Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What and where is your favorite bookstore?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Curious to know if everyone has a "favorite" book store they like to frequent, or one they used to go to a lot. Tell us what and where it is, and what you like about it!

I'll chime in with three:

Square Books in Oxford, Mississippi where I went to college. Phenomenally good for a smaller store with a great literature selection and knowlegeable staff. Its best asset, however, has to be the amazing store appearances they get. In a college town and they often manage to draw the biggest names -- John Grisham, Amy Tan, etc.

•_The Strand in Manhattan. If I had to pick my 'dream bookstore,' this would be it. Absolutely massive used book store with cavernous bookstuffed hallways in a big ol' warehouse type environment near Greenwich Village. Great selection and a place you can just get lost in.

• In a class by itself... Powell's out here in Portland, Oregon. The biggest bookstore on the planet, I think, or at least one of them. Like the Strand but has new AND used books, literally known as the "city" of books. Best selection I've ever seen and very clean and well organized. Prices on the used books a little high but you can pretty much find anything you're looking for there.

Anyone else?
Old 05-12-03, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powell's Books here in Portland Oregon. I've been shopping at it since I was 14, I worked there for 5 years. They trained me to be an antiquarian book dealer.
Old 05-13-03, 08:26 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Uncle Hugo's/Uncle Edgar's bookstore at 28th & Chicago in Minneapolis is my all-time fave. I try to stop in there once a week and there is always new inventory.

http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/
Old 05-13-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore in Salt Lake City, UT was a killer new and used shop. Also contrary to their name and location makes it sound they weren't a religious bookstore.

Then when i went to college in Morgantown, WV there is a great little new and used shop there called the Bookshelf. Granted i worked there for a couple years and am friends with the owner so i have a connection to it. Also it is right next door to a good pizza place with cheap cheap pies.
Old 05-13-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hate powells. HATE. H A T E.

If they would fire everyone and hire a staff that actually gives a crap about customers, that would change.
Old 05-13-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in college, I used to love the Avenue Victor Hugo bookshop on Newbury Street in Boston. Mostly because they made an effort to keep as much Harlan Ellison in stock as was possible - given those "in between" years where Ellison's earlier novels were only available in cheap paperback editions.

Here in Chicago - I'd be hard-pressed to even list one bookstore that I actually liked. Everything here seems to be over-run with Borders and Barnes & Nobles and (*shudder*) Waldenbooks.

I do frequent Unabridged Books down on Broadway in Boystown - simply because it's basically the last bookstore in the city that seems to have a decent section devoted to gay and lesbian books.
Old 05-13-03, 01:45 PM

The Tattered Cover in Denver!
Old 05-13-03, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Hate powells. HATE. H A T E.

If they would fire everyone and hire a staff that actually gives a crap about customers, that would change.
It's been better. The unionization ruined staff/management relations and that manifested itself as even worse customer service. There are still some really good people who work there. Friends of mine. For the most part though you're right. The customer comes last at Powell's these days. But, whatever. I can find what I want there without their help.
Old 05-14-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Old Book Store in Northampton, Massachusetts. It's a great little used bookstore half-hidden from view, since it's on the basement floor of a building and you have to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the door, plus it's on a side street. But if you find it, it's great! Cheap prices, lots of neat books, and a very friendly and nice owner.

For easier-to-find used bookstores, I like the Harvard Book Store (downstairs section). Half cover price... no minimum. Yay!
Old 05-14-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wheaton Public Library, Wheaton MD.

Their basement has about 80,000 books with pretty good prices.
Old 05-15-03, 12:49 PM
Suspended

When I lived in Atlanta my favorite bookstore was Oxford Books. In Portland, OR, it was Powell's. I've been in D.C. and Northern VA for six years off and on now, and I have yet to find a physical bookstore here that I really like.
Old 05-15-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To Browse:
Bauman Rare Books in NYC

To Buy:
The Strand in NYC
Old 05-15-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best bookstore that I have ever been to was The Strand in New York City. I went to New York City 6 years ago and I was just exploring the city when I stumbled across this incredible store. I must have bought 10 books, and my car was parked in New Jersey! I had to carry them to the all the way to the ferry and eventually across the country. Man, I love that store!

Around here, I shop at Tower Books and sometimes Borders.
Old 05-15-03, 01:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm surprised...both of my choices have already been mentioned...

Sam Weller's in Salt Lake City
The Tattered Cover in Denver

I particularly support The Tattered Cover after they stood their ground against over-enuthasic law enforcement officials who wanted them to divulge private information of their customers. I'm in Denver quite a bit, and I always try to stop by and buy something...anything...while I'm in town.