Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Pump Up The Volume Review?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-09-03, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any body got this? Its cheap, its widescreen, its in 5.1, and I remember liking about ten years ago. But I haven't seen it reviewed.
Old 05-09-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Grab it - the movie holds up very well, and although it's a barebones issue, it's one of my favorite DVDs.
Old 05-09-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still enjoy watching this one. For the price it's a no brainer.
Old 05-10-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great movie...and cheap DVD. Pick it up.
Old 05-13-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it man! Everybody knows...Everybody knows...
Old 05-14-03, 01:56 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I bought it yesterday and it does hold up really well and I'd forgotten how much I loved the soundtrack. After the classic Heathers and this did Christian Slater just hit the skids or what? Has he starred in another decent movie?
Old 05-14-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by westerbergrules
After the classic Heathers and this did Christian Slater just hit the skids or what? Has he starred in another decent movie?
There are probably several thousand young actors who wish they were on the same "skids" as Christian Slater. While some of the films he has done since have been less than blockbuster, his performances in such movies as True Romance, Interview With A Vampire, Broken Arrow, Where The Day Takes You, Murder in the First and Windtalkers have been consistently fine.

Also keep in mind that that he returns to the theater (he was a chld actor) and I saw him on Broadway about 3 years ago co-starring with Edie Falco (Carmella Soprano) in Sideman.
Old 05-15-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He was also in Robin Hood Men in Tights! Another classic!
Old 05-15-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Slater was in Men In Tights. He was in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves with Costner and Morgan Freeman, if thats what you were thinking of.
Old 05-15-03, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

/start ramble

I know this is slightly off the topic but, for the person who mentioned Everybody Know, I warn people not to buy the soundtrack for that song. The group that did it for the Album is Concrete Blonde whereas the song in the movie is by Leonard Cohen and it does not even compare. I know this as I purchased the album way back to get that song. Boy was I dissapointed. Then I spent about 2 weeks tracking down the version that was from the movie.

/end ramble

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-16-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by greegor
/start ramble

I know this is slightly off the topic but, for the person who mentioned Everybody Know, I warn people not to buy the soundtrack for that song. The group that did it for the Album is Concrete Blonde whereas the song in the movie is by Leonard Cohen and it does not even compare. I know this as I purchased the album way back to get that song. Boy was I dissapointed. Then I spent about 2 weeks tracking down the version that was from the movie.

/end ramble

Thanks for listening.
Both versions are in the movie
Old 05-16-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cdollaz
Both versions are in the movie
yep, after reading that post I watched it again last night and sure enough they were both there (i'm assuming the original one is played at the end when they're driving in the jeep).

I didn't know Seth Green was in this!
Old 06-20-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one movie I am glad to have the full frame version included on. From the description on the back it sounded as if it would be P&S but I assume it is open matte correct?

The Samantha Mathis scene is better in the full frame version.
Old 03-23-18, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Pump Up The Volume Review?

"Pump up the Volume" is an amazing film- both funny & tragic. I just re-watched this for the first time in a while. It's definitely got a late '80's feel, which makes sense since it was probably filmed in '89.

Excellent soundtrack as well, including The Pixies, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, and others.

I thought it was interesting how the CS character was so reserved while at school, but then became very outgoing/extroverted/opinionated when he hosted his own personal radio show. This reminds me of certain radio hosts I've heard about over the years who are introverted in person, but became completely different people when they're on the air and are somewhat "protected" - LOL.