Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Francois Ozon Box Set- R3 assistance?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the Koreans are about to put out a very nicely done set (on the outside at least) by F.Ozon.

Some of this movies are actually available in the US (Criminal Lovers, Under the Sand, etc,) however they are either not in their OAR or not anamorphins and with a really poor transfer. I do own some of the French discs which are quite good and with more than decent English subs....HOWEVER this set appears to be more complete so to speak as it includes the short movies of F.Ozon, some of them also released in the US but not all.

The films appear to be all 16/9....or so does the description indicate....do any of the Korean talkers know anything about the set? I know that there are a few people that post here from Seoul......shall I trust that ALL of these films will be anamoprhic?
What are the Korean laws like? Shall I expect any cuts in Criminal Lovers.....if there's even a slight chance that these films might be cut then I will pass. Please, assist me if you know anything...

The price also looks more than decent- 60$.
The set includes the following:

1. Sitcom

2. See the Sea

3. Criminal Lovers

4. Water Drops on Burning Rocks

5. Under the Sand

6. Short Films:
a) X 2000
b) Bed Scene
c) Little Death
d) Truth or Dare
e) Summer Dress (NOT included in the US collection).

So it comes down to 10$ per disc before shipping!!

Here's the official link:
http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=9513

Any assistance will be highly appreciated!!
Old 05-13-03, 07:31 AM
Cool New Member

Isn't it the same as the French DVD Box?

Amazon France

-----
Markus
Old 05-13-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the short films in the French boxset I dont think have English subs...
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=4524

....so, I was hoping that the Korean disc actually has them. If anyone can confirm that would be great.....
Old 05-30-03, 12:32 AM

As far as I know, there is no cut and no cloud, however, some exposed scenes are magnified due to Korea law. When the completed DVD is available, the title can be exchanged FREE.
Sure...nobody knows when it is available...

Oh...I'm Korean... ^^

Dubbing : French
1.85:1 anamorphic wide screen (Yeah!!!)
Subtitles : Korean English (!!!)
Audio : DD 2.0
RC3

1. See the Sea
2. Sitcom
3. Criminal Lovers
4. Water Drops on Burning Rocks
5. Under the Sand
6. Short Films of Francois Ozon

http://dvdprime.intizen.com/files/up...82849657_1.jpg
http://dvdprime.intizen.com/files/up...82849657_2.jpg
http://dvdprime.intizen.com/files/up...75729867_1.jpg
http://dvdprime.intizen.com/files/up...75729867_2.jpg

Last edited by cyberzec; 05-30-03 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 07:09 AM
Cool New Member

Manufacturer : Spectrum DVD announced that they will exchange uncensored version anytime when censorship permit to release that (korean censorship does not permit any frontal nudity and pubic hair exposed at any circumstances usually)

there is coupon to exchage chair(last linked picture above) valid to august this year

Last edited by koy50; 05-30-03 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
[B]the short films in the French boxset I dont think have English subs...
Actually, they do, even though you won't find them advertised on any website. I bought mine from Cinefrance, where the disc was sold as being WITHOUT English subs. But when I popped the disc into the player, there they were.
Old 03-14-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to dig this thread up, but does everything in the French box have English subtitles?

And is it confirmed that the Korean set is edited? The box looks nice...
Old 03-14-05, 06:08 PM

I own the French box set. All of the films have optional English subtitles. The commentaries however are not subtitled. This set is one of my favorite items in my collection. The transfers are excellent and a couple of Ozon's really early shorts from his days in film school are also included.
Old 03-15-05, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cynthia
Sorry to dig this thread up, but does everything in the French box have English subtitles?

And is it confirmed that the Korean set is edited? The box looks nice...

The French set is clearly the one to get. Since I started this thread (a long time ago) much has been said about the Korean set which I will restate-not worth to get when you have the option of having the French set (which also happens to offer subs for the films).

My advise...R2!

Pro-B
Old 03-15-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone point me to a review/info about the French set? A search of this forum produced very little, and I can't seem to locate the French set or even the individual titles in the French release on DVD-Basen.
Old 03-15-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

French...Sous le sable....
http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-2188-.php

set...
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=5227

By the way the old discs/versions were re-issued.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 03-15-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, it looks great! Should I look particularly for the re-issue?

I guess the Korean release is considerably subpar? I ask mainly because it's about half as much, but also because if the transfer quality is roughly equal (and not a PAL>NTSC convert), then the NTSC would likely fare better on my equipment.
Old 03-15-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Wow, it looks great! Should I look particularly for the re-issue?
I would. This is easily one of the best sets to come out of France. It is superb!

Pro-B

ps
The Korean release is a port.
Old 03-16-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
ps
The Korean release is a port.
Sorry for the additional questions (I wasn't aware this set existed until yesterday!)... is the Korean port subpar in some significant way? I'm finding the French release to be more than twice as much ($110 vs. $50 for the Korean), and I'm wondering what might justify that much higher price?

And thanks very much for all the help!
Old 03-16-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Richard:

As you know ports are usually associated with the so-called "ghosting" (to which I am very sensitive). In this particular case it is a known fact that Korean companies and Spectrum in particular "port" all of their French titles. Some of the most atrocious transfers of French films come from Korea (the notorious NOVO, Belphegor...). With this said I do not know what equipment you have at home-you might be less sensitive.
For me however this is an issue of apples and oranges...you are looking at a superb set that is flawless in nearly every category and a package that is less expensive yet poorly (in my opinion) produced. For me The French set is well-worth the 100$ but I can not decide for you.
I wish I had the proper software on my computer to post a few screenshots from the French set...

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-16-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No need to post the grabs... I know exactly what you're talking about, and the post-conversion ghosting drives me nuts (and alot of these titles aren't correctly flagged for progressive scan to boot).

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-28-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK... still researching! I can across this post regarding the French boxset: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...on#post3186641 ...that seems to indicate that "Regarde le mer" is not subtitled. It's identified in that post as a "short", and while perhaps not of full feature length, I was not under the impression that this was one of the non-subbed "shorts" in this set.

Obviously, this would change things drastically for me. Can anyone confirm whether subbed or not subbed (and, for that matter, any other surprises that I might find regarding this set)?
Old 03-28-05, 03:09 PM

I have the set myself and can confirm that the DVD containing "Regarde la Mer" and the other shorts DOES contain optional English subtitles. Even though it is not advertised, all of the shorts are subtitled.

There really is nothing to be wary of regarding this set. The picture quality of all of the releases is perfect. All of the films contain English subtitles. The only negative is that the print used for "Regarde la Mer" is not in the best condition. There are some scratches. Other than that, it is an amazing set and a must for all Francois Ozon fans.

Here is a link to the menu screens for the "Regarde la Mer" DVD. (Note: This is the out of print edition. The DVD is still available. The listing at Amazon France for the in-print version does not include the screen grabs.)

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...#more-pictures

Last edited by bjackson; 03-28-05 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks! This looks like a great set.

Here is a link to the menu screens for the "Regarde la Mer" DVD. (Note: This is the out of print edition. The DVD is still available. The listing at Amazon France for the in-print version does not include the screen grabs.)
Pro-B mentioned that the Coffret had been re-issued, as with "Regarde la mer", but i take it there's no difference between the two releases (the "out-of-print" and "in-print" editions)?
Old 03-28-05, 08:08 PM

As far as I know, they are exactly the same.
Old 03-29-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just placed my order at amazon.fr. Can't wait, but looks like I'll have to, if only a little while!

For North American customers, the total rings up at EUR 69.06 plus shipping, which is certainly somewhat less painful than EUR 83,00 plus shipping. In fact, I was so pleased that I selected the "express" shipping for an additional EUR 5,50 over the standard cost, for a grand total of EUR 85,46. Sorta pricey, yes, but once it was confirmed that all the short films were subbed in English, the value of this set increased a good bit to me. I spent some time on IMDb looking at these shorts, and was surprised to discover that some of them are actually fairly long and look to be positively fascinating.

I suppose Grimfarrow may emerge from the shadows to castigate me for this, but this all began for me with a reviewing of "Sitcom", and my realization that even (arguably) second-rate Ozon evokes a very strong reaction in me, opening a little place in my brain that lies somewhere between a strongly-felt sense memory and an early morning half-conscious dream. It's hard for me to describe the appeal of Ozon, personally, but it has little to do with the stories, the social satire or commentary; it's more about living in the world he creates, the rhythms he conjures. It's very evocative of.... well, something I can't quite put my finger on.

Thanks, Pro-B, bjackson, and Paganpoet for all the help -- and thank-you, Cynthia, for resurrecting this thread!
Old 03-29-05, 07:47 PM

I really think you're going to enjoy the set. Not only are the contents of the discs top notch, but the packaging is attractive as well.

I have been a huge fan of Ozon's work since I saw "Sous le Sable" a few years ago. After "8 Femmes" I was hooked. I loved that film so much that I actually wrote Ozon a fan letter. He was kind enough to reply with a personalized autograph and a postcard from the film.
Old 03-29-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Korean set is poo...

Seriously, stay away. I had this and got rid of it ASAP.
Old 03-30-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Sorta pricey, yes, but once it was confirmed that all the short films were subbed in English, the value of this set increased a good bit to me...
Remember...French production houses treat their directors with utmost respect...hence, some of the higher prices. However in my opinion these are money well spent as the value of this will not decrease. In addition, the fact that the Ozon set offers English subs is just an added bonus.

Let us/me know when you get the set and your thoughts...

Bon appetit!!

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-30-05 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-30-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only unfortunate aspect to all this is that Amazon.fr says it'll take 1-3 weeks to dispatch the order (but I did get express shipping!), and estimates delivery from mid- to late-April... which seems like forever.

It's not an entirely rational preference, but it's nice to get DVDs of films from their respective country of origin, particularly when they're presented in such lavish sets. Unfortunately, the Japanese and French releases are often not English-subbed, because otherwise I'd have a ton! As it is, I only have a few Japanese sets and this will be my first French set.

I will say this for the Korean set... that's quite a plush looking box! I wonder if the picture makes it seem nicer than it is? Regardless of the build quality, it is a very nice design. (Of course, the artwork on the contents may well be ridden with typographical errors, strained syntax, and laughably poor blurbs.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.