Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uh oh, here comes "Grease 3"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

This has been rumored for a while. And even people like Travolta and Newton-John have agreed on returning for a cameo. But oh God, is any of this necessary!??

From CNN.com :

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Hoping "Grease" lightning can strike a third time, Paramount Pictures is drawing up plans for "Grease 3," a continuation of the hit musical franchise.

The plan is to set the new project in the late-'70s, feature plenty of disco music and have the story evolve around the children of the original characters. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, stars of the 1978 original, have already been given a heads-up that their services will be sought once a script is completed. A search for writers is underway.

Didi Conn, who played Frenchie, is serving as an executive producer. She is said to have been instrumental in generating the studio's current enthusiasm for putting together a new installment of the film.

At the studio's DVD release party for "Grease" in the fall, sources said Conn approached Paramount chief Sherry Lansing after Travolta and Newton-John wowed partygoers with the musical number "You're The One That I Want."

The original "Grease" spawned a sequel four years later, "Grease 2." Its failure was ascribed by some observers to the introduction of a new cast of characters, headed by Maxwell Caulfield and Michelle Pfeiffer.

In developing "Grease 3," the producers hope to avoid that problem by bringing back the old gang from the first installment while also introducing new characters.
Old 05-05-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I'm the only person who loved Grease 2 so I'm actually not too mad.
Old 05-05-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

blasphemy!

still won't see it though, terrible idea!
Old 05-05-03, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by iggystar
Ok, so I'm the only person who loved Grease 2 so I'm actually not too mad.
I kinda liked Grease 2, and I actually think this sounds like quite a promising idea.
Old 05-05-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't hold my breath. This has been announced over and over.

I hope NSYNC isn't still attached to the project.
Old 05-05-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
O.K., why was this called "Grease" in the first place? No one used that crap in their hair in the late seventies. They got away with it in the sequel because that took place in the early 60's. And there were still greasers around at that time. But there certainly weren't any during the disco era. Stupid idea.
Old 05-05-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, this shall NOT unseat Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights. A cameo by Patrick Swayze, saying to the kids "have the time of your lives"? I'm THERE already!

And by "there", I mean "safe at home, not watching unnecessary retreaded crap".
Old 05-05-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is so lame. I mean GREASE became mostly about Rydell High (I mean the 2nd part was all new kids). Rydell was closed down after 2 so now what? Ridiculous.
Old 05-05-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film should take place in 1984, since the original was set in 1959 and 25 years have passed since the film was released.

I am sure they are signing Mary Kate and Ashley, as well as several people who were in "American Idol".

Am I the only one who remembers that GREASE 2 earned about $1.98 at the box office? Is this really a good idea?
Old 05-05-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
1984 would be great! That way they could have a bunch of kids in Michael Jackson jackets running around in parachute pants and such. Hell! We could have Britney Spears play the Sandy type character and Justin Timberlake the Zucko character, that way their re-unification at the end would be an echo of their real life love affair!!!!!

Old 05-05-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
We could have Britney Spears play the Sandy type character and Justin Timberlake the Zucko character, that way their re-unification at the end would be an echo of their real life love affair!!!!!
Somehow I doubt they'd allow an NC-17 rating.
Old 05-05-03, 09:18 PM
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the put down on parachute pants, I used to wear them (black) while roller skating. LOL

I will buy Grease 2 for a cute Michelle
P.

I wouldn't be interested in a Grease 3, just like I have never seen any of the newer Star Wars. I like Princess Lea and Chewbacca, not these imitations that I can't get into.
Old 05-05-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So they are setting the 2nd sequel to grease in the late seventies disco era.

Will john travolta show up as tony manero with a very, very confused look on his face?
Old 05-06-03, 02:49 AM

Stay very far away from this movie it will probably suck real bad now don't get me wrong the original Grease was great but things went from downhill when the released the second movie and don't get me started on that.

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
Will john travolta show up as tony manero with a very, very confused look on his face?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention Saturday Night Fever