DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Question for those of you with tv tuner cards

DRG
05-09-03, 04:03 PM
I just got my new Dell with the ATI All In Wonder 9000. The card has the coaxial cable input so I can watch/record tv on the computer. I have regular cable, not digital.

For some reason the picture from the cable source isn't great. It's not bad, mind you, but it doesn't look as good as the tv sets in my house. DVDs and other high quality video files look great on the computer, so its not the video card. Someone had told me broadcast cable will look worse on a monitor than a tv because it the higher resolution reveals the flaws in the NTSC picture...

My question is for anyone else who has tv tuners... how is your picture? Does it rival your tv or is it a little worse? And if it is due to the monitor resolution, will it look fine on my tv once I burn it to a DVD-R?

X
05-09-03, 04:28 PM
I have a separate tuner card, not an AIW. Because of that, I can move my card to a slot where I get less interference and I can use third-party apps such as DScaler. DScaler, which doesn't support the AIW cards, deinterlaces and has many noise filters that you can adjust to get the best picture.

On my 19" monitor the picture is very good. With my face stuck right up to it I notice some inperfections, but sitting back a bit as you would with a TV or using the video in a window, the picture is great!

Ranger
05-09-03, 04:37 PM
X- which card you using, the Promise one?

X
05-09-03, 04:43 PM
If you mean Pinnacle, I use that on one computer and the I/O Magic (which is essentially the same card) on the machine with the 19" monitor I was talking about.

I have several Hauppauge cards, including the expensive PVR one. I gave up on them due to the picture having too much noise.