Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sakura Wars - Anyone think we'll ever see it released in the US?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always heard rumblings of the Sakura Taisen series seeing a US release, but I think no time is better than the present with the latest release for the PS2 - Sakura Taisen Atsuki Chishio Ni, a remake of the original Saturn game updated for the next-gen console. I found a review here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/sakura...aisen_ACN.html

And it looks like it would be a great candidate to get a US release, with updated graphics, original gameplay, and a deep and enchanting story. I've always wanted to play these games but like Tokimeki Memorial, literacy in the Japanese language is essential. There was also a GBA release, which I think would be nice to have here in the US.

Anyone echo these sentiments?

Jeremy
Old 05-16-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

good call! I agree, this is one japanese only series (aside from Fire Emblem) that I have always been curious out. It super popular in Japan, and the reviews have been pretty decent as well. I have listened to some of the soundtracks as well and they have been pretty good too.

Last I heard, Working Designs was actually thinking about bringing this title over. They were the company who localized Lunar 1 &2, Arc the Lad, and I think they would do a fine job with this game. I have no idea what happened to that though, and I don't think they pursued it. Anyone know if they are showing anything at E3?
Old 05-16-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to RPG Gamer, Working Designs doesn't have a booth at this year's E3. Sounds like they have their hands full with their project-of-the-decade though, the RPG Growlanser. Here's the story blurb:

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2003/1488.html

Jeremy
Old 05-16-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Wait a second... is this the same game series (Growlanser) that the old Genesis game Warsong was a part of? It's got the same character designer... if so, i'm in.

I remember hearing the rumors about Sakura Wars, but I haven't seen anything for a while. I think it'd be a pretty long translation process, and besides Advance Wars, I don't know how well games of those genre do over here...
Old 05-17-03, 03:05 PM

No, it's not part of Warsong aka Langrisser in Japan. It's the same character designer though. His name is Satoshi Urushihara of Legend of Lemnear fame. One of the best character designers in the industry IMO.
Old 05-17-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I doubt Sakura Wars will ever come here.
Old 05-17-03, 07:54 PM

no.
Old 04-22-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sakura Wars - Anyone think we'll ever see it released in the US?

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I wanted to mention that Sakura Wars: So Long My Love did finally get a US release from Nippon Ichi. However, if you want the PS2 version I wouldn't wait around to get it. It is already sold out at places like Amazon and even Rosen Queen and few stores are even carrying it. I looks like Game Stops each got a single copy so I grabbed one today. The PS2 version is $39.99 and comes with a poster, art book and most importantly to me a second disc with the original Japanese voice acting. The Wii version is easy to find and $29.99, but missing the extras of the PS2 version and from reviews also a slightly inferior version. It took 12 years for this series to even get to the US so don't miss out on picking it up. It got fantastic reviews upon its release.

Edit:I may have spoken too soon. Amazon just changed their listing and says they will have it back in stock for PS2 on May 6th. Maybe NIS is doing a second print run.

Last edited by darkside; 04-22-10 at 03:33 PM.