Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Permed Hair (for Boys) on television

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Permed Hair (for Boys) on television

I was born with straight hair, and I'm doomed to live the rest of my life with my thin, straight hair - but not for long as it is promptly falling out at the ripe old age of 33.

But I digress. I watched Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkin back in 1980, and recently watched some E! backstory on child actors - and saw that Atkin had straight hair! But in Blue Lagoon, he had long curly hair.

That got me to thinking. They permed that boy's head at such a young age. But...maybe not.

Then there's Willie Aames. On Eight Is Enough, he had long curly hair. But, in the very beginning of the show (the first two or three episodes), his hair was straight! On Charles in Charge, his hair was curly, then it began to kinda straighten because he started keeping it shorter (a part on the side, if I remember right). Then, on that E! program, we see Willie Aames today - with straight hair!

What the hell.

Now the Brady Bunch is a great example of what the *****. Mike Brady (Robert Reed) one day appears on the show with curly hair - and it is an obvious perm, no doubt about it. But then Greg Brady (Barry Williams) starts to sport some curls. Then Peter Brady (Christopher Knight). Bobby Brady (Mike Lookinland) didn't get a perm while on the show, but he did years after the show - and he also dyed it blonde!

Now I wonder with Barry Williams. As a small kid on The Brady Bunch, his hair was kept really short. If he naturally had curly hair, it would only come out if there was growth. So maybe Williams was born with curly hair, but you didn't notice until the hair grew out. Same with Knight? I'm not sure.

Help.
Old 05-16-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And what about Mario Lopez, a.k.a. Albert Clifford Slater. Big perm.
Old 05-16-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perms were big back in the 70s and 80s....now they are not.

I would rather be bald.
Old 05-16-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about sideshow bob??
Old 05-17-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But do we know if they were really perms, or just really short hair that, when grown out, curled up naturally?
Old 05-18-03, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone see Mad TV May 17th? They had a funny skit about a guy who permed his hair and it came out really bad.
Seemed relevant to this thread.