Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Barton Fink opinions and discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this movie for the second time this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first time I saw it in the early 90's I didn't like it. My tastes have changed a lot in the last 10 years, and I have grown to love Cohen Bros. movies.

I watched it with my girlfriend and this was her first time watching it. She hated it, and now she hates me for wasting two hours of her life. I've been able to rebut all of her arguments about why she hated it, but I'm okay that she hates it. When she asked me why I like it so much I had to think how to put my feelings into words.

I like it because it's funny and different. The film has substance that is not readily apparent on the surface.

That said I'd like to hear your opinions on why you liked or disliked the movie.
Old 05-05-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hated it the first time, too. But I recently reviewed it here at dvdtalk (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6237) and must say it's one of the Coen brothers best films. It has some of the best subtle humor I've seen on film.

And the fact that the story centers around a struggling writer, well, I know the feeling.

As with all Coen brother films, this one gets better each time I see it.
Old 05-05-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a great film, but if people are indifferent to the subjects of writing and Hollywood and 'creative types' they aren't going to have much to relate to.

Even so much as having struggled with a university dissertation can produce the required empathy.
Old 05-27-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched this movie again last night, and I must say that every time I watch it, I like it more and more.
Old 05-27-03, 12:00 PM
Banned

I love this film. But I wanted to add something. What was going on in Cannes that year that this movie won ALL THREE top Prizes? Best Director, Best Film, and Best Actor. Was it a slow year. It's a great film and deserved recognition, but usually they like to spread the love around a little more.
Old 05-28-03, 04:28 AM

After reading rave reviews I hired this for a group of friends back when it first came out and they've never forgiven me for it. Nearly every time I recommend a move they say, 'but you liked Barton Fink!'. It is the one of the slowest moving movies released in the last decade, particularly early on.

I found it got a little interesting when there was a plot twist, but everything up till then was excruciatingly dull. If people could actually provide some examples of funny stuff in the movie i'd be interested to hear it. Nobody ever seems to do that for Cohen bros movies. They always say how funny it was and I can never see why.

Barton Fink was been part of an often repeated Cohen brothers pattern in my life. Read the rave reviews. Hire the movie. Struggle to stay awake. I've finally learned to stay away from them now. People are just different. If you like them then I'm happy for you.
Old 05-28-03, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The best part about this film is the reference to it in "The Simpsons."
Old 05-28-03, 12:29 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Khan
Hire the movie.
What's 'hire'?
Old 05-28-03, 12:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It's my favorite Coen Bros. film.
Old 05-28-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The movie really centers around the struggle of a writer in an accountant's world. If you have ever had to deliver a creative piece of work to an uncreative Philistine boss, you might understand Barton's plight. Personally, I find Barton's talks with the LAPD to be the funniest part of the movie:

Spoiler:

Cop #1: You guys got some sex thing goin' on Fink?
Barton: Sex? He's a man! We wrestled!
Cop #2:You're a sick **** Fink!
Old 05-28-03, 01:34 PM
Suspended

I didn't really understand some of the hidden meanings until I read several analysis' of the movie.

What do you mean it's not funny? I'd have to say that
Spoiler:
I'm going to destroy you!
Old 05-28-03, 02:38 PM
mwj

I love the Coens' movies. This one is disorienting. While it is funny and sly. I loved when Barton was talking about his art for the common man and John Goodman's character is trying to tell him about what it's like to be a common man and Barton won't let him get word in edgewise. Hilarious. The ending was very odd. I definitely will rewatch it. I don't think it will become one of my favorites.
Old 05-28-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwj
I love the Coens' movies. This one is disorienting. While it is funny and sly. I loved when Barton was talking about his art for the common man and John Goodman's character is trying to tell him about what it's like to be a common man and Barton won't let him get word in edgewise. Hilarious. The ending was very odd. I definitely will rewatch it. I don't think it will become one of my favorites.
also when we find out that
Spoiler:
John Goodman's character is a serial killer, it shows that not everything is as it seems.

Tony Shalhoub put in a great performance once again.
Old 05-28-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I am going to buy this movie based on some of this positive feedback.
Old 05-28-03, 03:57 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I love Barton Fink (after Miller's Crossing it's my favorite of the Coens), but in my experience the scenes with John Mahoney and Judy Davis start to drag the movie down after you've seen it five or six times. Other than that I think it's flawless.
Old 05-28-03, 04:03 PM

I thought it was a great movie. Never really got the "too slow" criticism for some of the Coens' films - I mean, they're not Baz Luhrmann films, but anyone frustrated with the pace of Barton Fink would tear their eyes out watching the average Iranian film. To each his own, I suppose.

And as to why people never explain why the Coens are funny, well, a lot of it is situational. If I tell you that the rug really tied the room together or that what I really want is that Barton Fink feeling, it means nothing out of context. And if you can't see the humor in context, than I guess it's just not your style.
Old 05-28-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I love this film. But I wanted to add something. What was going on in Cannes that year that this movie won ALL THREE top Prizes? Best Director, Best Film, and Best Actor. Was it a slow year. It's a great film and deserved recognition, but usually they like to spread the love around a little more.
The movie is in part an homage to two Polanski films, Repulsion and The Tennant. Polanski was Chair of the jury that year, and more than a few people think that had something to do with it.

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Tony Shalhoub put in a great performance once again.
"Jesus, throw a rock in here and you'll hit one. And do me a favor Fink. Throw it hard."

Quite possibly my favorite movie ever.
Old 05-28-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I think I'm gonna have to hire this movie soon.
Old 05-28-03, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I think I'm gonna have to hire this movie soon.
You'll have to wait until next weekend. I've got it remodeling my kitchen until then.
Old 05-28-03, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Matt925
The movie is in part an homage to two Polanski films, Repulsion and The Tennant. Polanski was Chair of the jury that year, and more than a few people think that had something to do with it.

"Jesus, throw a rock in here and you'll hit one. And do me a favor Fink. Throw it hard."

Quite possibly my favorite movie ever.
Very interesting! Thanks for the info
Old 05-28-03, 11:04 PM

If I remember correctly wasn't the year that Barton Fink won all 3 major awards at Cannes the same year that Spike Lee had Malcom X at Cannes and he was pissed because it didn't win anything? I swear I remember a director getting upset because he felt he got snubbed since there had never been a movie that swept the Cannes film festival.

The beauty of Barton Fink is that there are SO many levels too it. All kinds of themes, meanings, nuances and subtleties to characters, scenes or dialogue. It has satire, humor, drama, you name it. It is a movie ripe for discussion. I like how some things you get right away and some things like the wallpaper peeling, the mosquitos, or the fire in the hallways for example leave you scratching your head when you first see it looking for deeper meaning. Even the little things, like what's in the box that Charlie gives Barton, or does the title of W.P. Mayhew's book in the movie have some significance? I always find something new everytime I see it. I guess what I'm trying to say is I absolutely love this movie.

Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 05-28-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
The beauty of Barton Fink is that there are SO many levels too it. All kinds of themes, meanings, nuances and subtleties to characters, scenes or dialogue. It has satire, humor, drama, you name it. It is a movie ripe for discussion. I like how some things you get right away and some things like the wallpaper peeling, the mosquitos, or the fire in the hallways for example leave you scratching your head when you first see it looking for deeper meaning. Even the little things, like what's in the box that Charlie gives Barton, or does the title of W.P. Mayhew's book in the movie have some significance? I always find something new everytime I see it.
Totally. Here are some of my favorite little observations (I'll use spoiler tags since there seems to be a few people who haven't seen it reading all the way through):

Spoiler:

-How the call of Fish Mongerers is heard at the end of his play, as that is his representation of the common man, and he includes it in the first paragraph of his script (that he can't finish. But it has to have those Fish Mongerers).

-Throughout the beginning, you hear a low rumbling sound, that isn't revealed until later as the waves crash against a rock as Barton arrives in Hollywood.

-He first meets the fakes in the restaraunt and tells them that he hasn't heard The Herald's review. He says at least Fish Mongerers can use the newspaper it was printed on, then tells his agent or advisor or whoever that he hasn't heard the review yet, so he can hear someone else read it to him. Typical liberal hypocrisy?

-Although I mentioned the Polanski homage, I've never seen those films. Have seen The Shining, though, and the reference is obviosly there. Aside from the obvious of the writer stuck in a hotel and battling writer's block, the opening interview is definately an homage. You have the protaganist sitting on one side of a desk, across from his future boss who asks all the questions, and next to the boss's henchmen who does nothing but look at him at the appropriate time.

-When he arrives at the hotel, Chet says his name, writes it down, and says it again. As well as "Everything seems to be in order" twice.

-Barton gets on the elevator, and three specific lines of dialogue occur, all short, and all containing the number 6, to accentuate his (ascent?) to Hell.

-One of Ebert's few great analysis. I don't completely buy it, but it is a very interesting interpretation and a neat thing to think about (concerning the ending with the fire):

The Coens mean this aspect of the film, I think, to be read as an emblem of the rise of Nazism. They paint Fink as an ineffectual and impotent left-wing intellectual, who sells out while telling himself he is doing the right thing, who thinks he understands the "common man" but does not understand that, for many common men, fascism had a seductive appeal. Fink tries to write a wrestling picture and sleeps with the great writer's mistress, while the Holocaust approaches and the nice guy in the next room turns out to be a monster.
-As mentioned, the dialogue/casting/acting of Barton's confrontation with the cops is truly hilarious. Along with his confrontations with Jack Lipnick and Ben Geisler.

-The fact that Barton has to sleep with a woman, have her killed, and have a whole other side of his neighbor revealed before he can write. He sits in his room and idealizes about the common man, but nothing comes of it. He is a recluse. It is only after he has some amazing experiences in life that he has something to write about.
Old 05-20-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey gang, I finally caught this and I was blown away. It's in my top 3 Coens bros movies of all time(with O brother and Lebowski).

A couple of questions though:

Spoiler:
what do you think the war symbolism is all about? And the shots into oraifaces, like the sink or the trumpet?

Check it out if you like any Coens films, this one is terrific.
Old 05-20-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Great Film, I loved the overall feel and it had such a freaky element to it.
Old 05-20-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch this movie at least once a year

Like Rival11 posted, a great bizarro feel, great cinematography, great acting by everyone. It seems John Goodman really brings his A game with the Coens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.