Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Widespread Panic "Ball"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Widespread Panic "Ball"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Widespread Panic "Ball"

Damn, this album is really, really good. Everytime I start to get away from WSP, they do something that proves me wrong, and this is their best studio album since Everyday. "Fishing" is one of the best songs they've ever recorded, and "Don't Wanna Lose You" is up there as well (and is a great tribute to Mikey Houser).

I haven't seen WSP since Mikey died and George McConnell replaced him, but I'm impressed with McConnell's work on this disc. The sound is different, and I miss Mikey, but McConnell is a great guitarist.

By the way, the disc is only $9.99 at Best Buy. Well worth picking up for any fan of jambands or southern rock...
Old 05-12-03, 12:36 AM

Bump...does nobody else own this disc?
Old 05-12-03, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked it up, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. How do you feel it compares to some of their other albums? What do you think of them putting non-road-tested material on the album - do you think it enhances the album any?
Old 05-12-03, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Bump...does nobody else own this disc?
Never have been a WP fan. I'm familiar with a small handfull of their songs. I actually own "Light Fuse, Get Away" or something like that, which I acquired through my college radio station. Never took the time to develop an appreciation for them though.
Old 05-12-03, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Shemp
I just picked it up, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. How do you feel it compares to some of their other albums? What do you think of them putting non-road-tested material on the album - do you think it enhances the album any?
I do think that it enhances the album that these songs haven't been played live. When I first listened to the disc, I didn't have any preconceived notion about how the songs were supposed to sound. Plus, I think it's appropriate to do an album full of new stuff to welcome McConnell to the band.

I haven't heard any shows from the current tour, so I have no idea how the songs are live. These are some of the most well written tunes I've heard from WSP though...a little darker than usual perhaps, but that's only fitting given the tragedy they've seen recently.
Old 05-12-03, 02:25 PM

This album has served as my introduction to the group having never heard them before. So I can't compare it to their previous work, but I think it's a quality album.

My favorite song is "Longer Look" with "Thin Air", "Sparks Fly", "Meeting of the Waters", and "Travelin Man" being up there too.
Old 05-13-03, 10:44 AM

Second only to the Dead, Widespread is my favorite band. I love the album, and although Mikey can never be replaced, McConnell does a great job. I love the album and thanks gdrlv, I didnt even know it was out. It will take a while to get used to not seeing Mikey up there, and not hearing his haunting guitar licks on Little Lily, Pusherman, and Down.