Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The In-laws

Old 05-12-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The In-laws

I saw the sneak of THE IN-LAWS on the weekend, the new Michael Douglas/Albert Brooks comedy. The film is about Steve Tobias (Douglas) a CIA agent, whose son (ryan reynolds) is getting married. Steve goes to meet his In-Laws and gets the bride's father (Brooks) into a whole lot of trouble.

The film has some decent action and some very funny dialogue, but both story and action wear thin as we go, and by the end, you're hoping the movie will be over. It is entertaining enough, but it's a pretty hard sell, especially opening in two weeks agains Bruce Almighty.

It's just over 90 minutes but feels like 120, which is part of the problem. Brooks is great as usual and Douglas is quite funny, but the script just doesn't give them enough to work with. The film just wasn't funny enough to recommend. I'd say to wait for the disc or check out a cheap matinee.

MATT
Old 05-24-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um...bump