Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

simple problem, simple answer???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a dvd player hooked up to my tv via the component connections, but i do not have component cables, instead, i use composite cables (R,Y,W). my question here is, if i upgrade to actual component cables (R,B,G), will i notice a difference? (audio not issue here, just dealing with video).
Old 05-12-03, 10:14 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Maybe.

Your connections should all be 75 ohms. Only the yellow one of your current cable is. Whether you could see the difference depends on the quality of your player and especially, the size and quality of your TV.

Why not go to Radio Shack and try out their cable? If it helps, keep it. If it doesn't, return it. You just might have to know what to get though because they don't label it very well. I could look it up if you want.
Old 05-12-03, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, thanks for the insight, i have a 27" sony flat screen, 3 comb digital filter and what-not, anyways, i realize the yellow is video and the other are for audio, but i get nice picture. i was just wondering that if i went all out for component cables if i would notice an increase in quality., as for the lookup, unnecessary, but appreciated, thanks for the reply
Old 05-12-03, 10:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I also have a 27" Sony flat screen. I don't think the filter, etc. matters when dealing with component input.

I have a DVD player connected with Radio Shack cables to the component inputs of the TV. Looks as good as I think the TV can look. I don't think I ever tried out composite cables on it.
Old 05-13-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by GotMilK?
anyways, i realize the yellow is video and the other are for audio, but i get nice picture. i was just wondering that if i went all out for component cables if i would notice an increase in quality
The red and white, being audio cables, probably don't handle a full bandwidth video signal that well. I am not a proponent of "high end" cables, but three video cables (made of same coax to same length) would perform better. Either modest price component cables (the colored plugs help you keep track of inputs) or three "yellow" cables (but you have to keep track of corresponding inputs, and its important they be same length) would give some quality improvement.