Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Headbangers Ball playlist and thoughts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is what they played. The ones I liked are in bold:

metallica - one
godsmack - straight out of line
killswitch engage - fixation on the darkness
powerman 5000 - free
disturbed - remember
mudvayne - not falling (2.0)
hatebreed - perseverence
suicidal tendencies - you can't bring me down
stone sour - inhale
shadows fall - destroyer of senses
staind - price to play
(hed)pe - blackout
the datsuns - in love
black label society - stillborn
superjoint ritual - f**k your enemy
high on fire - hung drawn and quartered
metallica - fade to black

It was a great choice to open the show with "One". Metallica did a good job of hosting, but the show would have been more special if they showed a new Metallica video. They did flub some of the cue cards though. I thought James got out of rehab

Why the Datsuns were played is beyond me. They were terrible. I was hoping for some Lamb of God, but eh maybe next time. This show needs to be three hours, and have special segments like one for Hardcore, or one for Death Metal.

Rob Zombie hosts next week, and special guests are Staind. Staind isn't metal. No disrespect to their fans or anything, but they aren't a metal band.

Atleast there was no Limp Bizkit. Speaking of which, when James mentioned they would be playing on with them this summer, James looked a little uncomforable.

Hopefully the show will get a core host as well.

All in all a decent show, but if you have Much Music USA, this wasn't nothing you haven't seen before.

Last edited by cerial442; 05-11-03 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-11-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice to see Killswitch Engage, Suicidal Tendencies and Shadows Fall getting play

And of course its always great to see Metallica vid's.

Other than those 5, I'm not too thrilled.
Old 05-11-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you heard High On Fire? Really really heavy stoner rock. Reminded me of Motorhead a little (Even though Motorhead isn't Stoner Rock though).

I am hoping in the future though some bands like Soilwork or Arch Enemy also gets played.
Old 05-11-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Ministry?

No Helmet?

Even though I don't currently have access to Headbangers' Ball, I'm glad the show's back.
Old 05-11-03, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the new headbangers ball sucks.........its sad they included mainly all mainstream platinum rock.....not metal at all.......ofcourse we all enjoyed the BLS video.....never get tired of the Zakkster!
Old 05-11-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Looked at the playlist and saw Suicidal Tendencies and thought that at least they threw in one oldie, but then suddenly realized that they probably only included it because of Robert Trujillo.

I mean, Jeezus, would it kill them to throw in some old stuff with the new?
Old 05-11-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Headbangers Ball playlist and thoughts

Originally posted by cerial442

Rob Zombie hosts next week, and special guests are Staind. Staind isn't metal. No disrespect to their fans or anything, but they aren't a metal band.
Ahhh, how quickly we forget. Don't you remember when STP was on Headbanger's Ball and played Plush? It wasn't always metal.

That setlist is crap, though. I'd like to see alot of different stuff on there. Some Sepultura, Type O Negative and similar bands would mix it up a bit.
Old 05-11-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It kinda sucked. It was cool they Played Suicidal and BLS, but it was mostly the Nu-Metal that I hate. Sure I expect them to play Nu-metal, but mix it up with some Priest or Maiden. They don't have to play just old videos by classic bands, there are plenty of newer videos by Priest, Maiden and such that never got any airplay. This is thier chance.
Old 05-11-03, 02:41 PM

That's cool that they played High On Fire...I'm sorry I missed that. Ditto for Killswitch Engage.

Yeah, seeing some Soilwork or Arch Enemy would rule. I'm fairly impressed by that playlist and that they didn't just pander to the nu-metal crowd. I'll have to start tuning in now.
Old 05-11-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it seems this show plays the same videos that MTV2's Extreme Rock plays during the week, they need to focus on making it special and exclude bands like Killswitch Engage (not metal IMO), Shadows Fall (horrid) and anything remotely popular........as all of their videos are played on Extreme Rock multiple times during the week anyway.........play at least half old school stuff like Motorhead, Slayer, Maiden, Priest.......then torture us real metal fans with the new crap.
Old 05-11-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I forgot about the STP thing in the past.

You guys have to remember though back in the days of the original Headbangers Ball. I mean how many crap bands did we have to sit through before we saw a Naplam Death or Prong video. Although I wish the new version of the show had segments like "In The Pit" (all death metal). But give it time.

Atleast they played a Suicidal video.

Also, yeah it is the same videos they show on Extreme Rock, but this show will probably get more viewers. Extreme Rock is still listed as All Things Rock Countdown on my digital cable. If kids who are into Disturbed turn into the show and see videos by bands like Killswitch or High on Fire, it is going to introduce them to a whole new world of metal. The same thing happened with me, and hopefully it will have with someone else.

How cool would it be if you tune in though, and see an old school Entombed video?

Originally posted by demonio
they need to focus on making it special and exclude bands like Killswitch Engage (not metal IMO), Shadows Fall (horrid) and anything remotely popular........
Shadows Fall is real metal. You may not like them, but it is the same style as bands such as Testament. Killswitch Engage is a metalcore band, they mix hardcore and metal. Their new singer Howard still fronts a hardcore band called Blood Has Been Shed.

Last edited by cerial442; 05-11-03 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-11-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going NUTS when the beginning of You Can't Bring Me Down came on. That is my all-time favorite S.T. song. I just wish they didn't have to bleep it.

I remember back in '94 when S.T. was opening for Metallica they opened with that song!
Old 05-12-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Think they just played ST because Rob was hosting?

I love ST. I still listen to them all the time.
Old 05-12-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. That tracklist is L A M E.
Old 05-12-03, 01:34 PM

Itc seems like i didnt miss anything but a Hatebreed video that i would have liked to see.
I wonder why REAL metal bands like Cannibal Corpse or Cradle of Filth even bother making videos because nobody plays them.
I remeber the good ol' days of coming home from school & flipping on the TV and Mtv would be playing Maidens "The Trooper" or Priests "Breaking the Law" & now all you see is hip-hop.
MTV is no different than BET.

Last edited by jk4w; 05-12-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cradle of Filth's video was banned from MTV2. Much Music (now being called Fuse) plays it alot though.

Iron Maiden has a new CD coming out in September, if the show is still on, then I am sure they will play the new Iron Maiden video.

Yes, the main reason they played a ST video was because of Rob. But then again, so what? Suicidal is a great band, and they probably introduced a lot of kids to them on Saturday night. The main point is though is the fact that they played them. Suicidal for life!

Extreme Rock plays the newist Hate Eternal video, so expect that to be played sometime.
Old 05-12-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What? Headbanger's Ball without videos by Warrant and Vixen? Oh, what has metal come to?
Old 05-12-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how was the power man song? i see they have a new album coming out, wondering if it was in the vein of the last album or not.
Old 05-13-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venom
how was the power man song? i see they have a new album coming out, wondering if it was in the vein of the last album or not.
It was weak. I didn't really even sound like them.
Old 05-13-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Powerman once again changed their gimmick. They are like Modonna. Let me just say this though, it is better for bands to be themselves.

Anyway they dropped the space stuff, and the song had no keyboard/electronic elements to it. That would be fine, but they were also ripping off Marilyn Manson as well. In the song, they say "Living free is a tragedy", and Manson said something exactly like that on Hollywood.

First they were rap metal, then they were sci-fi nu metal, now they are trying to be a stright forward rock band. I wonder what sound they will move to next.
Old 05-13-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cerial442
Powerman once again changed their gimmick. They are like Modonna. Let me just say this though, it is better for bands to be themselves.

Anyway they dropped the space stuff, and the song had no keyboard/electronic elements to it. That would be fine, but they were also ripping off Marilyn Manson as well. In the song, they say "Living free is a tragedy", and Manson said something exactly like that on Hollywood.

First they were rap metal, then they were sci-fi nu metal, now they are trying to be a stright forward rock band. I wonder what sound they will move to next.

oh well. i figured they would do this. i did like their last album though.
Old 05-14-03, 01:30 AM

And Powerman's lead singer has been watching too much Billy Idol. Damn, I missed the ST video, that would have made my night. Any info on Phil's new band Superjoint Ritual? Song wasn't enough for me to really get a feel, but I absolutely love Down and wish he would make that his permanent gig.

Cereal, please don't even tease by mentioning Entombed, it's far too much to ask. They can do so much more with this format, I hope they give it a chance.
Old 05-14-03, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, I feel old because this isn't the Headbangers Ball I used to stay in on a Saturday Night to watch.

I know times have changed and I don't expect to see the same Ratt, Dokken, Maiden and Sleeze Beez videos from 10 years ago, but for the love of god... Staind?!? Staind isn't metal at all! It's bands like Staind that killed off the Headbangers Ball to begin with. Aweful mumble at the floor grunge alternative rock. Call me old school but Hard Rock and Metal used to be fun, now I turn on the local hard rock/metal radio station and it's one dull boring "mumble at the floor about how depressed I am" song after another.

I liked the old Headbangers Ball because they played the whole scale of Metal from Warrant to Skid Row to Savatage to Judas Priest to Morbid Angel to Sepultura and everything in between. I hope the new Ball also has the same varity of the old Ball. If it's nothing but this "nu-metal" post grunge stuff, you can count me out, all be watching my old tapes of the old Ball.

Also... please reject any videos where the guy raps, wears a baseball cap or has dreads.
Old 05-14-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ozzy's Bat Head,
It would be great to tune in and see an Entombed video. Hopefully when the new album is done (they are writing/recording now I think) they will have a video. They could always play the video for "Wolverine Blues". That would rock.

turborobb,
The singer from Shadows Fall has dreads, so does Chris Barnes from Six Feet Under, as well as the singer from Locked In A Vaceny. It doesn't matter about someones hair style, it depends on the music. The bands I mentioned, non of whom are nu metal.

Jamey from Hatebreed wears a baseball cap, and Hatebreed is a New York style hardcore band.

You mentioned that the older Headbangers Ball played glam rock. Well, glam was the big fad at the time, such as nu metal is now.

Everyone wanted the Headbangers Ball back, now it is, just no one remembered how much crap you had to sit through to see a great video.

Staind isn't metal, but neither is STP or Rancid, which were both played in the old days.
Old 05-14-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by turborobb

Also... please reject any videos where the guy ... has dreads.

don't like soulfly/sepultura?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.