Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Style Wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Style Wars

Now that my childhood (the 80s) has suddenly become retro hip and worshiped, it's a perfect time for PlexiFilms to release the long awaited documentary "Style Wars" on dvd. Not only is this an essential film for all fans of Hip-Hop, the disc itself is extremely well put together. In my mind, this is a must-own.

I know next to nothing about hip-hop history or graffiti (“graf”) culture, but after seeing this movie I want to know more. It pulls you into this exciting world of creativity, expression and explosive talent. This movie is inspiring.

Originally created for PBS, "Style Wars" covers what is arguably the most important time in hip-hop history. Rap was moving from party-music (the Sugarhill Gang) to the voice of urban America (The Message). Graffiti, which had been developing in NYC since the late sixties, was reaching its first mature period as a vital art-form (yes, I believe it is). Breaking was in its heyday with crews like Rock Steady and the Dynamic Rockers developing their own style that was soon to be emulated in suburban parking lots across the country. I don't think it's overstatement to say that the Bronx in the early eighties was the scene of a pop-cultural revolution in America.

"Style Wars" was produced by two artists who realized at the time the importance of what was going on in the Bronx. Henry Chalfant and convinced the "writers" hanging out at the 149th street "writers bench" that he was not a narc by showing the his amazing collection of photos of graffiti art which he had been collecting for years. This gave him unprecedented access to these artists, their b boy peers and the whole "subculture". Tony Silver shot Henry’s interviews carefully. The pair edited what they got down to a tight (somewhat too tight) 70 minutes.

To the sound of a terrifically remastered soundtrack featuring essential early rap cuts, "Style Wars" introduces the main characters. Several things become apparent immediately. These are young kids, a few of the older artists appear to be in their early twenties, but most are in their teens. They’re more racially integrated than some would believe. These are thoughtful, talented people who take their form of expression seriously. They take their development as artists seriously. They respect only one thing: style. They encourage a (refreshingly naive) competitive spirit that pushes rap and graf in new and exciting directions.

Graffiti is the focus of the film. “Style Wars” presents interviews from its main innovators and movers. Several memorable interviewees stand out. Case (Kase2) is a very talented artist and rapper who serves as the godfather of the scene. He's a constant edgy presence in the background. Dondi is the artistic heart of the scene. Unbelievably innovative and precise, Dondi’s work pushed all of the other writers to improve. Seen UA is the gregarious soul. His work is beautiful and his Brooklyn accent and diction is a masterpiece in and of itself. Iz is quietly contemplative and intellectual, an artist's artist. Revolt and Zephyr show that even rich kids could produce quality graf. The up-and-comers are represented by Dez, Doze, Mare, Min. Through it all stalks Cap, who stares unblinking into the camera in a challenge to all other writers. Cap wants only one thing: "more". He sees himself as a “bomber”, not an artist. He views an absolutely stunning newly painted wall by Seen and Duster and says “It’s a beautiful wall, I really like it” and proceeds to destroy it (there’s some doubt about the historical accuracy of this episode, but it sure makes a good story). Cap is the loose cannon that pushes graf over the top.

Breaking is also presented with classic footage of Crazy Legs and Frosty Freeze creating new moves daily. The uprock and downrock battle is a definitive piece of classic breaking.

Technically the dvd is a mixed bag. The transfer is extremely grainy, probably because the entire film was shot on small handheld cameras. However, the soundtrack is sharp and booming. The producers did an excellent job of cleaning it up.

Where the disc and the movie really comes alive is in the extras. There’s a ton of stuff here: an excellent commentary by Chalfant and Silver, amazing photographs of whole-car masterpieces, a 30 minute loop of “burners” moving down the track. My favorite extras are the follow-up interviews. Some of them (Min, the Dondi memorial) are heartbreaking but hopeful. Others are bittersweet (IZ) while some are entirely joyous and celebratory (Revolt and Zephyr, Seen UA, Doze, Mare). It’s fascinating to see where these people wound up and the interview are just as good as anything in the movie. I’d say that the extras are just as important as the film itself.

I love this disc. It brought me back to a time when hip-hop was positive and interesting. It’s well designed and fairly comprehensive. It’s probably the best DVD I’ve purchased this year, and I buy a lot. If you have any interest in the beginnings of hip-hop or just enjoy a terrific documentary, pick this one up today.
Old 05-07-03, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great review hiro!! i'm gonna have to pick this one up along w/ Wildstyle. long live true hip-hop
Old 06-13-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Hiro. I just found out this is on DVD (rave review in Premiere) and am thrilled that it's a loaded 2-disc. I'm buying a lot this month, so it might be a while before I get to it, but it'll definitely be on my "to buy" list.