Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Bend It Like Beckman" : Great little film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just caught this film today. Loved every minute of it. I really hate the term "feel good", but guess it could apply here. Actually, feel great would be more appropriate. Too bad it won't see 10% of the box-office "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" got. Which I only liked, not loved. "Beckman" definitely deserves a bigger audience. Although, I was suprised to walk into a packed theatre today when I went in to see it. On a Saturday afternoon no less. The crowd did seem to love it too. Hopefully it'll find it's audience on video. Two thumbs way up from me.

And before anyone accuses me, I don't work for Fox Searchlight, or the director, or producer, etc. etc.
Old 05-03-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nor do you use the search function....
Old 05-03-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Nor do you use the search function....
I know exactly how to use the search function, thanks (AH). You telling me there has to be only one thread for every film? Why you better hurry up, you've got a lot of work to do clemente. Start with all those "X2" posts.
Old 05-04-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fun with spelling...

Bought the r2 DVD ages ago. Good stuff. Perhaps a mod can merge the threads...
Old 05-04-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Fun with spelling...

Bought the r2 DVD ages ago. Good stuff. Perhaps a mod can merge the threads...
O.K., so I mispelled his name. Not once, but twice. My bad. I'm so sorry (and a little drunk). Which is also why I couldn't find that ONE other thread about this movie when I did a search first. I typed "Beckman" there too. Again, this is hardly the first time there have been duplicate threads about a subject. When it becomes overkill, I could see where that would be a problem. But there are just two on this movie. The one I just started, and one that was started almost seven weeks ago. Not a big deal.
Old 05-04-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, this is my fave movie of the year so far. While the theme may be similar to MBFGW (which was WAAYYY over-rated in my book), this was much more exciting and funny ("She's not Lebanese!" ).

For those interested DVDasian has two versions available (one all-region & one R3). I bought both versions. The all code one was first. It's NON-anamorphic LBX (even though the box & description erroneously state that it is) with DD5.1 sound and no extras. The main problem is that you can't turn the subtitles off in the normal fashion (either Korean or English with no "OFF" in the menu section). I was finally able to turn them off with some fancy menu tweaking, but this only worked on my Samsung and Daewoo players, not on my Sony, Pioneer or Panasonics).

If you have an all-code player and can't wait for the eventual US release I HIGHLY recommend the R3 Limited Edition version. It's got all the nice extras and commentary track of the R2 UK disc, but since this is R3 NTSC there is no PAL speedup. The transfer is anamorphic and is beautiful and has the 5.1 track as well. The cherry on top of this great package is that the awesome CD soundtrack is included. This is the UK version of it which includes a couple of extra songs not available on the US version, as well as dialogue snippets. For a measly $3 more than the no-frills R0 version, this should be a no-brainer if you have all-code.

Last edited by matome; 05-04-03 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-04-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up matome. Looks like the R0 disc is out of stock though.
Old 05-05-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by matome

If you have an all-code player and can't wait for the eventual US release I HIGHLY recommend the R3 Limited Edition version. It's got all the nice extras and commentary track of the R2 UK disc, but since this is R3 NTSC there is no PAL speedup. The transfer is anamorphic and is beautiful and has the 5.1 track as well. The cherry on top of this great package is that the awesome CD soundtrack is included. This is the UK version of it which includes a couple of extra songs not available on the US version, as well as dialogue snippets. For a measly $3 more than the no-frills R0 version, this should be a no-brainer if you have all-code.
I bought a copy from amazon.co.uk the same day I saw the movie. Not knowing about the other Limited Edition version from dvdasian. Oh well.

Last edited by Daytripper; 05-05-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-05-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the R3 LE just came out recently. I only got mine last week.
Old 05-05-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just saw this and felt it was nothing special... somewhat enjoyable but nothing i'd buy or really even recommend to my friends. The only thing that made this movie stand out is the Indian aspect, which was interesting to me, but not enough to make me distinguish it as something unique. I guess i'm just unimpressed with the whole 'culture clash' angle that i've seen so often.
Old 05-05-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason I thought this film was a lesbian love story between 2 teenage girls.

I guess I don't want to see it anymore.
Old 05-06-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
For some reason I thought this film was a lesbian love story between 2 teenage girls.

I guess I don't want to see it anymore.

Your loss. But if it's lesbians you want, go pick up Tatu at any music store.
Old 05-06-03, 12:26 PM

I thought the movie was boring and cloying -- like a bad Lifetime movie. But everyone has an opinion . . .
Old 05-06-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by quashmonger
I thought the movie was boring and cloying -- like a bad Lifetime movie. But everyone has an opinion . . .
Cloying!? O.K.

And sorry, but I don't watch Lifetime. So I'll have to take your word for it.

Watching this film is what I expected when I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I only thought that was pleasant. And nothing major. Definitely not special.
Old 05-09-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great movie. I too saw the R2 release a while back. This is one of the few imports that I feel would benefit by a title change.
Old 05-12-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep
Great movie. I too saw the R2 release a while back. This is one of the few imports that I feel would benefit by a title change.

Question about those who bought this R2 release (and mods, please don't move this to DVD Talk, this will be the last thing I ask about the DVD release). Anyway, on the box, it says widescreen. But I'll be damn if it looks anywhere close. It fits almost the entire screen. The same for you?
Old 05-13-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Question about those who bought this R2 release (and mods, please don't move this to DVD Talk, this will be the last thing I ask about the DVD release). Anyway, on the box, it says widescreen. But I'll be damn if it looks anywhere close. It fits almost the entire screen. The same for you?
Your DVD player must be stretching the anamorphic picture vertically. My DVD player handles the PAL/NTSC transfer quite capably in all its widescreen glory.

Originally posted by Peep
This is one of the few imports that I feel would benefit by a title change.
David Beckham was on the cover of USA Today... um, today. People understand the point of the title, much like the people who have no idea about Mime but still know who Marcel Marceau is...