Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Share the Love International (R1)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-13-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just browsing the titles in the DVDTalk Share the Love Database and I realized that the majority of foreign films that are available in region 1 from Amazon aren't even on the list. (I added a few and requested them.) It just struck me as kind of odd, especially because there are several region 1 releases that are supposed to be as good or better then their other region counterparts. I checked the Region Comparison Database just to determine what R1 releases are acceptable and could be purchased from Amazon.

Currently, of course, Amazon doesn't have any coupons. However, if you have Amazon nickels saved up and any gift certificates, Amazon could be the best option, especially with the free shipping over $25.

Here's a list of R1 releases that seem acceptable to purchase from Amazon with STL. Of course, a couple are non-anamorphic, which may be a deciding factor for some. For me at the moment, it's not. If I like the movie enough, I'll buy it again when I eventually get a widescreen HDTV (probably years).

Any thoughts, opinions, comments would be appreciated. And, if anyone wants to share the love for any of these titles (especially for Junk, recently available at Amazon), please do: [email protected].

<HR>

Audition: The R1 contains the best extras (including a commentary from the Director) but is non-anamorphic. The German R0 is anamorphic, but contains few extras.

Another Heaven: Not listed in the Region Comparison Database.

Junk: R1 is non-anamorphic (1.66:1). The anamorphic option is R2 UK (1.85:1).

Shiri: R1 has a superior picture and extras with English subtitles (where necessary). R0 has a vast amount of extras (although most are in Korean only), DTS sound (which is better than the Region 3 release) and superior packaging.

Visitor Q: R1 comparable to R0 German.

City of Lost Souls: R1 Ventura has an anamorphic picture and extras.

Happiness of the Katakuris: Not listed in the Region Comparison Database. (I purchased this last night from Borders B&M with a gift card and 10% off coupon for a total of $19.25.)
Old 05-14-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, etc. on this? The purpose of my thread wasn't just to ask for someone to share the love with me. Really.
Old 05-14-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am all for it....if the rest of the guys around here dont mind!
Old 05-19-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I am all for it....if the rest of the guys around here dont mind!
Thanks, but apparently you're the only one. I'm still the only one requesting love for the majority of titles I mentioned.

It's sad too because if I buy them, no one benefits from my purchase(s).
Old 05-20-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

too sad indeed.....International titles I guess need more promotion around here.....o, well.....let me know though....I am up for assissting you with this one....
Old 05-20-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
too sad indeed.....International titles I guess need more promotion around here.....o, well.....let me know though....I am up for assissting you with this one....
I think one of the problems is that a lot of people in this forum (International DVD Talk, that is) have purchased overseas copies of many of the movies available in region 1. As a result, few people want to purchase them from Amazon.

I rented Shiri the other day and will probably watch it tomorrow. I'll probably get it from Amazon if I like it.

I obtained a copy of Visitor Q the other day too. I'll probably watch it sometime this week.

Oh, and as for Junk, the zombie movie that's non-anamorphic here in the US, there's a post on the Fangoria forums that details why this is the best version--compared to the anamorphic R2 releases. The Fango forums apparently are dead (or I can't get to them), but when they're back up, I'll try to find the post.