Game Boy Player will be bundled with the new Nintendo GameCube

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from Gamerfeed.com
E3 2003: Nintendo Bundles Game Boy Player
By Mike Viscel -- Staff Writer
Published 9:48 PM CDT May 15, 2003

Nintendo's GameCube library just increased by 1,200 games...just like that.

Nintendo announced today that they will be bundling the new Game Boy Player along with units of the Nintendo GameCube. The Game Boy Player plugs into the high speed port on the bottom of the GameCube and allows gamers to play Game Boy games on the GameCube console.

The combination of the two units immediately adds 1,200 Game Boy titles to the impressive 300 GameCube titles already available. That's 1,500 games offered to the system, right out of the box!

Nintendo plans to offer the bundle for a limited time starting June 23,2003. The bundle will retail for $149.99, the current cost for a Nintendo GameCube console. No word on if the stand-alone GameCube price will decrease when the bundle comes out. The bundle will also be sold in Europe for 199.99(Euro).

"This offer builds on the incredible momentum generated by our Game Boy Advance line, which has already sold 35 million systems worldwide," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. "Once we saw the enthusiastic reception given to the debut of Game Boy Player here on the show floor at the E3 trade show, it was an easy decision to move ahead with our plans to combine these two products."
Old 05-16-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy shnikes! i'm in on that! does it come w/ zelda? i'm greedy.
Old 05-16-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
OK, but how much is it by itself? I am DYING for one of these.
Old 05-16-03, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
OK, but how much is it by itself? I am DYING for one of these.
I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 05-16-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Supposedly it's gonna be about $50 bucks.

I refuse to pay a dime over 40 though, since I've already got a GBA.
Old 05-16-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is an extremely good idea on their part.
Old 05-16-03, 12:04 PM
Retired

An EB ad in EGM a couple months ago had the GBA player advertised for $39.99.

This is an awesome bundle by nintendo though. Hopefully they'll include one in the gamecube successor as well. While sony and MS are adding in Tivo and other non-gaming crap, Nintendo is adding stuff that actually lets gamers play more games.
Old 05-16-03, 12:25 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
If that's the case... I just might fork over the dough for a new system. Put the old one in the kid's room and keep the new one... hopefully it'll be available in platinum!
Old 05-16-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While sony and MS are adding in Tivo and other non-gaming crap, Nintendo is adding stuff that actually lets gamers play more games.
[sarcasm] yeah, I really want to play games with the processing power of the SNES on my home theater system.[/sarcasm]

The GBA is a great system for portable gaming. But why would I ever want to play games that look dated, have poor sound, and limited gameplay at home when I can play games that are better? If I want to play quality games in 2D, I'll buy an old console. Why should I buy a new console (GCN) with great graphics and sound, then attach an add-in that makes it play like an older system?

I guess you have to be a retro gamer to understand why people would want to play GBA games on their GCNs. I'm definitely not, and will never buy a Gameboy player for my Cube. I have never played my GBA SP at home, and never intend to. It's only for when I'm away from home, travelling, etc.
Old 05-16-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather just have a dirt-cheap Gamecube. I hate this bundle crap
Old 05-16-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
If that's the case... I just might fork over the dough for a new system. Put the old one in the kid's room and keep the new one... hopefully it'll be available in platinum!
I remember reading somewhere that while Japan will get multiple colors, the US is only getting black.
Old 05-16-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually, i'd be happy if they released that matsushita version of the gc that has a fullsized dvdplayer - for $179 (to match the other consoles).
Old 05-16-03, 12:49 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Joshic
[sarcasm] yeah, I really want to play games with the processing power of the SNES on my home theater system.[/sarcasm]
Some people just care about playing fun games and could give a sh*t less about graphics and sound.

I'm buying a GBA player to be able to enjoy great games like Metroid Fusion on a bigger screen that's easier to see. I play my GBA 99% of the time in the home so it's perfect for me.

At any rate, my point is that this add on is actually gaming related, unlike the lame set-top box crap Sony and MS are going for.

If I want Tivo, MP3 playing, DVD playback etc. I'll buy superior stand-alone equipment.
Old 05-16-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I was thinking the same thing. I've been debating putting a second cube in the playroom for the kids anyway.
Old 05-16-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Games like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, Zelda: Link to the Past for the GBA are great games, yes. But only in the context of the system they were designed for. If a game like Advance Wars was released on a DVD-disc for Xbox or PS2, do you think it would get such rave reviews? No. At best it would score something like a 6/10.

By playing a GBA game on a GCN, you are wasting time playing a 6/10 game when you can be playing a ton of other games that are 7,8,9,10/10.

One of the PS2's selling points was that it could play PSX games. But for those of you who own PS2, I have to ask: "How often do you play PSX games compared to PS2 games on your PS2?" I think it's safe to say almost never. By the same token, the GBA player for GCN will be a prime selling point for the GCN, and it is a smart move that will sell more consoles, but in practice I doubt people will spend lots of time playing GBA games on their GCN. People like Josh Hinkle who spend 99% of their GBA time at home are far and away in the minority.

For the record, I own Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, and Zelda for GBA, and I like them a lot. But I would never even consider playing them on my TV.
Old 05-16-03, 01:28 PM
Retired

I disagree entirely with that.

I judge games by how fun they are to play.

Metroid Fusion is just as fun as Metroid Prime IMO. I'm not "wasting my time" playing Metroid Fusion when I'm at home and could be playing Metroid Prime.

I could care less about graphics and sound. I think games like Metroid Fusion, the GBA Castlevania's, etc. are way better than at least 90% of the games on the GC, X-box and PS2, and I would give them higher review scores.

I know I'm in the minority. I'm not arguing that this well be some huge selling point. I'm just happy to see Nintendo continuing to focus on gaming, while Sony and MS advance their lame all-in-one machines in an attempt to rule the living room.
Old 05-16-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I disagree entirely with that.

I judge games by how fun they are to play.

Metroid Fusion is just as fun as Metroid Prime IMO. I'm not "wasting my time" playing Metroid Fusion when I'm at home and could be playing Metroid Prime.

I could care less about graphics and sound. I think games like Metroid Fusion, the GBA Castlevania's, etc. are way better than at least 90% of the games on the GC, X-box and PS2, and I would give them higher review scores.

I know I'm in the minority. I'm not arguing that this well be some huge selling point. I'm just happy to see Nintendo continuing to focus on gaming, while Sony and MS advance their lame all-in-one machines in an attempt to rule the living room.
It's interesting you say that many of the GBA games are better than next-gen games, because every time a really good game comes out for the GBA, almost every preview cries a song of sorrow for what the game could have looked like on a console.

I don't plan on getting the GB player. When i had a Super Gameboy, i found it to be one of the worst peripherals ever - GB games look horrible on TVs. They also don't feel right - they were meant to be played on a portable system, so many of the proportions in the game are way off (things are either really small or really big).

I'll stick with my SP - i even play it at home.
Old 05-16-03, 01:51 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Superboy
It's interesting you say that many of the GBA games are better than next-gen games, because every time a really good game comes out for the GBA, almost every preview cries a song of sorrow for what the game could have looked like on a console.
A lot of people care a great deal about having the latest fancy graphics and sound. I couldn't care less. They're just an added bonus, but don't make games any more fun IMO.

Metroid Fusion is a ton of fun to play. For me it wouldn't be more fun if it was on the GC with Metroid Prime's graphics. For graphic's whores it would be. It's just a difference of opinion.

Another reason I think many GBA games are better than most console games is I greatly prefer 2D gaming to 3D gaming. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of 3D games I love, but given the choice I'd rather play say, a 2D Metroid than a 3D one.
Old 05-16-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think its a good idea in concept, but as a couple other people mentioned, these games are gonna look like crap on a big tv. I've seen a couple GBA game reviews on Extended Play/X-Play and they looked laughable blown up to full-screen tv size. I think it was just a couple weeks ago they showed Nightfire 007 and the pixelation was so bad that you could barely tell what was going on.
Old 05-16-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone know whether the GameBoy Player will somehow re-process the graphics of GB/GBA games so that they will be more easily viewed on the big screen??? Seems like otherwise those games just won't look very good, maybe lots of pixels, jaggies and things like that.
Old 05-16-03, 03:26 PM

If they look like SNES games, I would be extremely happy. I love 2D games, and would prefer them over most 3D games out there today. But I really hate playing games in those teenie little GB screens, which is why I have never owned a GB. I am one of those people who do not have a gamecube because I think the game selection is very limited, but throw in a bunch of those 2D GBA games I have been dying to play on my TV screen, and you bet I will be going out and buying a GC.
Old 05-16-03, 04:30 PM
Retired

They will look like SNES games if you leave it in the default mode which has a border and doesn't fill up the whole screen (nor even most of it).

If you use the zoom feature and expand it to the full screen, it's going to look like crap, especially since GBA games aren't in a 4x3 ratio.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-16-03 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
They will look like SNES games if you leave it in the default mode which has a border and doesn't fill up the whole screen (nor even most of it).

If you use the zoom feature and expand it to the full screen, it's going to look like crap, especially since GBA games are in a 4x3 ratio.
I'm pretty sure the GBA has a wider screen than 4:3. I know some games that are ports from NES and SNES games show more information on the left and right than the originals.

... nevermind

Last edited by sdcrym; 05-16-03 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry, but games like Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Metroid Fusion, and Golden Sun 2 are better than 99% of the stuff out on consoles right now.

SNES graphics are fine if the game is fun as hell to play. I certainly got more fun and gameplay out of the GBA Castlevania games than any other 3D series on the consoles. I can't wait for this to come out.
Old 05-16-03, 05:06 PM
Retired

Originally posted by sdcrym
I'm pretty sure the GBA has a wider screen than 4:3. I know some games that are ports from NES and SNES games show more information on the left and right than the originals.
Typo,

Should have read "...it's going to look like crap, especially since GBA games aren't in a 4x3 ratio.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-16-03 at 05:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.