Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What was this tv show??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was this tv show??

Ok, I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of a tv show. I'm guessing it was on around 20 years ago, and definitely on cable (I'm thinking Showtime). The host was a comedian with red hair and I think he was Canadian. They did skit comedy and every episode seemed to have a topless chick. It also had a phony stunt man named Super Dave that would come on and do these insane stunts that would never go right. And the actor who played the stunt man would come out during some of the skits, claiming to be the producer and talk about how terrible the skits were going.

Anyone???????
Old 05-10-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
John Byner's HBO show Bizarre.
Old 05-10-03, 12:29 AM
Banned

yeah, that's it! thanks!
Old 05-10-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yes. Super Dave Osbourne (aka David Einstein, aka Albert Brooks' brother), and his fabulous Japanese announcer "Fuji". I'm not sure it was HBO, though. Seems like I remember it on Showtime as well.
Old 05-10-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
You're right, it was on Showtime.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...personid-12351
John's prior series Comedy On The Road ran for 4 years on the able Network and won him his 2nd ACE Award. His 1st ACE Award was received for is show Bizarre that ran for 6 years on Showtime and later syndicated.
http://www.extravalue.com/video/superdave/about/
Super Dave Osborne, "the greatest daredevil superstar entertainer in the world today", first began appearing on a semi-regular basis (once every 3 or 4 shows) on the "Bizarre Show" starring John Byner in 1980, performing death-defying life-threatening acts of daredevilry, the likes of which had never been seen before and have absolutely never been equaled by anyone living or dead. By the middle of that first season it became apparent to the two networks (CTV in Canada and Showtime Cable in the US) that they had a very popular performer on their hands.
Old 05-10-03, 12:41 PM
Banned

The Super Dave skits were funny, but I loved it when the guy who played Super Dave would come out on stage as the producer and interrupt the skits and tell the host how badly the show was going...
Old 05-12-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A great show that needs to be on DVD.
Old 05-12-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

They are several different shows from my childhood that I'd like to see given the DVD treatment. Soap, Bizarre, Police Squad, Gong Show, Night Stalker...