Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How good is Boondock Saints?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard many good things but never seen it and it's on sale at Best Buy this week. Only problem for me is that it's non-anamorphic and I'd hate to add a non-anamorphic DVD to my collection. Does the movie/other features make up for the transfer?
Old 05-02-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first half of the movie is mediocre...the second half kicks a$$. i ended up loving this movie. about half way through it i told my sister, who told me i would love it, that this movie better get good fast...she said i promise, you will love it, just keep watching.

she was right...i loved it

the dvd itself could be better that is for sure but it is a good movie.
Old 05-02-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the price of the movie it's a no brainer. Unique storyline, great action sequences, etc. Definatley ooff the beaten path if you like films like that. Try doing a search for "boondock" and you'll see several references.
Old 05-02-03, 03:54 PM

I enjoyed this movie and bought it after renting it first.
Old 05-02-03, 04:20 PM

It's worth the $7 best buy is selling it for
Old 05-02-03, 04:23 PM

It is a good movie, nothing special, but just good, get it, a worthy addition to your collection im sure.
Old 05-02-03, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys, guess I'll be ordering it.
Old 05-03-03, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Boondock Saints and Donnie Darko have to be the top current cult films out. Darko is the better film, but this is very good too, and has a rabid cult following.
Old 05-03-03, 04:11 PM

Boy, there's a sucker born every minute, huh?

If I could just provide an alternative view (the voice of sanity?;-)), THE BOONDOCK SAINTS is a spectacularly awful film, like all the worst things about Ed Burns and Tarantino combined. I don't know how I made it to the end, but I'd rather get a colonoscopy than watch it again.

http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdrevie...docksaints.htm

Remember: "cult" sometimes means "self-consciously hip."

Bill C
Old 05-03-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by flmfreakcentral

If I could just provide an alternative view (the voice of sanity?;-)),

Bill C
No, I don't think you can. You just come off as an elitist jerk. Everyone else seemed to enjoy the film.
Old 05-03-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

keep in mind that the US dvd is cut and NON-ANAMORPHIC!!

The recent German disc is the Unrated version and is anamorphic as well.
Old 05-03-03, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by zak52
No, I don't think you can. You just come off as an elitist jerk. Everyone else seemed to enjoy the film.
Alas, I have managed, in my 28 years, to develop independent thought. I don't like something simply because "everyone else" does--that's dangerous, reactionary thinking on your part, the kind that gave birth to droogs and "1984."

You're not the first person to call me either an elitist or a jerk, but I suspect that says more about the breed of character who enjoys the hostile BOONDOCK SAINTS than it does me.

Bill C
Old 05-03-03, 06:58 PM

Alas, I have managed, in my 28 years, to develop independent thought. I don't like something simply because "everyone else" does--that's dangerous, reactionary thinking on your part, the kind that gave birth to droogs and "1984."
What does thinking for yourself have to do with this thread? Who say's the people that like this movie like it just becaue "everyone else" does? Not only are you elitist but you're awfully judgmental if you think that.

You're not the first person to call me either an elitist or a jerk, but I suspect that says more about the breed of character who enjoys the hostile BOONDOCK SAINTS than it does me.

Bill C
With your attitude I'm sure I'm not the first one to call you elitist.
BTW, How does it say more about about the people who like this movie? They're not the one's bashing other people's opinions.
Old 05-03-03, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by zak52
What does thinking for yourself have to do with this thread? Who say's the people that like this movie like it just becaue "everyone else" does? Not only are you elitist but you're awfully judgmental if you think that.

Let us review:

-Somebody posts asking how BOONDOCK SAINTS is.
-A few people chime in, say they like it.
-I say I didn't like it, a valid answer to the poster's question. I provide a winking emoticon to denote a 'no hard feelings approach.'
-You reply that I can't supply an alternative opinion, apparently because "everyone else" seems to enjoy the movie, and that I therefore come off as an elitist jerk. Now you are asking me what thinking for myself has to do with this?!

But wait, there's more!:

With your attitude I'm sure I'm not the first one to call you elitist.
BTW, How does it say more about about the people who like this movie? They're not the one's bashing other people's opinions.
a) I'd watch where you sling that elitist crack--it's my fault I didn't specify that I get said crack almost exclusively from irate BOONDOCK fans (see point "b"). Maybe browse my 600+ reviews first; ask yourself how elitist I am after that four-star rave of REVENGE OF THE NERDS, or after seeing that I put BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD DO AMERICA on my Top 10 of 1996. Or, better yet, stop presuming that disliking BOONDOCK and elitism are one and the same, although, in your defense, I do have a Bachelor's in film, used to teach film history, and have made movies--I can be possessive of my informed opinions.

b) I'm sorry, for a second there I thought it was YOU going around labelling other people jerks, but it turns out I was doing the bashing all along. That said, I have received in upwards of 200 profanity-filled e-mails calling me an elitist jerk and far worse (insults of the homophobic variety, natch) because of my negative review of THE BOONDOCK SAINTS, hence my snarky though perhaps unfairly blanket "breed of character" comment: I just can't help but attach a dubious stigma to fans of the film thanks to the invariable name-calling I've received from them.

Nevertheless, welcome to the chorus, zak152.

Capiche? (Somehow I doubt it.)

Bill C
Old 05-04-03, 08:52 AM

If this isn't bashing someone's opinion than I don't know what is. This is why I pointed out everybody seemed to like the movie. In a thread where every post is positive about a movie and than you come in with a comment like this, it comes off very elitist. I guess some people just don't know how to be civil when expressing how they didn't like a movie.
Old 05-04-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

flmfreak...ok i gotta chime in with an outsider view of this little spat.

first, i saw this movie never even hearing of it...my sister told me i would like it so i watched it with her. i, like you, had a hard time with the first half...the second half was pretty damn good if you ask me. overall, i really enjoyed the movie.

now to the debate. you definately sounded like you were saying that everyone that liked this movie was a sucker to the pop culture of our society...or something like that. i could care less really, i liked the movie, you didnt...that happens a lot. but i just wanted to let you know that you came out pointing the fingers.

zak52, who cares? really bro, don't get all upset about this...it's a frickin movie and many people have different tastes. if you fell like this guy likes to feel superior or something...so be it! if its true, he is getting off on us even discussing his post right now...so with that im done!
Old 05-06-03, 04:38 AM

flmfreakcentral, i do agree with zak52's argument that your initial "sucker born every minute" statement is a bit abrasive. and he's correct in calling out your not-so-subtle judging of those who enjoy "boondock saints."

that being said, i have to agree with flmfreakcentral's take on "boondock saints" in that it was wholly underwhelming. i'd always heard good things about it, but i just felt as though it somehow did not equal the sum of its parts. The acting and dialogue weren't up to par, although i did enjoy ron jeremy's character. at least i was able to sell my copy to someone who (hopefully) liked the movie.

regarding some of zak52's comments, i understand that you and many others on this board think very highly of the movie, but i trust you understand that some DON'T. we all know how this board works.
Old 05-06-03, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by bouncingsoul
we all know how this board works.
Apparently we all don't know how this board works. Someone thinks its here for them to advertise their personal website on.

I will say again that I enjoyed Boondock. I don't think its a great movie or anywhere near the quality of Reservoir Dogs, but it was good. I liked the style of having the FBI agent's (DaFoe) visions of the crimes get more and more involved as the movie went on to show that he was getting closer and closer to the truth. Also, seeing Ron Jeremy attempting to act a serious role was just hilarious.
Old 05-06-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think its a great movie as well. Something about the prayer mixed with action makes it ooze with style
Old 05-06-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread closed. Administrative action may follow.

- David Stein