Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Anyone catch the latest trailer at the official website? http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/lx...ler_large.html Now this is more like it. To be honest I've been looking forward to this movie for quite some time but my interest waned somewhat once I read the first comic book series. It was just too good and it was obvious that the film would be quite different.

Based on this new trailer this movie seems it's going to be like The Count Of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviesel and Guy Pierce: a poor adaptation but a great standalone adventure film. Anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am?

BTW, my friends had told me that there is a different trailer of this movie (they saw it before X2) that features some funny banter between Sean Connerry and Shane West but so far the website has yet to have it available for download.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-08-03 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats the trailer I saw before X2. I liked it.
Old 05-08-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Which one? The one in the link or the one my friends told me about?
Old 05-08-03, 02:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The one in the link
Old 05-08-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the new and old trailer, this looks to be a sequel to the avengers.

It looks bad.. it looks beyond bad. I think they knew of the comic, but decided to forgore just about 99% of it and pull stuff out of their rear.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=trailer
Old 05-08-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I just read the latest issue of the sequel to the original comic series (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2 #5) today, and my heart sank, because that comic was so f***ing good and I know the movie is not going to have one fraction of the heart, intellect and horror the comics have contained. Another brain-dead Sean Connery flick. Frankly, after Avengers and Entrapment I'm thinking it's time for him to retire. Oh well, at least I'll always have the comics...
Old 05-08-03, 04:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
My only gripe with this is that word has it that the sequel is set to feature Tom Sawyer the most as that is who americans can relate to
Old 05-08-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, none of the trailers have seemd to even get into who the characters are, historically at least.
Old 05-08-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Another brain-dead Sean Connery flick. Frankly, after Avengers and Entrapment I'm thinking it's time for him to retire.
Those flicks weren't bad because of Connery---they were poorly scripted and badly directed. No one could have salvaged those movies.
Old 05-08-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey i liked Entrapment

As for League, i've never heard of the comic book and the trailers don't pique my interest at all. It seemed like the rest of the audience at X2 when this trailer aired felt the same way. The only interest for me is because of Connery... and even that's not enough to make me go. I'll wait for reviews.
Old 05-08-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope to catch this at Matinee prices.
Old 05-08-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by audrey
Those flicks weren't bad because of Connery---they were poorly scripted and badly directed. No one could have salvaged those movies.
They weren't bad because of Connery, but the fact that Connery did them means he's making poor choices.
Old 05-08-03, 09:33 PM

Personally I liked the trailer a lot. But it looks to be very stylized, and this trailer doesn't tell me whether this movie is good or not. It could be a great adventure movie, I haven't read the comic, but as a stand alone film the stuff I saw has the potential to be a very entertaining movie. On the other hand, the stuff I saw could also be the coming of The Avengers part 2. let's hope for the former, cause I think this could be really fun. Norrington did a good job making Blade in my opinion, so hopefully he still has some skills. This director definately seems more apt to make a big movie like this than the director of The Avengers, who's only good movie was Christmas Vacation.
Old 05-08-03, 10:59 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i think it looked hell cool !

i know nuttin bout the comic so i'm gonna see it as a stand alone film with some cool FX
Old 05-08-03, 11:31 PM

Mild Spoilers?

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I just read the latest issue of the sequel to the original comic series (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2 #5) today, and my heart sank, because that comic was so f***ing good and I know the movie is not going to have one fraction of the heart, intellect and horror the comics have contained. Another brain-dead Sean Connery flick. Frankly, after Avengers and Entrapment I'm thinking it's time for him to retire. Oh well, at least I'll always have the comics...
Oh cool, I was just wondering when the 5th comic would be out! I own and have read the LXG comics (up until the 4th of vol. 2) and I'm still pretty thrilled about the up and coming movie adaptation. The LXG has got to be one of THE most intelligent comics ever created with a great ensemble of characters, a sweet anachronistic/fantasy plotline, and superb dialogue, but I think the movie will turn out in a fashion similar to that of Singer's first X-Men flick. Paraphrasing myself: "I see most movie directors or screenwriters as newbies in the comicbook world who want to establish an alternate universe. Anyone who's a fan of comics knows how skewed the alternate universes typically are; they can be ten-fold better than the original or the most contrived, melodramatic, nonsensical piece of sh*t you've ever read/seen." With the addition of Dorian Gray and Agent Sawyer, Mina's change, and other slight background changes in the original characters, it'll be like Stephen Norrington's alternate universe for LXG.

Pros:
-Picking this comic was an excellent move.
-Director: Stephen Norrington
-Movie Score Composers: Mark Isham and Trevor Jones
-Cinematographer: Dan Laustsen
-(Personally, I like this change in Mina, but there will be obvious plotholes if things aren't properly explained...)

The ONLY Con and My Primary Concern:
-Screenplay Writer: James Robinson (look at this guy's track record...) *sigh*
Old 05-08-03, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know nuttin bout the comic so i'm gonna see it as a stand alone film with some cool FX
You might wanna skip it. The effects are as bad as I've ever seen, especially for a film with a 110 million dollar budget.
Old 05-09-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
You might wanna skip it. The effects are as bad as I've ever seen, especially for a film with a 110 million dollar budget.
Ohmigod! Terrell, keeper of the flame for CG lovin', bashing a movie based on fx?!?

Now I've read everything!

Sure, the CG looked crappy (really crappy), but I think I'll wait to see what they do with the story before I make a real decision, a la Hulk.
Old 05-09-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I must be the only person who wants to see this. I mean, it looks it might be decent, I'm not hyped like I am for the other event movies, but I think I'll give it a chance.

I read that Connery passed on parts in The Matrix and The Lord of the Rings and he didn't want to pass on what could be the next blockbuster movie franchise.

But from the vibe I'm getting here doesn't look like LXG is going to be it.
Old 05-09-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Seriously, after watching the new one I still have to say: WTF did they do to the setting? This is Victorian England? Why do they have the freaking 6 wheeled car and submachine guns. It might be cool to see another hand-cranked gatling and definitely a big elephant gun, but the stuff they have is soooo freaking stupid.
Old 05-09-03, 01:48 PM

I think it looks pretty bad. And the whole LXG thing really annoys me.
Old 05-09-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Based on the new and old trailer, this looks to be a sequel to the avengers.
That's what I'm afraid of too. I hope it turns out better than it looks.
Old 05-10-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
I think it looks pretty bad. And the whole LXG thing really annoys me.
I agree that the LXG thing is lame, but they don't even plug it in the latest trailer... it seems now they are just calling it "THE LEAGUE" for short, rather than lxg... but for the website, since they already had the domain registered, I think they are leaving it at that....

I am looking forward to it because it has a good director, cool concept and Connery, but they need a new marketing approach ASAP... give us an X2 style trailer that INTRODUCES all the characters (by name) ... because the latest trailer has some cool action, but no context... it would draw a bigger crowd if they start marketing the literary characters coming together gimmick... and fast...

MATT
Old 05-10-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by iggystar
I read that Connery passed on parts in The Matrix and The Lord of the Rings...
"The name is Shmith. Agent Shmith".
Old 05-10-03, 10:36 AM
Banned

I saw the trailer for this movie before X2 myself, and I enjoyed what I saw in this movie.

I really like Sean Connery so I'm definitely going to see this movie for sure.

It looks like a fun film.
Old 05-10-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't interested in this movie when i saw the teaser. As soon as I found out Norrington was directed it, I'm excited. I was wondering whatever happened to him. It looks like Mummy 3 though. Hopefully it will have good action sequences like Blade.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.