Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Public Season Finale (05/12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Boston Public Season Finale (05/12)

An OK episode, I guess. As soon as "Biff" started talking about resources, I knew that Harper would make cuts to sports. I don't know if cutting all sports programs would fly in the real world, but it's a good way to save the faculty, I guess.

I could've done without Whitney's terrible acting, though. The singing I could've done without also. Oh well.

Glad to see Lipshultz not going away anytime soon. Also glad to see Danny and Claire get married. Hopefully they can incorporate her into the show next season. The writers probably could've left him waiting at the courthouse and started it there for next season to see if Claire showed up. I think they probably didn't since Boston Public is on the bubble to be renewed.
Old 05-12-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Guber was good in this episode - I loved how he started the budget cuts from scratch by going over the custodial supplies. "$740 for liquid soap per semester...". The budget surgeon is too much.

Is it me, or is Ronnie turning into a power-hungry, self-righteous bitch? They have swung her character from being the most-liked to one of the least-liked in a matter of two months.

I used to think Whitney was pretty about ten years ago. She looks awful now - age/drugs/eating disorders have caught up w/ her terribly fast. She was wafer thin...I could have done w/out the singing as well, but what would Boston Public be w/out the damn singing?

I did like the ending w/ Danny and Claire. For a moment, I thought that she might not show up, but then I thought, "No, they can't possibly s**t on him anymore than they already have." Good to see his character going in a positive arc for once.
Old 05-12-03, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if cutting all sports programs would fly in the real world, but it's a good way to save the faculty, I guess.
This is what the Portland metro area schools in Oregon are looking at right now: sports and other extra-curricular programs being cut, and it looks like it may go through, too.
Old 05-12-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Boston Public Season Finale (05/12)

Originally posted by Deftones
I think they probably didn't since Boston Public is on the bubble to be renewed.
Now that I think about it, this was a pretty good series finale. At the very least, some of the storylines were wrapped up, although, Marcie's pregnancy was left unsolved. If the show does return, she wouldn't (she's a senior, right?), so it would have been nice to resolve that.

And Brooke just straight out disappeared. Fine with me, really, even though there was no explination.

The Whitney crap was just horrible. The whole storyline was stupid, the constant use of that damn song, everything....yuck yuck yuck.
Old 05-13-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was an OK episode, not a your typical OMG-I-Can't-Believe-What-Just-Happened-type season finale episode.
Of course Danny and Claire would get married, it was a matter of what would happen leading up to it.

And right when I saw Guber...I knew by the end of the episode he'd come back..."I spent the whole week watching the Food Network."

We really could of done without Whitney singing...eeh
She is wasting away...she looked 85 pounds. The price you pay for snorting coke of whatever she did.

The sad thing is is that we have to wait probably another for new episodes
Old 05-13-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whitney Houston? What are you people talking about? That was Eartha Kitt on stage! Father Time has a mean streak.

Guber smugly sharpening pencils with his granny glasses balanced precariously on the end of his nose as he gets ready to do his thing on the budget =

When did "Biff" move to Boston from Stuckeyville? Poor Molly lost another boyfriend.

Honk!
Old 05-13-03, 02:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I kept hoping Bobby would come out from behind the stage with coke covering his face and bust something over the kids head and start cussing out Whitney. That would have made it the best Boston Public ever.

ok episode overall. One of the websites I was looking at said it's been picked up for next year. Hopefully they'll dump Tamyra and stay away from this year's AI cast. I liked the ending with Claire and Danny.
Old 05-13-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does seem like it was picked up for another year. I stopped watching this a while back, but had it in the background last night. Whitney H did look horrible, but the rest of the show was ok.
Old 05-13-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Boston Public will most likely to relegated to the Friday graveyard position on Fox's schedule next season.

Whitney did look pretty bad. She's got a weird tongue thing going on when she sings. That song wasn't all that impressive either (obviously just pushing her "Just Whitney" album).

Glad Tamyra Gray did not sing in front of Whitney. That would have been just too much.

The resolution of the budget crisis was okay. Biff was one-dimensional but provided the impetus for the solution.

Ronnie needs to be let go, she's been turned so unlikable on this show. Lipshitz's reaction to Steven taking him up on his offer to resign was classic Lipshitz.

I liked the Danny marriage subplot.
Old 05-13-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
WTF happened to Whitey Houston? She got beaten over the head with an ugly stick. Thank goodness for FF.

And Brooke just straight out disappeared. Fine with me, really, even though there was no explination.
Old 05-13-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
Ronnie needs to be let go, she's been turned so unlikable on this show.
I know. Everytime I see her on screen I think, "oh look, the shady bitch is back."
Old 05-13-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When Harper told Guber that Brooke got into Harvard, I was kind of pissed. Couldn't she have gone to school in Atlanta or California? Somewhere far away where she won't be able to pop up on the show from time to time. She's cute, but her character is obnoxious as hell. The last few weeks have been a little better w/ her absence.
Old 05-13-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't miss Brooke one bit.

Marcy still looks like she's about to give birth to a litter.
Old 05-13-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why did this episode remind me of those early rock 'n roll movies where it always ended up at the prom or big spring dance, and someone announces "Hey kids - Bill Haley just stopped by and agreed to sing his hit song for us!" ? Probably because it ended up at the prom, and someone announced.... oh well.
Old 05-13-03, 10:31 AM

I liked this epsiode. Maybe they will get back to good plots if they are around next season. They now have some kind of stability within the ongoing story. i.e. danny married, budget crisis resolved, teachers are happy. But it makes me wonder, what are they going to write about now that there are no sports and budget crisis? Hopefully no singing, geeez
Old 05-13-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
It would be ironic if they do move BP to Fridays (at 8 presumably). That would put it up against DEK's new offering on CBS.
Old 05-13-03, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Biff sure loves shows about schools. First he was Coach Fredricks on Freaks and Geeks, then he was another coach this seaon on Do Over, then on ED, his son was being harrassed at school because he was a nerd, and of course Biff was a Jock, and now Bost Public. Damn, that was a long sentence.