PS2 gets instant messaging from AOL

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-14-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt see this posted anywhere.

AOL will be demonstrating voice IM services for a Sony Playstation 2 games console at the E3 show in Las Vegas

AOL says it will demonstrate a new service that includes voice instant messaging for Sony's market-leading PlayStation 2 video game console. AOL has said the demonstration at E3, the video game industry trade show in Las Vegas this week, would include music programming, movie trailers, TV show clips, and footage from a new feature of AOL Games called "AOL Players Club", showing members executing special moves in Sony games.

AOL said the showcase would feature "AIM Talk," a service that would allow PS2 owners with voice headsets to communicate with other instant messaging users on other PS2s or PCs.

The demonstration is also intended, AOL said, to show off the capabilities of Sony's 40GB hard disk drive for the PS2. That drive is available in Japan but is not expected to be available in the US until 2004.

Sony and AOL first announced a deal for AOL services on the PS2 in May 2001. When Sony unveiled a video camera for the PS2 on Tuesday, it said one of the applications it envisioned was instant messaging with video chat.

Last month AOL asked the US Federal Communications Commission to lift restrictions preventing it from offering advanced instant messaging services like video conferencing.
article

sounds cool since its saying you can talk to people on AIM through a PC as well as a PS2
Old 05-14-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright.. am I the only one who's starting to think that all these gimmcks that Sony and MS are adding to thier machines are going to distract FURTHER from the quality of games (as if that was possible)?
Old 05-14-03, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pixyboi
Alright.. am I the only one who's starting to think that all these gimmcks that Sony and MS are adding to thier machines are going to distract FURTHER from the quality of games (as if that was possible)?
Yeah, because MGS3, Jak II, Ratchet & Clank 2, GT4, and SOCOM 2 alll look absolutely horrible at E3.
Old 05-14-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OOh.. a rolleyes icon. I've been pwned.

Regardless of good games coming out, these kind of gimmicks are just being used to sell more systems to the more "casual" gamer. And when more of them are buying systems, more and more poor software is going to follow. While I think there are several great games on the PSX and PS2, that kind of marketing is exactly what made Sony the giant it is in the gaming industry.
Old 05-14-03, 12:26 PM
Retired

I don't think it will distract from the quality of games. Neither sony or MS make very many good first party games IMO, so they can focus on the hardware all they want and let second and third party companies handle the software.

My only concern with all these gimmicks is that a generation or two down the line it will be impossible to buy a machine that just plays games, and I'll be forced to either do without or exceed my $200 limit on game consoles and buy a multi-tasking machine that does a bunch of crap I either have no use for or already own stand alone versions of.
Old 05-14-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Man, you gotta love this! Every few hours one console one-ups the other. Then comes the retailiation.

Now how much of this is Vaporware????

aol (ay-oh-hell-no).....I'm sure that they are just looking for a way to make some money off of this "video game thing." I would stay far away from anything AOL.
Old 05-14-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the end of E3 the PS2 and Xbox will be able to wash windows and cook you dinner.

Oh crap.. PS2 already has a windows washing thing!

The Gamecube will still only play games thankfully. The moment Nintendo announces something non-game related on thier hardware I will cry.
Old 05-14-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Alright.. am I the only one who's starting to think that pixyboi is out of his mind?

Seriously....I'm all for these kinds of add ons. As long as they have the ability to do this I'm happy. I sure as heck wouldn't buy a PS2 HD at this point just to have these features. But with my XBOX I welcome added changes and features.

The games are still looking great so I think the focus is where it counts.
Old 05-14-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I am out of my mind. Thanks for noticing!

Hey, as long as there are still good games coming out, the extra stuff is welcome. What I'm thinking is, if the hardware is being pushed as a "do everything" machine, software developers may follow, that's what I'm afriad of. There've been a few consoles arelady that attempted this sort of approach and failed miserably.. the difference is that both the PS2 and Xbox are already established game machines, and it should stay that way, regardless of what else the machine can do. If being weary of what may come is out of my mind, then lock me up baby!

Old 05-14-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it'd be cool if Sony integrates AIM into their online games as to provide a better way of finding/communicating with your friends when you're in different games or just can't find each other in the different lobbies of the same game.
Old 05-14-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Starting to sound a lot like.....hmm....uh.....umm.....oh yeah!
Xbox LIVE
Old 05-14-03, 07:15 PM

Ooh, burn!! Sony was just totally burned.
Old 05-14-03, 07:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Xbox LIVE
You're right, it does sound like Xbox LIVE...Xbox LIVE with EA support.
Old 05-14-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
I thought E3 was in LA? Or is there one in Vegas now too
Old 05-15-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Xbox LIVE

considering all i play is EA Sports games.....it doesnt sound like XBox Live at all.........