Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Requesting the advice of Manchester fans...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-01-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been into The Smiths, Joy Division, and New Order for awhile. Echo & the Bunnymen and The Fall also interest me, but I haven't been able to find as many (read: hardly any outside of Heaven Up Here - which I love) of their records. But after seeing 24 Hour Party People - coupled with a long ago discussion on the "Manchester Beat" (??) in this forum - I decided to look into more of the bands from that area.

On my current downloading binge, I've managed to pick up a handful of tracks from The Stone Roses, Psychadelic Furs, and (more) Echo & the Bunnymen. So far, I love all of it. I surfed around on Trouser Press for awhile - and was surprised to find out that Heaven Up Here is considered the inferior (?!) E&BM disc; it sounds great to me - but am still at a loss as to what albums I *should* pick up by these artists.

So, in a rather longwinded way, what albums do you suggest by any of the previously mentioned artists? Secondly, are there any others that I'm missing out on?

-edit to add-
I'm not into Greatest Hits records...its a weird pet peeve of mine. So, if you could suggest any of their studio albums it'd be really helpful.

On a sidebar, it's always a great feeling when you download a song you think you've never heard (Psychadelic Furs - Love My Way) and it turns out to be one you've simply forgotten about!
Old 05-01-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It all begins and ends with the Stone Roses' self-titled debut, my friend. That is one excellent record from start to finish.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches by the Happy Mondays is quite good, too. Mostly to me for the inclusion of "Step On" - one of the best songs of the "scene." I also like their Bummed.

James' self-titled album kind of adopted the sound, too.

If you can find it, "Take 5" by Northside is a winner. It's off of Chicken Rhythms.

Also pick up Some Friendly by the Charlatans UK.

I'd venture that you could find a lot of stuff in the used CD bins. I know I've found most of the above that way.
Old 05-02-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Echo & the Bunnymen: "Heaven" really isn't their best. For full studio efforts I'd want their debut and then "Ocean Rain". "Ocean Rain" is a wonderful album. But you know what?
You said you don't want hits comps, but I really think after all these years the CD I listen to the most is their hits collection. It's such a superior disc. And includes "Bring on the Dancing Horses" which is from the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack. I downloaded some of their new material and there are some great newer songs, but I can only help you with their earlier stuff. Oh, one waaaay overlooked disc is "Mysterio" by Ian McCulloch. Damn good recording. You could probably find it on Ebay for next to nothing. It's got two songs done with Cocteau Twins folks. I don't think it got the best reviews, but from start to finish it's a great CD and I think it's better than his first solo disc.

Psychedelic Furs: I'll have to say that their hits collection is also pretty cool. BUT, "Talk Talk Talk" is probably their masterpiece. Excellent stuff. Their debut is good, too. "Forever Now" is not bad. Ignore anything post '87.

I agree with DJLinus about the Stone Roses. Their debut is the best and always will be. Great from cut one to the end. When I bought this CD in '89 it didn't have the song "Fools Gold" on it. It was added later on. Make sure if you buy this used it has that song at the end because it's a goody.

The Fall is very original, but maybe an acquired taste. They have SO many albums out that it would be hard to pick one. Sorry, but I have to suggest a collection! But it's GREAT. "458489 A-Sides" has some of the coolest singles ever. This band has flirted around with different styles. Their early 90's "techno" stuff wasn't very good, but in the 80's (where this compilation is culled from) you'll hear some unique and catchy tunes. They are still around and touring right now. If you wanna preview, try "Cruiser's Creek" "There's a Ghost in my House" "Big New Prinz" and "Mr. Pharmacist"

James: "Laid". Great disc. The song "Sometimes" is their "Lemon". In that it was produced by Brian Eno and has the same kind of feel. Good stuff.

Happy Mondays: This band sounds SO dated. I liked "Pills n' Thrills" but it's hard for me to get into it today. Agreed "Step On" is a good tune. I found it a bit odd that the Happy Mondays were such a big focus of "24 Hour Party People". I know their influence was big, but it was weird hearing next to nothing about some other Manchester bands in that movie. Oh well, I wasn't there!!
Old 05-02-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E+TBM: "Crocodiles" is essential.
Old 05-02-03, 11:26 AM

excellent list everyone

I would add (my favorite cd of all time) The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses and for anyone really into the Roses check out my mate Paul's site - it's the best band fansite I've every seen:This is the Daybreak

I don't think the Happy Mondays "Pills n' Thrills" CD sounds dated at all, I actually listened to in the other day and I still really like it.

The first Charlatans cd is also a has a great Madchester sound although they were never from Manchester.

Northside - Chicken Rhythms - check out the ode to LSD "Shall we take Trip"

Insipiral Carpets - Life (I'm not a big fan - but this CD is ok)

Check out this site with info on a magazine all about the Madchester scene - I've got this issue at its a must for fans of the Roses.
Old 05-02-03, 01:33 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Man, I don't look here for a day and this thread pops up...

It's too bad that you are rejecting "Greatest Hits" albums, since in some cases the bands you name were really singles bands, and their studio albums don't give a good picture of what they were about. Anyway,

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures. Closer is a great album, but I would recommend Unknown Pleasures to the uninitiated.

New Order - a singles band (IMHO) but probably their best album is Power, Corruption, and Lies, although Low-Life and the first one (forgot the name, dammit) are also quite good.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead, although they were a singles band, really.

Echo and the Bunnymen (who are from Liverpool) - Crocodiles, although Heaven Up Here is my personal favorite. I also really like Ocean Rain, fwiw...

Happy Mondays - Pills 'n', Thrills... I have all their albums, this is the best.

Psychedelic Furs - I like Talk Talk Talk the best (I think) but their first album is great, too. Forever Now has too much filler for me, even if it does have Love My Way.

Charlatans - can't remember the name of it, but the one with "Can't Get Out Of Bed" is probably my favorite, but the most recent one with "You're So Pretty, We're So Pretty" is very good, too.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses. Accept no substitutes, it's the best!
Old 05-02-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not necessarily rejecting GHs, I just need to think long and hard about getting them.

And wendersfan, I already have the first 3 records you mentioned.
Old 05-02-03, 03:27 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
I'm not necessarily rejecting GHs, I just need to think long and hard about getting them.

And wendersfan, I already have the first 3 records you mentioned.
I think we need to differentiate between "Greatest Hits" albums and "Singles Collection" albums. A lot of British acts don't put their singles on albums, so much of their best work would be missed if you don't get the singles collections (or buy the singles).

As far as the albums you own, I was mentioning them not for you, but for posterity...
Old 05-02-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Inspired by this thread, I went to the local used CD shop to pick up some Inspiral Carpets discs I saw there last week. Got the Cool as **** EP and Revenge of the Goldfish for $2 each.

Also went to Borders and Barnes & Noble looking for the Madchester magazine fazeem wrote about. Couldn't find it. Nothing on ebay, either (saw one listed about week or two ago). I'll check the Virgin Megastore in a day or two. After some searching on the web, I found one place in the UK that had it for 10 pounds plus shipping, which is kind of steep. I'd really like to pick this up. Anyone know where I can find it cheaper?

Bought a copy of the Stone Roses' remix import CD really cheap ($5) off of ebay last week. Should be here any day now - can't wait. I've heard and downloaded most of the remixes, but the completist in me likes to have them on the original disc.
Old 05-04-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Inspiral Carpets are a fave of mine although some find them dated. I loved the keyboards of Clint Boon.

Life is the best album.