Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok, X2 is old news... let's talk about X3!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What direction do you think X3 should go in, after seeing X2? I think the Dark Phoenix saga would be the next logical step, although I hope they keep it more real than the comic version (skip the StarJammers and all the interstellar crap). The only problem I see with this is (don't read this if you haven't seen X2!)
Spoiler:
basically the same ending for two movies, since Jean would have to sacrifice herself at the end again.

If they do decide to take the next plot from the pages of the comics, they need to go in a different direction. The first two movies dealt with the persecution of mutants from normal humans, and while that has always been the underlying theme of the X-Men, it could get old after a while. Although it would be great to see the Morlocks story, especially as a way to introduce Gambit and Angel!

I think the next one needs to be some type of armeggedon, save-the-world story. Something where the X-Men save the earth, but the humans still fear them afterwards. If they could change the Brood so they don't look so much like Alien, I think that would make a great movie! Plus they can hack and slash the aliens all they want, and not have to worry so much about risking the PG-13 rating.
Old 05-03-03, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Phoenix saga would be cool, but I'm worried that the general public won't buy all the space stuff that's supposed to happen.

I think the Sentinels would be interesting, but they should shy away from having "mutant haters"/"government" be the main villians again.
Old 05-03-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no matter what the plot was for X2, i was hoping that they would start foreshadowing a Phoenix plot-line.
i think Jean should return as Phoenix (possibly having one of the other members nickname her that...she never really had a 'team name' yet anyway), but i don't think they should carry that out beyond her having little personality and power quirks.
in fact, i would be quite happy if they didn't carry out the Dark Phoenix/suicide angle out for at least two more movies.
the great thing about that arc in the comics was that it developed over the coarse of years.

huge sentinals in some form or fashion would be a nice visual addition to the series, but i don't see how they deviate much from mutant registration/stryker operation storylines.
yet another government operation designed to identify and take care of the mutant problem.
that's really not much more than a rehash of the first two with different props this time.

i wonder if anything is going to be made of the Senators sudden disappearence?

as far as introducing more characters...groan.
there are quite enough already.
contrary to most people, i don't think X2 was all that impressive in developing or further elaborating the ones we've been introduced to already.
there is much more to Scott, Storm, and Nightcrawler than we've seen so far.

if this series becomes nothing more than introducing new characters each time out, i'm probably going to lose interest. it's becoming a formula at that point.
Old 05-03-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X3=Sentinels, more Colossus, more Nightcrawler, and, of course, Gambit. Plus the sub-plot of Dark Phoenix.

Or

Sentinels and Juggernaut as the villians.
Old 05-03-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is some stuff you don't see them doing anytime soon?

It would be really hard to incorporate anything with Apocalypse (wouldn't that mean they also would have to bring in Bishop?). I also don't think they'll do anything with Omega Red.
Old 05-03-03, 12:56 PM

The hellfire club would be my best bet. with the shi'ar showing up at the end to inform the x-men that the phoenix must be destroyed. the phoenix is a cosmic force so non earth beings have to be included for anyone to buy it. singer at least has to try to make it look like the comics. gamibt, a full time colossus, and psylocke are my choices. plus for singer to make wolvie's healing factor more like it is in the comics, a bullet in the head wouldn't even slow him down, it would ricochet and would heal in seconds .
Old 05-03-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sinister
The hellfire club would be my best bet. with the shi'ar showing up at the end to inform the x-men that the phoenix must be destroyed. the phoenix is a cosmic force so non earth beings have to be included for anyone to buy it. singer at least has to try to make it look like the comics. gamibt, a full time colossus, and psylocke are my choices. plus for singer to make wolvie's healing factor more like it is in the comics, a bullet in the head wouldn't even slow him down, it would ricochet and would heal in seconds .
You hit it, you can look up this post a year from now when it's announced, I GAURANTY the Hellfire club are the bad guys in X3. I'm pretty sure Singer is smart enough to stay away from the whole Shi'ar, cosmic entity side of the Phoenix saga. It's just too much for the non-comic book audience to grasp, plus it will send the budget through the roof, plus you want to tread lightly on the outer space stuff so it doesn't get into the Star Wars/trek territory.

Regardless X3 will probably more Cyclops heavy since he was really barely in X2 & I think the big new character will be White Queen, hopefully played by Pete Wilson. Rebbece Romijn would have made a perfect Emma Frost but it's OK since she is already a perfect Mystique.

Collosus is signed on alraedy for X3 so he will definitely have a bigger part but I swear I won't see it if they put Gambit (the most boring, lamest X character ever) in the movie.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-03-03 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Hari Seldon
What is some stuff you don't see them doing anytime soon?

It would be really hard to incorporate anything with Apocalypse (wouldn't that mean they also would have to bring in Bishop?). I also don't think they'll do anything with Omega Red.
Not so hard. What if Apocalypse takes over the Pheonix in X4 to make her Dark Pheonix?

Of course this idea wouldn't be thought of too fondly by most since Apocalypse wasn't involved in the Pheonix Saga.
Old 05-03-03, 02:11 PM

gambit is just as popular as wolverine in the fan base. he must be in X3. remy vs. logan in the danger room, what a way to open up X3. leon, from cool runnings, above the rim, would be my only choice for bishop if he is in it, which i doubt. the shi'ar showing up at the end with gladiator would be freakin cool as hell. but the film needs powerful mutant baddies. my x-men lineup for X3 is cyclops, wolverine, nightcrawler, storm, colossus, gambit, beast, iceman, psylocke and beast. no full-time rogue unless she is presented in her comic book form with superstrength, flight and invulnerability.
Old 05-03-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot by
Spoiler:
having Jean sacrifice herself in the end of X2.
How can they accurately portray the Phoenix saga without the climactic ending of Jean commiting suicide to save the universe? It would be a bit hard for people to believe:

Spoiler:
1. X2-Jean's power begins to get out of control
2. X2- Jean sacrifices herself to save the team
3. X3- Jean returns from the 'dead'
4. X3- Jean's power really gets out of control
5. X3- Jean sacrifices herself to save the world
6. X4- Jean returns from the dead
7. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I just really believe the ending of X2 would minimize the emotional impact of the death of Phoenix.
Old 05-03-03, 02:24 PM

actually, in the comics the phoenix force takes the form as jean as the real jean lay in a cocoon at the bottom of the ocean. and indeed singer will have bring in the shi'ar if this is going to float by all x-fans and dieharders.
Old 05-03-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I think if they bring back Jean Grey as Phoenix, they should change the ending of the Dark Phoenix Saga. My guess is
Spoiler:
Cyclops will somehow have to kill her.

I heard rumors that Famke Janssen will not be back as Jean Grey which leads me to believe that there will be a new actress who will play Madeline Pryor/Phoenix.

If they do the Dark Phoenix saga, the one scene they HAVE to do is that fat dude in the Hellfire Club touching Wolvie with his cane and Wolvie coming back for REVENGE! That would be cool.
Old 05-03-03, 03:04 PM

No Famke
Old 05-03-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The need to eventually do the part where wolverine gets his admantium ripped out by magneto.. that would be sweet
Old 05-03-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by typecase
No Famke
It's only rumors now. I heard no official announcement.
Old 05-03-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The should call it xXx...
Old 05-03-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
The should call it xXx...
The can't, that's reserved for X-Men 20.

(You see, X is the roman numeral 10, therefore an X with two X's following it.... nevermind, it's not as funny as I thought!)
Old 05-03-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I think the big new character will be White Queen, hopefully played by Pete Wilson.
I just don't see the former governor of California Pete Wilson as the White Queen. Unless we go off in a really radical direction...
Old 05-03-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by johnglass

7. Wash, rinse, repeat.
LOL

I just really believe the ending of X2 would minimize the emotional impact of the death of Phoenix.
they should NOT, i repeat, SHOULD NOT make X3 the death of Phoenix.
the whole special quality to these classic arcs (just like the death of Gwen Stacey and the Goblin) was that they were built up gradually over the course of years, in once a month installments.
to do everything in one film, robs the material of that special quality - time.
the way an audience gets to grow with characters and preformances.

by all means, i hope they resurrect Jean in X3 and hint that something may not be quite right,
Spoiler:
although that was really already done in X2

it would be cool to see her start to spook some of the other characters, but to resurrect her and kill her off in the same film is completely ludicrous.
much like Johnglass posted.

i trust Singers discretion.
he's shown good taste, and a willingness to go the extra mile to please the fan base, so whatever he comes up with i will go into with an open mind.
i wouldn't mind seeing him take a non- x-men related sci-fi/fantasy novel and using it's plot as a springboard/adaptation- much like the filmmakers did for Die Hard 2, taking an established action novel, and retrofitting John McClaine as the protagonist.
optioning a decent sci-fi fantasy book to adapt would be relatively cheap, besides
Old 05-03-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by johnglass
The can't, that's reserved for X-Men 20.

(You see, X is the roman numeral 10, therefore an X with two X's following it....
...would be 30.
Old 05-03-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sinister
gambit is just as popular as wolverine in the fan base. he must be in X3. remy vs. logan in the danger room, what a way to open up X3. leon, from cool runnings, above the rim, would be my only choice for bishop if he is in it, which i doubt. the shi'ar showing up at the end with gladiator would be freakin cool as hell. but the film needs powerful mutant baddies. my x-men lineup for X3 is cyclops, wolverine, nightcrawler, storm, colossus, gambit, beast, iceman, psylocke and beast. no full-time rogue unless she is presented in her comic book form with superstrength, flight and invulnerability.
Dude, I know your a comic book fan by your forum name. But that first comment is absolutely INSANE. Gambit is just as popular as wolverine in fan base. Pre-Spider-man movie Wolverine is literally Marvel's most beloved character. Marvel themselves acknowledged that. Wolverine cameos every in other comics constantley just to boost sales in them. And the sheer fact that Wolverine has a top 20 selling comic book for almost 20 years, is about to reach issues 200 without being cancelled (although it is being relaunched for new readers) & Gambit has had a monthlyu comic cancelled very early, failed mini-series & can't even make a core X-men comic shows the fan base for Wolverine is a MILLION times bigger than Gambit. Not to mention that Gambit is basically the laughing stock of die-hard X-men fans. He was only created b.c at the time Wolverine was getting a little overexposed so, they neede a new darker character with a mysterious past. Not that it's a bad thing, but pretty much the only people that like Gambit are readers under the age of 20. Gambit is completely unoriginal & a one dimensional character. And just about every creator that has worked on an X book over the past few years has made fun of Gambit & refueses to use him.

Oh yeah, & when they created Ultimate X-men which is a retelling of the X world. They left Gambit out for a reason. A few fans emailed the series writer to put Gambit into a couple of issues. Which he did for 2 issues & they were the 2 lowest selling issues of the series. So yes, no matter how much you may love the one dimensional Cajun. Not only is his fanbase far less than Wolverines. It's pretty small compared to any character.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-03-03 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But Gambit was sweet in the animated series in the early 90's!

Did anyone else notice a file (where Mystique printed off the Cerebro files) that said Omega Red? I did.

Please have Sentinels and Juggernaut in X3.
Old 05-03-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I've said it before in this forum and I'll say it again, sorry to offend, but Gambit is frickin' LAME. A fast-talking stereotyped Cajun dork who throws frickin' exploding playing cards??? Yeah, that'll reel 'em into the theatres. There's a hundred other X-characters from Beast to Angel to even Sunfire or Cannonball who would be better to see on screen before bloody Gambit. And now I will never mention this topic again.
Old 05-03-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
As a comic fan I must agree that Gambit is one of the lamest X-men ever. And a wasteofa good power too. But the business man in me feels it'd be a smart moveto include him in X3 just because people seem to want him so much. I know non-X-men fans who were pissed that Gambit was not in the first movie or X2. There is certainly a market for him so they should at least try him out. If response to him is "blah" they could always have him try to infiltrate the Brotherhood just to have Magneto see right through him and have Sabretooth rip him apart.
Old 05-03-03, 09:27 PM

well if you've ever read wizard in the nineties, gambit was selected most favorite alot of times and yes his fanbase is enormous. chris claremont knows how to crate characters. and i'm so sure you know all the diehard fans. i'm a diehard so go to the x-fan site and see what most of us think about gambit. he did punk wolverine in uncanny x-men 280. he is more then throwing cards. he has enhanced agility and can charge organic and non-organic matter. and sabretooth could never beat remy. gambit has saved victor a few times in the comics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.