Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"X" back together and on tour!!??!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this is old news, or if my info is wrong, but....
according to my newspaper "X". with all original members, is back together and will be playing Boston on June 16. This is one of those bands that I only really discovered after their heyday, and never got a chance to see them. They've grown on me so much---I now consider them maybe the greatest American rock band of the last 25 years, and I never thought I would get a chance to see them. Yahhhhhhhh!!!!

I don't really keep up on the music scene that much-----have they played in the last couple years? Anybody see them recently? Anybody else psyched to see them?
Old 05-09-03, 04:31 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm astounded they're all still alive.

A glance at www.allmusic.com confirms they've been touring as a quartet again on and off since 1998. I really had no idea, even though I used to love them, up until Ain't Love Grand, which sounded like a bad 38 Special album to my ears.
Old 05-09-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.38 Special??---now that's just uncalled for!

No, I can see that a fan of the early stuff would not like their later direction. I really only came into them after Ain't Love Grand, and then backtracked, so I like all of their stuff (well, maybe not the "Wild Thing" cover...). In fact, Burnin' House of Love, and the later 4th of July are two of my favorites. Definitely a cool band.
Old 05-09-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL... .38 Special. Ya know, I don't think I'll disagree with you except to say that "See How We Are" wasn't half bad.

I saw them 10 years ago when they reformed and I was thrilled having never seen them before. When you say all of the original members do you mean Billy Zoom is playing guitar? This would surprise me. He didn't join them the two times I saw them in the past. No THAT would be cool.
Old 05-09-03, 05:51 PM
Banned

X is by far and away the greatest American punk band. They've been touring, yes. Saw the Portland show, it wasn't all that great (I've seen them many times since the early 80s). They've seen their best years.
Old 05-09-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I saw them a few months ago in Seattle (with Billy Zoom). I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as when I saw them in the early/mid-80s, but a lot better than the last time I saw them (around Hey Zeus...they were testing out new stuff, and it was pretty dull, + no Billy Zoom).

It was good seeing all the original members again, and Billy Zoom seemed to be having a pretty good time.

They basically played every single song from their first two albums (I think there was one they missed, but I can't even remember what it was now), plus a few of the better songs from some of their later albums.

If you are a fan, especially if you've never seen them, or if the last time you saw them was not with Billy Zoom, you should definitely go.

As far as Ain't Love Grand, I know I'm one of the few, but I like a few of the songs somewhat--My Goodness is a great song to listen to while reading Pet Cemetary (it was just serendipity that I figured this out).

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-09-03 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
LOL... .38 Special. Ya know, I don't think I'll disagree with you except to say that "See How We Are" wasn't half bad.

I saw them 10 years ago when they reformed and I was thrilled having never seen them before. When you say all of the original members do you mean Billy Zoom is playing guitar? This would surprise me. He didn't join them the two times I saw them in the past. No THAT would be cool.
The fantasic Mr. Zoom is indeed in the reformed line-up. I've seen them twice over the past three or four years. Easily one of the best live acts I've seen. Do yourself a favor and go. Billy still exudes major coolness with that wide-legged stance and big grin.

I'm going to have a make a trip to his amp repair shop one of these days...just to get an autograph.
Old 05-12-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is very cool news!!
Old 05-12-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I actually taped them in 2001 at the HOB and Billy Zoom got a copy of my recording. He repairs amps in Orange, CA (right near me) and loves to hear himself on guitar. They played again Fri and Sat night this weekend at the HOB and I didn't go. (almost did, but...)

I saw them many times in the heyday, then me and the wifey saw them in 1993 (new lineup) and again in 2001, she was amazed how much better they were with Billy Zoom.
Old 05-12-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought you meant X Japan.