Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

question about sega saturn system

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about sega saturn system

i just got my hands on a saturn, and need some help since i have no clue about this system at all. ok, whenever i turn it on, i have to reset the time and language. does this mean that i need a new battery? Also, to save games, do i need a memory cart? or is there some memory on the system. I have an import mem cart, will that work for us games (I'm assuming no)? thanks guys.
Old 05-11-03, 07:30 AM

your CR2032 battery inside is dead. that's why you always have to set the system time. The system does have a sort of built-in memory card in it, but it doesn't hold much at all. you'll have to get one for the slot on top of the system. the import card will do just fine. Many of those cards have built-in gamesharks and 4MB RAM for ganmes such as Xmen vs. Street Fighter(import).
Old 05-11-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
There is a slot on the back or side for the CR2032. They are easily available at stores like Wal-Mart. As an aside the Sega Dreamcast VMU's use the same kind.

Have you got many games? I can't recommend Nights highly enough. If you can find it, there was a promo disc of it called Christmas Nights that has to be played or your gaming life is incomplete.
Old 05-11-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What drbuns said.... in addition, if you want to play import, get this:

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html

It lets you play almost any import games (even those that require extra memory carrtidge, this one has builtin ram), and more memory storage space (like those PSX memory cards). It is a very good product and you don't have to modify your system or anything.
Old 05-11-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiant Silvergun.. yeah I know it's about $150-$200.. but there are "other" ways, and this is one of maybe 3 cases where I would even suggest those unconvential means.. no gamer should go without playing this game.
Old 05-11-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, since the import mem cart would work, i have another quesiton. I've been trying to save things, but nonthing gets saved, do I first need that battery for anything to be saved if the first place? Or else I don't know what i'm doing wrong to save these games.

yeah, i do plan to get nights sometime soon. I don't know about radiant silvergun, little too steep for me. thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-11-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The battery is also where your saved games are stored.
Old 05-11-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a while since I played my Saturn so my info may be wrong. Can someone verify this?

I'm not sure if you can save directly to the cart. I've always transferred from the system to the cart.

Have you tried the above before turning the system off? The system may have a temporary save so you can transfer the file to the cart without having a battery.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Some games I still have and recommend:

Fighter's Megamix
Fighting Vipers Japanese Version (has Pepsiman as a secret character)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sega Rally Championship
World Series Baseball "98 (one of the best, although I haven't played other baseball games since so I don't know about the current versions available)

Last edited by Gideon68; 05-11-03 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-11-03, 04:42 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I had to do once the battery died. Have the memory cart inserted, play the game, save, go to the system menu and import the save from the system memory to the memory cart.

Does anyone know of any good import sites or sites that still sell Saturn games? I've tried Buyrite Games, but some of the ones I've ordered they didn't even have in stock and it can take over a month before I finally get my order.
Old 05-11-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
Yeah, that's basically what I had to do once the battery died. Have the memory cart inserted, play the game, save, go to the system menu and import the save from the system memory to the memory cart.

Ok, I might just be stupid, but I can't get this to work. After saving, I open the cd door to get to the system manager. Then go to memory manager, but the only options i get are erase memory or clear all. Am I doing something wrong? I have this mem cart w/japanese written on it, so i assume it is an import, could that be the problem?
Old 05-11-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your memory card might be dead.... sounds like it anyway.
Old 05-11-03, 08:59 PM

Hmm, I too have a Japanese memory cart, but it's made by Sega. However, this is the process I have to do in order to save.

-Play the game
-Save
-Open drive door
-Go to system manager
-Go to memory manager
(okay here's where it seems to be different from you)
-My memory manager screen has 2 sections: System Memory and Cartridge Memory
-Under System Memory I have 3 choices: Copy Item to Cartridge, Remove Item, and Clear
-Cartridge memory is the same with the first option being "copy item to system" instead
-Now I click on "copy item cartridge" to save to the cart.
-This brings up a screen that shows what game saves you should have on your system memory
-Then you are asked what you want to save onto the cart
-click and confirm your choice and it saves to the cart

If the process is different for you, I don't know what to tell you. Is the system itself an import or a u.s. model?
Old 05-11-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I have a ST-Key to play imports I could sell you (cheaper than the one in the link).

I also have a copy of Vampire Saviors w/ a 5meg card:
http://www.ex.org/3.6/43-game_vampiresavior.html
Old 05-11-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I highly recommend Sega's 'Baku Baku' for Saturn! This is one of the greatest puzzle games ever made!!
Old 05-11-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KrackerBox
Ok, I might just be stupid, but I can't get this to work. After saving, I open the cd door to get to the system manager. Then go to memory manager, but the only options i get are erase memory or clear all. Am I doing something wrong? I have this mem cart w/japanese written on it, so i assume it is an import, could that be the problem?
Using an import shouldn't be the problem since I use one too.

Like "Lastblade" says, your memory cart may be damaged. I had an import one that went out on me and I had to buy a new one. Best way to test is to replace the battery, save something, and then try transferring to the cart. This way you'll have two save options.

I've bought new games for older systems at gexpress.com. They're pretty quick in fulfulling orders and I've never had a problem. Just choose "more" on the system choice bar on top of the page and you'll be taken to older system options.
Old 05-12-03, 05:21 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my opinion, a better Saturn game than Dragon Force (or DF2) doesn't exist... They are especially hard to find though, as well as super expensive once you do find them.
Old 05-12-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shining the Holy Ark is an excellent Dungeon hack/RPG... I just finished it about 2 months ago and had a blast doing so! Panzer Dragoon Saga, of course, is my favorite RPG in the 32bit genre so if you can somehow get a copy, this is a MUST PLAY.
Old 05-12-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hehe, so many 'must plays' but all so expensive.