Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Counterstrike cheaters...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Counterstrike cheaters...

Can't they get rid of the ability to wallhack? What happened to Punkbuster? I've been playing the new Steam beta version and there's tons of wallhack cheaters. Makes me sick.

"Hey - you're cheating - I see you tracking people through walls"

"What??!? Whatever, looser. I dont cheet!"

I mean... what's the point? Just play like a normal person.
Old 05-07-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I play I sometimes get kicked when I do well. I don't even know how to cheat. It's all about the mods. Killing wallhacks is easy, just some servers lack the software needed. I don't play anymore out of frustration. I do well, I get kicked. I don't do well, I get kicked.
Old 05-07-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the # of cheaters is pretty insignificant. People just don't understand that there are people who clock in 2-3 hours a day for years at a time. When I was at my prime, I was an addict for about 9 months, and while I usually had a kill ratio of 1.2 to 1.5 on a skilled server, and 6 to 8 on a noob server, occasionally you play so well that even you don't believe it. Some days your reations are better, and your ping is great, and everything falls into place. There have been times when I strafed by a window, and got 5 hs in that split second. That doesn't mean I cheat, it just means i played long enough for that series of coincidences to occur, 90% of the time I shoot thru the window and nobody is there.

When I was an Op at a server and we installed CSguard for the first time, I think about 3% of the regulars were banned for cheating, and maybe 10% overall.
Old 05-08-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not talking about people who are good at it - I'm good at it too... I'm talking about people who use wallhack and they can see through walls and their crosshairs follow someone who's behind a wall. It's friggin obvious when they do it and they need to die. Some people even try to "act" like they aren't using it by pretending to look left and right and behind crates just so people watching them won't get suspicious - but you can still tell when someone's using that cheat. It's weak.
Old 05-08-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped playing over a year ago and it was out of control then. Yes i've seen good players called cheaters but like Trigger said when you've played awhile you can usually tell which is which pretty easily.
Old 05-08-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Allright - I downloaded the cheat thing to see just how much of an advantage it gave people. Oh my god - you can see people through walls of course, but they're also bright blue or red making it even easier to see them. Plus, they have a big marker above their heads. Plus it allows you to run faster than everyone else. I spent a few minutes dominating because it was so easy - I also pretended like I wasn't using a cheat by looking around corners and not looking directly at the person I could plainly see behind a wall. That got boring quickly, so I spectated for awhile... It's amazing how many people are using this cheat - I'd say 60% at least. You watch people as they stupidly train on someone with their crosshairs through a wall and blast them right as they pop out. They need to fix this somehow. :/
Old 05-09-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is something I've wondered about with online gaming. My own online gaming experiences are very limited, but I've been playing Rainbow Six for online for about a month and I'm starting to think something similar is going on as well. I'm often times inexplicabley shot in the back for no good reason. People deny using cheats but I still believe they use them.

I know Rainbow Six has a cheatbuster 2.20 patch you can install. Doesn't Countrerstrike have something similar?
Old 05-09-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You on the beta. that could be one reason cheating is all over the place. Anything like Punkbuster and Cheating-Death really only last for a good month or two before some lamers find a way around it.

Generally you can't say all online gaming is like this. There is those cases, but really. go to places you trust and who also have the same views on cheating as you do and you will have a great time.

Another trick you guys are forgetting to mention is the simple Lan Hack. it is where two people will be playing the game through a lan. one dies and lets the other one look at the screen telling him where exactly the other person is. Look for similar pings with people who work together a lot. simple way around this is the server restricts a lot of the observation death view.
Old 05-09-03, 04:32 PM

This is why for games like Ghost Recon and Raven Shield 3, I only play co-op, sure its fun to blast other guys, but cheating sucks and a lot of people do it in the above games and CS. Dod 1.0 was good for a few days until the cheats started pouring in. Its really no fun to get killed over and over again by hackers.
Old 05-09-03, 05:27 PM

I'd say 60% at least. You watch people as they stupidly train on someone with their crosshairs through a wall and blast them right as they pop out. They need to fix this somehow. :/
Is that number right, I suck at this game but I play it once in a while, but a figure like that is discouraging. But wasn't a fellow dvdtalker kind enough to let us in on his server?
Old 05-09-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
It's the curse of the pubs, or in legalese, the tragedy of the commons. I play on the pubs alot, but when I am getting serious, and I don't care to truck with the llamas, I gather my tribe or clan or whatever and arrange a private match or ten with another group on a passworded server. Tibes2 and UT, that is.
Old 05-09-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the 60% guess is a bit much. I play all the time. Just make sure you play somewhere admins will be near to kick the guy out if they are cheating.
Old 05-09-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think 60% is about right - if you see a player using the weapons switch script, chances are they have others.

I've played with my roommate in the same room on the same server before and the whole "lan hack" thing isn't really much help at all. Maybe if our computers were closer together, but we can't really see each other's screens - all we can do is go "hey dude, he's on the left - no I mean right" "dammit, I'm dead" "Oops... I meant left."
Old 05-09-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If cheating is so bad, find a server that is actually administrated, or one that has admin_votekick enabled. A word to the wise, once you find that server, be careful who you accuse. Skill is often mistaken for cheating, and you can expect the most skilled to usually be the most credible players.
Old 05-09-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Trigger
"lan hack" thing isn't really much help at all. Maybe if our computers were closer together, but we can't really see each other's screens - all we can do is go "hey dude, he's on the left - no I mean right" "dammit, I'm dead" "Oops... I meant left."
then you're not doing it right..

60% is way to much if you ask me. To say that in every 6 of 10 games you go into, there is a cheater is stretching it. As stated, find servers that have the admin's there and talk to others. if someone is 30/1 and isn't talking then it's a good chance they are cheating. if they respond back and get a sort of communication going then you might see that the score they have is based on skills.
Old 05-13-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I think 60% is about right - if you see a player using the weapons switch script, chances are they have others.
Trigger is right. The problem is very bad. If you think it's not that bad, then you haven't installed the hacks and watched other people play.

Download and install any of the widely available hacks, like Trigger did. It is an eye-opener. As you spectate other people, you will be able to see what they see (i.e. through walls), and you will see how many people are just blatantly hacking, tracking players through walls and shooting through walls. It's really discouraging, because it makes it so unfair for people who are trying to play legit. I hardly ever play anymore because you're either at a huge disadvantage because of the cheaters, or you have to cheat yourself and then it's just not fun.
Old 05-13-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

so... to see the problem with hacks.. you have to join those who are using them?
Old 05-14-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Sounds crazy, right? I used to feel the same way Trigger and you guys did. I'd look at other players, and I'd say, "well, maybe he's cheating, but maybe not." Once you install the hacks though, and you can see through their eyes what other players see when they play, it becomes painfully obvious that many, many people cheat.

I know Trigger knows what I'm talking about. His posts at the beginning of the thread, and then after he installed the cheats are the same thing I went through. There are so many people cheating, it's depressing.