolutely love the character, the books, and the movies.

#7. Star Wars. I'm on the boat with the people that have disliked the phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Strangely, i'm still interested in what we'll see in the third. Only with Star Wars can you be extremely dissapointed with the previous movie yet hold such high anticipations for the next.

That's all i can think of right now... what other movies are there? I believe there are plans for Rush Hour 3... Bad Boys 2 is coming out but i doubt there would be a third (unless 10 years down the line we see the careers of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence on life support). Shanghai Noon/Knights... not sure if there are plans for another sequel. American Pie series is up there as well with the third movie coming this summer. Not sure if we'll see another Men In Black movie, although i believe there were rumors out there.

That's all i've got for now... what do you guys think?
Old 05-18-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Well, if Sony is gonna spend as much money on the 3rd Spidey movie as they are with the 2nd, I think I may not be getting a bonus.

After such a great year, Sony has gone out and almost doubled the budgets for their sequels Spidey, Charlie's Angels and Bad Boys. I hope that pays off.

Amazes me how much money they're sinking into the franchises.
Old 05-18-03, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bond, James Bond.
Old 05-18-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Indiana Jones (it'll be interesting to see how #4 does)
The Godfather
Old 05-18-03, 09:26 PM

Lord of the Rings has been better than i ever expected it would be, but then i usually have low expectations for big budget movies. But these have been wonderful so far. I'm disappointed with the Harry Potter movies. The books are so much fun and the movies seem to sap all the excitement and joy out of them. Hopefully a director change will help.
Old 05-18-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also find the Harry Potter movies a bit letdown.But the LOTR are very good.X-men also was very good
Old 05-18-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Liked it, but I'm not much into the Matrix.
2. Not a fans, but it's a good piece of movie.
3. Loved it, haven't read the book but the movie is outstanding.
4. So so.
5. The first two is awesome. I have low expectation on the third.
6. Loved the book, loved the movie.
7. I'm a big fans.

James Bond is OK, but I don't really liked it.

Austin Powers - never watched any of its film, and I don't intend to.
Old 05-18-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best = LOTR
Old 05-19-03, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Indiana Jones - hands down the best trilogy ever made.
2. Star Wars - the original trilogy has a place in all of our hearts.
3. Back to the Future - first one is incredible, second one is OK, third one is a helluva lot of fun.
4. Terminator - makes the list regardless of how good or bad the third one is.

*The Matrix trilogy is basically three of the same movie. Same with LOTR. I mean that in a bad way.
Old 05-19-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best - Matrix, Terminator
Worst - Star Wars