Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review For Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND BEAT STREET!!

I am sure these are guilty pleasures for many of the 80's generation here at DVD Talk, so I thought I would give a little review on them.

Breakin' 2

Video - I remember going to the theater and seeing both Breakin and Breakin 2...with that being said I assumed that this was a widescreen picture to begin with but sources say that this movie was shot "open matte." For a fullscreen transfer the picture is actually pretty darn good. The bright 80's colors are loud and clear, and the darks are good as well. I didnt notice any grain, or serious problems with the transfer. Overall, it's good. I still wonder what a widescreen transfer would have looked like.

Audio - Breakin 2 is considered to be a musical by many people because of the big variety of tracks that are featured. So I had high hopes for a booming soundtrack, even if it isnt 5.1 .......well, I was disappointed. The audio track on this disk is not up to par. The bass is very very weak, but the highs and dialogue are acceptable. Even if you adjust your sound system, the soundtrack just feels hollow and shallow. BAD MGM!

Extras - A trailer! And not the American Trailer! You get the European Trailer! I could tell because you can hear Ice T announce the movie as "Breakdance 2"(Breakdance and Breakdance 2 are the titles for these movies over in Europe...not Breakin).

Packaging/Cover Art - Sure wish MGM would have used the original movie poster art for this one. Atleast there's no BIG HEAD syndrome No snappers here either, thank goodness.

The movie doesn't hold up(of course it doesnt, its Breakin 2 for cryin outloud!)today...infact I don't think it ever did but it's still a fun feel good movie. The big screen kings of poppin and lockin, Ozone and Turbo, and everyones favorite female Ninja(Lucinda Dickey) have alot of fun with parts in this flick. And the battles are funny as hell to watch! I still think the best part of this movie is dancing on the ceiling scene with Turbo! And will someone please tell me what happened to that hot Spanish Speaking brunette!!!? Fun movie for the price Bad audio Overall, I give it a 7, with a recommendation to 80's cheese lovers!

Beat Street

Video - Thank the LAWD!!! We get both fullscreen and anamorphic widescreen with this one! For a movie being so old, the transfer looks as good as it's ever going to look. I have the old VHS copy of this one and it's a night and day difference. The widescreen presentation really brings the club scenes to life, along with the b-boy battle scenes! A+ job by MGM for this transfer on a budget title

Audio - Now this is where the disc really shines! The audio is REALLY good for a non 5.1 soundtrack. During the music scenes you can really feel the "umph" that MGM did to bring more life to the film! Pump up the volume, you will see what I mean.

Extras - You get the trailer. Thats it.

Packaging - The ONLY really bad thing about Beat Street is the cover art and packaging. Beat Street had an awesome theater poster and VHS cover....why o why couldnt they have used that instead!!!

This movie is more of a drama, with a hip hop twist. Get this movie for the music, the New York/Bronx scenery, and for the infamous B-Boy Battle between the Bronx Rockers and the Beat Street Breakers( Which I think they were really the RockSteady Krew and The New York City Breakers).

Bring on Breakin and Disorderlies!! Does anyone remember "The Pilot?" It was a TV only movie which featured a school girl that was made fun of one day when she was watching some breakers perform at a local park. The dancers used her as a joke, and she came back disguised in WWI Pilot and taught herself to Breakdance....one by one she battles each of the dancers til she battles the last of their crew....OZ! They have an awesome battle showdown!! Anyways, I could never find this ANYWHERE!! No info on the net, no info on a VHS release...nothing!!!! Anyone know what i am talking about???
Old 05-02-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
RAPPIN' w/ mario van peebles shouldn't be forgotten as well.
Old 05-06-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap, these two movies are finally on DVD!?!?!? SWEET!

Old 05-06-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I didn't know that Beat Street was released & it's WS. NICE!! gotta go search for that. I wouldn't have known if it weren't for your post.

As for Breakin' 2, it's FS so I gotta pass for now.