Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Today's Superman director is: Jonathan Frakes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/ar...2493243,18844,

Jonathan Frakes Directing Superman?
Friday, May 9, 2003 10:14 CDT

According to a source for Superhero Hype!, Thunderbirds director and Star Trek vet Jonathan Frakes may be on top of Warner Bros.' list to helm their new Superman movie. He is said to have met several times with the studio, while filming his current movie at Pinewood Studios in London.

If this goes through, Frakes would be the fourth director to attach himself to the project. Originally Tim Burton was developing the project, which went into development hell. Then McG was announced as the new director. He moved on and Brett Ratner took the helm, which didn't work out either.

Rumor has it that the studio is already scouting locations in Alberta, Canada for some shooting on the film so perhaps we can expect some firm announcements soon.

:yawn: This is never going to be a real movie is it...
Old 05-09-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Maybe the could have each director that's been announced film a couple scenes...edit 'em together...and we might FINALLY see this flick sometime this millennium...
Old 05-09-03, 01:22 PM

Actually Frakes is a much better pick than either Ratner or McG.

Although why WB just doesn't ask Dick Donner to do it is beyond me.
Old 05-09-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
I'll take Donner or the Wachowski's.
Old 05-09-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
Actually Frakes is a much better pick than either Ratner or McG.

Although why WB just doesn't ask Dick Donner to do it is beyond me.
Point A. Is he a much better choice? Yes, Star Trek: First Contact was exciting, but he's been pretty naff lately. Lets see how Thunderbirds turns out...

Point B. Because Dick Donner is still upset over the Superman II debacle, which is why his footage wasn't included in the DVD release, then there's the lawsuits, etc. etc...

IN Question - Next Superman Director?
OUT Question - Next Bond?
Old 05-09-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie was doomed from day 1..
Old 05-09-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
I'll take Donner or the Wachowski's.
The Wachowski's?!

Didn't someone last year claim that Peter Jackson should direct the next Star Wars?
Old 05-09-03, 02:05 PM
Banned

This movie should not be made.
Old 05-09-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
The Wachowski's?!

Didn't someone last year claim that Peter Jackson should direct the next Star Wars?
PJ isn't Star Wars material, but that's another thread in itself.

The Wachowski's are the golden boys of WB now. And if those shots of Neo flying around like Supes ain't enough, I dunno what would be? I think they could capture the look and feel of the comic books than Bay, Burton or Ratner have.

What would you reather have them do? King Conan?
Old 05-09-03, 04:24 PM
Banned

Now this sounds like a much better director than Brett Ratner. Jonathan Frakes is a fantastic choice.

It had been said that Frakes wanted to do more directing than acting.

You've all probably seen the work he did with the Star Trek films like "First Contact" and "Insurrection".

The movie "Clockstoppers" was Frakes first directorial movie outside of Trek, if you haven't seen that movie please do, after you see it, you would realize why they would pick Frakes to direct "Superman".

I think Frakes would pull it off extremely well if he gets officially signed to do this movie.

*prays for a Christopher Reeve cameo appearance in the remake*

(even if he's still in a wheelchair, Christopher Reeve is still acting but mostly for TV though....)
Old 05-09-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone

*prays for a Christopher Reeve cameo appearance in the remake*

(even if he's still in a wheelchair, Christopher Reeve is still acting but mostly for TV though....)
I think he's always been slated for a cameo of sorts in all the incarnations of this movie. I always guessed they'd make him be Professor Hamilton cuz it would match since he's in a wheelchair as well.
Old 05-09-03, 04:33 PM
Suspended

You'll believe a movie can suck.
Old 05-09-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I think he's always been slated for a cameo of sorts in all the incarnations of this movie. I always guessed they'd make him be Professor Hamilton cuz it would match since he's in a wheelchair as well.
You're thinking Professor Xavier. Professor Hamilton has a prosthethic arm but he can walk...unless they've done something in the recent comics that I haven't gotten around to reading...
Old 05-09-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
You're thinking Professor Xavier. Professor Hamilton has a prosthethic arm but he can walk...unless they've done something in the recent comics that I haven't gotten around to reading...
I'm pretty sure it's Hamilton. I mean, I know who Xavier is.
Cuz one of the last comics I read dealt with him(Hamilton) helping how to contain Supes into the suit designed for him by LexCorp when he turned Blue. It was also around the same time that the Burton Supes rumors were starting and that's when I put the Hamilton/Reeve connection with regards to the movie.
Old 05-09-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I forgot my smiley.."" glad you saw my joke. [some comic geeks get obsessive about this stuff..]

As far as the "blue" Superman...is that around the time Superman turned into a "blue" Superman & a "red" Superman? If so, I stopped buying the books during that magnificent storyline..
Old 05-09-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen clockstoppers, and it pretty much sucked.
That last trek movie he directed, insurrection, wasn't too hot either.

I say let jeff kanew direct it.
Old 05-09-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I WANT RIDLEY SCOTT!!!

Jonathan Frakes track record has left me pretty cold. He's a competent director but without any discernable style nor sense of dramatic tension, pacing, or flair.

You might as well get the guy who directed My Big Fat Greek Wedding or some other such blandness...
Old 05-10-03, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by lesterlong
This movie should not be made.

I second that may this movie get stuck in developmental hell J Frakes should focus on other movies rather than this one and yes his track record for directing has not been impressive Insurrection sucked bigtime just be grateful he did not direct ST: Nemesis.
Old 05-10-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I say let jeff kanew direct it.
Because Lord knows, VI Warshawski is a forgotten classic. After all, she's as sexy as she is smart!

Let Chris Cunningham do it.
Old 05-10-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
If Bryan Singer can do the X-Men, maybe Chris Nolan would be a good choice for Superman.
Still, I can't imagine any whay this film doesn't suck. It's the most doomed film in history. God knows how much they've spent on it already ($20 Million for Nic Cage alone).
Old 05-10-03, 07:22 AM
Banned

Chris Nolan would be a great choice too but the only problem with that is, he's already signed to do the next Batman movie....

Personally, I think they should give the job to Christopher Columbus once he gets done filming the Harry Potter films.
Old 05-10-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I doubt this will come to pass either. Frakes would be doing little more than pointing the camera in a direction and yelling action.

IMO, let the Reeve version stand. It is something that simply cannot be replaced.
Old 05-10-03, 10:33 AM
Banned

If they can get Dean Cain to play Superman, then it would turn out really good.

I really can't see no one else to play Superman but either Dean Cain or Christopher Reeve. Since Reeve is in a wheelchair obviously, Dean Cain would be the only actor that would fit the Superman role perfectly IMO, no one else.

Trying to get Nic Cage to play Superman is just laughable as hell and sad.
Old 05-10-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Chris Nolan would be a great choice too but the only problem with that is, he's already signed to do the next Batman movie....

Personally, I think they should give the job to Christopher Columbus once he gets done filming the Harry Potter films.
I didn't know that about Nolan, if anything ever came of that, it would be interesting.

As for Columbus though, he is done with the Potter movies. He's only producing this one, and although I suppose he could jump back in the directing chair in the future for them, producing usually doesn't involve much (well I mean in his case. Real movie producers can do a lot of work).

My advice would be to get a big Superman fan. Sam Raimi did so well in Spiderman not only becaus eh's a good director, but because he's a big fan too. I think that would help any choice a lot. Don't just go for a name director, but one who's a fan himself of Superman.
Old 05-10-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Jonathan Frakes is an excellent choice!