DVD Talk
Friends 05/15/03 Season Finale [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Friends 05/15/03 Season Finale


Chew
05-15-03, 07:24 AM
Episode: "The One in Barbados"

When the gang goes to Barbados for a giant paleontology convention where Ross (David Schwimmer) is the keynote speaker, the warm Caribbean weather heats up their love lives. Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) continues to harbor inappropriate thoughts about Joey (Matt LeBlanc), the romantic triangle between Ross, Joey and attractive paleontologist, Charlie (guest star Aisha Tyler) reaches a boiling point. Meanwhile, Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) might have finally met Mr. Right as David (guest star Hank Azaria) is set to propose to her, but Mike (guest star Paul Rudd) is not out of the picture.

Programming alert: unless your PVR takes care of it for you, tonight's episode is scheduled for 75 minutes!!

kneijst1
05-15-03, 11:18 AM
season finale already?!?!! wow, I haven't even seen any ads promoting this or anything of the sort. ah well.

Boot
05-15-03, 11:24 AM
Is this a "very special Friends"?

SuperJim88
05-15-03, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Boot
Is this a "very special Friends"?

It'll be just as special as all the :( episodes this season. They really should've call it quit while they were on top. (i.e. Seinfeld)

AXP 103
05-15-03, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by SuperJim88
It'll be just as special as all the :( episodes this season. They really should've call it quit while they were on top. (i.e. Seinfeld)

That's funny, I don't recall people claiming that Seinfeld was creatively on top during it's final couple of years. Must be that darned selective memory.

This was an odd year for Friends- It started about as bad as it ever has been, but has come on strong in the end (IMO). If they can use this to set up a nice final season of stories, then I'm all for season 10.

mikehunt
05-15-03, 09:36 PM
I hate this running over crap.
at least they're getting together.

ClarkKentKY
05-15-03, 11:21 PM
Just watched the tape of the finale... but i think my VCR messed up and recorded last year's finale. Didn't we leave off last year with some Rachel/Joey drama. And baby Drama... Its depressing. Makes me gald i missed all the other episodes this year.

"There's nothing sadder than an aging hipster"

This show should have ended in Vegas.

:crap:

Boot
05-15-03, 11:23 PM
Pretty good finale. You could see everything coming a mile away of course, but I thought they handled the paring offs pretty well. There were some good one-liners as well. I really wish they'd just end the series with this episode, though.

MrX
05-15-03, 11:41 PM
I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.

The table tennis match was funny and I like Joey/Rachel better than Ross/Rachel though I don't think it will last.

Draven
05-16-03, 12:00 AM
The hair jokes about Monica were hilarious, and Chandler was really funny too.

Good finale all around.

atari2600
05-16-03, 12:33 AM
very predictable but as usual, keeps me wanting more and waiting anxiously for next season.

rachel: "hahaha"

joey: "erectus, right?"

rachel: "no...****!"

LOL!

Josh-da-man
05-16-03, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by atari2600
very predictable but as usual, keeps me wanting more and waiting anxiously for next season.

rachel: "hahaha"

joey: "erectus, right?"

rachel: "no...****!"

LOL!

This is the second time today I've seen this site censor the word h-o-m-o in reference to cavemen.

B.A.
05-16-03, 05:28 AM
I thought the show was pretty good - particularly Joey. At least they finally hooked him and Rachel up - it's about time that they got it over w/.

Courtney Cox (Monica) is starting to wear on my nerves more and more as the series goes on. The hair jokes were funny last night at the beginning but they just kept going and going...

Phoebe has looked great lately. From the black dress a couple of weeks ago to the red dress last night. Damn, she has never looked better than she has lately.

Michael Corvin
05-16-03, 10:40 AM
I thought this was one of the funniest of the year. Ross & Phoebe finally hooked up with the right people. But I didn't like Joey & Rachel. It just seemed forced. For a lack of someone else for her to kiss. Thumbs down on that plotline.

Morf
05-16-03, 10:46 AM
A pretty good episode.

One question: if Ross's hard-drive was fried, where did all of his presentation slides come from?

Goldberg74
05-16-03, 11:02 AM
I don't think any happened oin the other side of the door. I think the first episode of next season willl be Joey and Rachel saying its wrong... after the initial kiss.

Gasspasser
05-16-03, 11:34 AM
darn, I totally forgot to set the VCR. Had to go see the matrix instead. So who hooked up with who? Im not too sure about that still

AXP 103
05-16-03, 11:35 AM
I thought the season finished, in what could be called it's weakest season, very strong.

huzefa
05-16-03, 11:54 AM
OK, so Ross is giving a lecture, but he's standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the screen?! What the hell is wrong with these people?

Rant over...


Pretty good episode IMO. The hair jokes were funny at the start, but I grew weary of them at the end. Chandler was in good form, and as for Rachel/Joey, they just seem comfortable together. I wish Ross would get dumped though; I like it when he's down.

Darq
05-16-03, 12:04 PM
For two people who supposedly were really good at Ping Pong, they sure sucked! They were lobbing that ball over every single time!

Chandler was the only one who really looked like he knew how to play.

Spooky
05-16-03, 12:20 PM
Matt and Jennifer have soooooooo much better chemistry together than David and Jennifer. Let's hope the writers don't pull another fast one on us and break Joey and Rachel up again. The reason the season before last was so good (and this one was so lame) was because of the Joey/Rachel thing!

Is it me or is Lisa Kudrow not aging well? My god, she looks like she's in her 40's already...and keep in mind, that's on the show, where they try to make the performers look their best!

Red Dog
05-16-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Spooky


Is it me or is Lisa Kudrow not aging well? My god, she looks like she's in her 40's already...and keep in mind, that's on the show, where they try to make the performers look their best!


Well she does turn 40 in July, you know.

bboisvert
05-16-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Spooky
My god, she looks like she's in her 40's already...

Well, in two months... she will be.

atari2600
05-16-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Darq
For two people who supposedly were really good at Ping Pong, they sure sucked! They were lobbing that ball over every single time!



lol. no doubt. when mike played for the first time and 'won' that point against monica and said 'oh yeah...im awesome' i was like wtf? no you arent. that was horrible!

its obvious they CAN play and dont suck like i was expecting but they werent that good.

tofu
05-16-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by huzefa
OK, so Ross is giving a lecture, but he's standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the screen?! What the hell is wrong with these people?

Rant over...


not only that but a little eye contact with the audience would have been nice.

Kal-El
05-16-03, 04:40 PM
From what I've read, I'm not too excited about watching my tape from last night now....

Jack_Savage
05-16-03, 05:01 PM
I liked it. I thought the ending was great. It felt wrong, but the fact that it felt said something. Props to the writers.

but i do think your right, i think in friends tradition were going to find out that nothing will happen. All friends season finales are like that.

Charlie Goose
05-16-03, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by huzefa
OK, so Ross is giving a lecture, but he's standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the screen?! What the hell is wrong with these people?



:lol:
Yeah, I noticed that too. How about the fact that it's a super-important lecture that they came all the way to Barbados for, and there were like 20 people in audience. Seven of whom came with Ross.

Gotta feel bad for Joey. Chandler stole his girlfriend a few years ago, and now Ross does the same thing. With friends like these.....

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

MrX
05-16-03, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
:lol:
Yeah, I noticed that too. How about the fact that it's a super-important lecture that they came all the way to Barbados for, and there were like 20 people in audience. Seven of whom came with Ross.

20 people is a packed house for a lecture. I gave one while I was an undergrad where I flew out to Montana from school in Wisconsin and I had 10 people show up for mine in this massive lecture hall. And 4 of them were my friends who were there presenting to.

huzefa
05-16-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by MrX
20 people is a packed house for a lecture. I gave one while I was an undergrad where I flew out to Montana from school in Wisconsin and I had 10 people show up for mine in this massive lecture hall. And 4 of them were my friends who were there presenting to.

But this wasn't just a lecture, it was a conference.... and it was the keynote speech.

Daytripper
05-16-03, 07:24 PM
I missed the first half hour of the show because my stinkin' satelite went out while recording. But caught the second half. Thought it was pretty funny. However, am I the only one who thought Joey kissing Rachel was a little creepy? I mean, I know he had the hots for her at first. Then she just wanted to jump his bones. But seeing it actually happen, or seeing them kiss, just felt weird. Or wrong. Can't explain it. It just didn't feel right to me.

leepyswetr
05-16-03, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Morf
A pretty good episode.

One question: if Ross's hard-drive was fried, where did all of his presentation slides come from? From the land of poorly thought-out plot contrivances, of course.

Decker
05-17-03, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Gotta feel bad for Joey. Chandler stole his girlfriend a few years ago, and now Ross does the same thing.
No he didn't. They were on a break!

How and when did Ross become famous in the palentology community? I thought he wasn't even respected at his own school, and suddenly he's world-renown? :hscratch:

I don't think there's any point in making a show like this 75 minutes. It's just too long. Sitcoms should be 30 minutes. That was a definite stretch.
BTW : How do they deal with shows like this and the "Supersize" episodes in syndication? Do they just cut out 10 minutes of material (and yes, I know this one will be in two parts, but there's still that 15 extra minutes)?

sabre
05-17-03, 08:41 AM
Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

i think this show is done for me. ross and rachel at least makes sense since he had a crush on her since high school. goodbye friends

JohnPhoenix
05-17-03, 02:11 PM
I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that Matt Perry almost became a professional tennis player - so maybe thats why :)

Originally posted by Darq


Chandler was the only one who really looked like he knew how to play.

Daytripper
05-17-03, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by sabre
Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

i think this show is done for me. ross and rachel at least makes sense since he had a crush on her since high school. goodbye friends

Incestuous. Perfect word to describe it. And I almost wrote that but was afraid I'd get flamed. I just don't like that the story went this route at all !!

huzefa
05-17-03, 02:37 PM
So many people wanted Joey & rachel to get together; and where are they now?

kevin75
05-17-03, 05:07 PM
admitedlly, i have not watched much this season, but i am also in the camp of those who don't want rachel and joey to end up together. it just seems like a plot contrivance to draw viewers instead of a natural progression of the characters.

Deftones
05-17-03, 08:20 PM
can anyone give a quick summary of the last 15 minutes? Tivo stopped b/c CSI came on.

NCMojo
05-17-03, 10:31 PM
Deftones -- long and short of it:

1) Monica and Mike played the ping pong game to a final point -- Monica hurt her hand, could not continue -- Chandler, out of love for her, took her place, guaranteeing that she would lose... only Chandler suddenly did not suck and really could play, and won the point handilly.

2) Charlie breaks up with Joey when she realizes that the two of them have nothing in common. (And it took her that long...) Then she tracks down Ross, and the two of them start sucking face.

3) Joey discovers that Rachel has the hots for him, and confronts her. She admits her feelings, and then Joey turns her down cold. "It wouldn't be fair to Ross," he explains. Then he catches Ross and Charlie exchanging each other's saliva.

4) Joey marches purposefully back to Rachel's room, knocks on the door, and when she answers, steps in and passionately begins kissing her. Fade to black.

Man, I so need to be writing for Soap Opera Digest...

NCMojo
05-17-03, 10:42 PM
My two cents worth:

1) Who on earth chooses Mike over David? I mean, Hank Azaria's character is only my favorite Friends significant other of all time! And the love of Phoebe's life? I mean, Paul Rudd is OK and all, but... heck, he's Paul Rudd!

2) Was Chandler funnier than he's been in, like, three years? Man, he was cracking some great lines. My personal favorite: David is asking Chandler for advice after Chandler warned him how horrible his advice was:

DAVID: So, umm, why did Phoebe break up with Mike?
CHANDLER: Oh, well, I think it was because his penis was too big.

3) Umm, Ross's speech... hello? That was a groundbreaking keynote speech? I heard more and better paleontology in Jurassic Park. Hey, if ER can get actual doctors to help them write the show... hint-hint...

4) Joey and Rachel? Ugh. I can see this ending in disaster. Then again, I have said that, like, ninety-two times over the past five years, and every time the writers of Friends have somehow managed to pull back from the edge of the precipice. So I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they handle this.

Overall, a good episode. It had a good beat, and you could dance to it. I'd give it three stars. :)

atari2600
05-17-03, 10:59 PM
#3 shouldnt bother you considering ITS FRIENDS and ross nor the writers are ACTUAL paleontologists! you were expecting an actual groundbreaking speach on dinosaurs on 'must see tv'???

HistoryProf
05-18-03, 12:11 AM
I just don't like the whole rachel-joey thing at all....not one bit. It just didn't look right.....too wierd and doesn't fit AT ALL. I hope they end that quickly next season.

One thought I had...seeing as how the Joey spinoff is apparently a go....maybe he leaves early next season and ditches Rachel for an acting gig in CA? I can't see her going on to another series seeing as how she is the one cast member with a decent film career.

Joseph B
05-18-03, 10:09 AM
Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

I totally agree with this statement and hereby proclaim that this series "Jumped the Shark" with this scene!

hotaru_san
05-18-03, 10:36 AM
I'm fine with Joey and Rachel getting together as long as they can reasonably support it next season. The Ross/Rachel thing has become annoying, it has drug on for too long. If they can find a way to make Ross and Rachel work out in some semi-logical way then I'll be fine with that, too. All I want out of the show is for these characters to reach reasonably logical conclusions by the end of the series.

Deftones
05-18-03, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ncmojo
Deftones -- long and short of it:

1) Monica and Mike played the ping pong game to a final point -- Monica hurt her hand, could not continue -- Chandler, out of love for her, took her place, guaranteeing that she would lose... only Chandler suddenly did not suck and really could play, and won the point handilly.

2) Charlie breaks up with Joey when she realizes that the two of them have nothing in common. (And it took her that long...) Then she tracks down Ross, and the two of them start sucking face.

3) Joey discovers that Rachel has the hots for him, and confronts her. She admits her feelings, and then Joey turns her down cold. "It wouldn't be fair to Ross," he explains. Then he catches Ross and Charlie exchanging each other's saliva.

4) Joey marches purposefully back to Rachel's room, knocks on the door, and when she answers, steps in and passionately begins kissing her. Fade to black.

Man, I so need to be writing for Soap Opera Digest...

Sweet! Thanks so much! You rock! :up:

Jack_Savage
05-18-03, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by brizz

One thought I had...seeing as how the Joey spinoff is apparently a go.....

Are you joking? There really is going to be a friends spin off? Didnt they already try that with Jesse?

Josh H
05-18-03, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Morf
A pretty good episode.

One question: if Ross's hard-drive was fried, where did all of his presentation slides come from?

I don't know about you, but if I have to give a presentation, I back it up on a floppy or CD so if my HD craps out I can at least use another laptop to do it.

BDB
05-21-03, 12:11 AM
I thought Mac's did not get Viruses?

and I think Joey and Rachel are perfect for each other

mapson
05-23-03, 11:43 AM
Excellent summary ncmojo, I also missed the last 15 minutes, thanks.

hgar78
05-23-03, 12:14 PM
just getting around to giving my thoughts on the finale...

i thought it was a great show! very funny, terrific situations and fabulous acting on everyone's part. i loved chandler--he was back in good form, the hair jokes were classic and i'm really enjoying aisha taylor (sp?). overall a very solid and entertaining finale. :)

Draven
05-23-03, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I thought Mac's did not get Viruses?


Nope, just not Windows-based ones.

Smaller community of users = smaller group of people writing viruses, but they exist.

HistoryProf
05-24-03, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Jack_Savage
Are you joking? There really is going to be a friends spin off? Didnt they already try that with Jesse?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265308&highlight=joey+friends+spinoff
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249674

hgar78
05-24-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ncmojo
Deftones -- long and short of it:

Joey marches purposefully back to Rachel's room, knocks on the door, and when she answers, steps in and passionately begins kissing her. Fade to black.

actually the door closes to imply that their going to do a little more than that! ;)

thegame370
05-25-03, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by sabre
Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

i think this show is done for me. ross and rachel at least makes sense since he had a crush on her since high school. goodbye friends

Im also totally with you, if Joey and Rachel end up together, ill be very dissapointed, very!