Reload this Page >

UPN Fall 2003 schedule: possible move of Enterprise

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-14-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

As I speculated, UPN is kicking around the idea of moving Enterprise to Tuesdays at 8 (I predicted Monday). I would love to see it happen as the move of JAG has now opened up that a slot for me.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5953

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 9:17 AM
Greenwalt to Run 'Jake 2.0' as UPN Sets Series Orders
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - UPN is all set to order four new comedies and one new drama next season as the struggling network put the finishing touches on its fall schedule yesterday.

Here's a breakdown of the latest rumblings:

-- So far UPN has ordered just one new drama series: "Jake 2.0," a sci-fi action drama from writer Silvio Horta. Former "Angel" and "Miracles" showrunner David Greenwalt has signed on to the series which comes from Viacom and Roundtable Entertainment. He'll produce the drama with Horta, Gina Matthews and Grant Scharbo. As for its current dramas, the axe will swing on "The Twilight Zone" as "Jake 2.0" is set to be paired with "Enterprise." "Platinum's" fate however has yet to be determined.

-- On the comedy front, UPN has given series orders to four new comedies, all from Warner Bros. Television. As expected, the Will and Jada Pinkett Smith-produced "All of Us" and rapper Eve-led "Opposite Sex" got pickups, as did the Anthony Payne comedy "Rock Me Baby" and the redneck-themed "The Mullets."

-- All four of UPN's current comedies - "The Parkers," "One on One," "Girlfriends" and "Half & Half" - are set to return with two of them expected to move to a different night in order to tentpole a new two-hour comedy block.

-- Overall, UPN has made noise that its new comedy block could wind up on Wednesdays in order to avoid putting "Enterprise" against the WB's newly relocated "Smallville." The "Star Trek" series, along with "Jake 2.0" would then shift to Tuesday nights. Its Friday movie is also expected to remain intact.
Old 05-14-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd prefer "Enterprise" to stay on Wednesday night. With "Angel" being pretty much the only other weekday network show I'll be watching next season - barring some miracle freshman season of some new show - it'd be easier just to get them both out of the way on the same night.
Old 05-14-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably smarter from UPN's standpoint. If they want to establish a new block of comedies, they shouldn't try it on Tuesday or Friday where there are already 2 other networks on those nights with comedy blocks. Wednesday so far only has CBS with comedies at 9PM and FOX with with comedies.
Old 05-14-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MvRojo
It's probably smarter from UPN's standpoint. If they want to establish a new block of comedies, they shouldn't try it on Tuesday or Friday where there are already 2 other networks on those nights with comedy blocks. Wednesday so far only has CBS with comedies at 9PM and FOX with with comedies.

Yeah - lot of common viewership btwn Smallville and Enterprise, and speaking from a pure quality standpoint, Smallville would destroy Enterprise. I think UPN is realizing this.
Old 05-14-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With Buffy finishing and JAG moving, my early Tuesday hour was starting to look a little empty. I'm alright with the Enterprise move.
Old 05-14-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
as long as Enterprise doesn't conflict with anything on Tuesday like 24, I'm ok with the move.
Old 05-14-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
as long as Enterprise doesn't conflict with anything on Tuesday like 24, I'm ok with the move.
Les Moonves is pretty smart and is moving around CBS shows as well. I'm sure he sees that Enterprise would be better at 8PM since the male demo isn't targeted in that hour, while 9PM would require facing 24 in it.
Old 05-14-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
While it is a smart move for UPN (moving Enterprise) I'm still not all that pleased. So instead of conflicting with Ed on Wednesdays it's probably going to conflict with Gilmore Girls on Tuesdays. Usually two completely different demographics but it sucks for me.
Old 05-14-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by lisadoris
While it is a smart move for UPN (moving Enterprise) I'm still not all that pleased. So instead of conflicting with Ed on Wednesdays it's probably going to conflict with Gilmore Girls on Tuesdays. Usually two completely different demographics but it sucks for me.

Sounds like someone needs a PVR.
Old 05-14-03, 05:15 PM

and if no one notices.... Twilight Zone is history...
Old 05-14-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Londo •<HR SIZE=1>and if no one notices.... Twilight Zone is history... <HR SIZE=1>

Don't worry ... it will be back. Give it a few years, and PAX will resurrect it with the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen as hosts.

das
Old 05-14-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Londo •<HR SIZE=1>and if no one notices.... Twilight Zone is history... <HR SIZE=1>

Don't worry ... it will be back. Give it a few years, and PAX will resurrect it with the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen as hosts.

das
Old 05-15-03, 05:10 AM

I'm quite bummed about The Twilight Zone getting zapped. The second half of the season boasted some fine, fine episodes.
Old 05-15-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Acc'd to USA Today and tvguide.com, Enterprise is staying put. I don't know what the idiots are thinking over a Paramount.
Old 05-15-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Acc'd to USA Today and tvguide.com, Enterprise is staying put. I don't know what the idiots are thinking over a Paramount.
Given the track record with Paramount and Trek lately, "idiots" might be too soft a word.

Last edited by Chew; 05-15-03 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More information here about the new schedule.

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Though the network's most recognizable and critically respected show, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer," is going off the air, the UPN has just the man to pick up the slack. That would be Dan Cortese.

Actually, Cortese's comedy, " Rock Me Baby" will air immediately after the slot formerly occupied by Sarah Michelle Gellar, but it's symptomatic of a shift at UPN, which will be down to two scripted dramas next season. The network added only one drama, compared to four new comedies.

The first of those laffers is The Opposite Sex," which will occupy Monday nights at 8:30 p.m. ET, between "The Parkers" and "Girlfriends." Starring Grammy-winning rapper and "Barbershop" co-star Eve, Ali Landry and Natalie Desselle as single women navigating love, sex, relationships and work in the 21st Century.

Tuesday night, the former lair of "Buffy," is now stuffed with comedies. The night's anchor and only returning show is "One on One" at 8 p.m.. At 8:30 is "All of Us," executive produced by Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Loosely based on the domestic adventures of the power couple, "All of Us" stars Duane Martin as an entertainment reporter dealing with romantic and parental entanglements.

"Rock Me Baby," the Cortese vehicle, takes the 9 p.m. slot with its story of a radio shock jock dealing with parenthood. Closing the night will be The Mullets," with Loni Anderson and John O'Hurley. Taking the position that the mullet is more than a hairstyle, it's a way of life, the show will examine family and blue collar life.

The only new drama on UPN is " Jake 2.0," which will follow " Enterprise" on Wednesday nights. Christopher Gorham (" Popular") plays a computer technician who gets superpowers through the wonders of nanotechnology and becomes an NSA agent.

Thursday night will still be dominated by " WWE Smackdown!" and Friday night will be movie night on UPN."
Old 05-15-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

What I don't understand is why would UPN not pick up shows that did marginally well (much better than any UPN shows) that were dumped by other networks such as Fastlane, John Doe, The Agency, etc?
Old 05-15-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I don't understand is why would UPN not pick up shows that did marginally well (much better than any UPN shows) that were dumped by other networks such as Fastlane, John Doe, The Agency, etc?
I wouldn't mind seeing Firefly paired with Enterprise on Wednesday nights.
Old 05-15-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's official

MONDAY

8:00-8:30 PM - THE PARKERS
8:30-9:00 PM - OPPOSITE SEX (N)
9:00-9:30 PM - GIRLFRIENDS
9:30-10:00 PM - HALF & HALF

TUESDAY

8:00-8:30 PM - ONE ON ONE (NT)
8:30-9:00 PM - ALL OF US (N)
9:00-9:30 PM - ROCK ME BABY (N)
9:30-10:00 PM - MULLETS (N)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM - ENTERPRISE
9:00-10:00 PM - JAKE 2.0 (N)

THURSDAY

8:00-10:00 PM - WWE SMACKDOWN!

FRIDAY

8:00-10:00 PM - UPN MOVIE FRIDAY

Link
Old 05-15-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
It would be awesome if they picked up The Agency. I think it could succeed if it had a better time slot. The Saturday night slot is the kiss of death. I mean, who the hell is home on a Saturday night watching tv?
Old 05-15-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Yippee Enterprise is staying put. Though as Red Dog pointed out, I'm going to research a PVR just in case - I mean this is UPN we're talking about, not the most reliable bunch.