Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peyton Reed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peyton Reed

is the director to watch.
Old 04-30-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...because he directed "Bring it On" (official movie of DVD Talk) or because he's set to do a "Fantastic Four" film?

Or maybe you just like pale, skinny bald guys?
Old 04-30-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cus he's a cool guy!!!!!!!! Very down to earth. His new movie with Ewan McGregor and Rennee Zellwegger doesn't seem like it's going to be a hit though.
Old 04-30-03, 09:43 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I liked Bring It On *much* more than I thought I would (a "chick flick" about cheerleading?!) so I guess some credit should go to the director. If only so I can pretend I didn't watch it purely for Eliza.

The toothbrushing part was brilliantly handled. Never seen so much adolescent sexual tension in a G-rated scene!
Old 04-30-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I'll watch anything with Eliza Dushku in it, but I'll never understand the mountains of accolades that some of you ladle upon Bring It On.... Cute movie, but.....?
Old 04-30-03, 11:42 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I guess I'm sorta the same; if it's true that the flick receives "mountains of accolades" or is the "official movie of DVD Talk," then I'd label it mildly overrated too. Plus, I'm biased in favor of anything Eliza-related (I bet if I saw Soul Survivors I'd label it "The Exorcist for the New Millennium" - despite its low IMDB rating), so it's hard to judge if I'd have liked the movie if, er, someone I don't consider the most beautiful woman I've ever seen had played the role of Missy (?).

Nevertheless, Bring It On just hit all the right notes for me. The performances were likeable, the dialogue was fairly witty, it was well-paced. And there were other "little touches" that made me think, "I'm glad they executed the scene that way. Very fitting." The toothbrushing segment was one example; another would be that choreographer with the funky facial hair design. Loved the (scenery-chewing?) work he did. "Report those compliments to your ass before it gets so big it forms its own website!" Then there's the ending, and I'm glad they decided to
Spoiler:
have the squad come in second place.

It's still hard to discount The Eliza Factor, but to get kind of back to the point of this thread, I guess I look forward to the next directorial effort of the immortal Peyton Reed - even IF The Living Goddess isn't in the cast.
Old 05-01-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

His commentary track was excellent on Bring It On
Old 05-01-03, 02:43 PM

I don't think he is THE Director to watch but from viewing "Bring It On," which I can pratically recite by memory, I think he is going to be very good. "Bring It On" could've come across extremely hokey and stupid, especially if someone like Bret Crapner Directed it, but the way he handled the shots, and more importantly the material(very tongue in cheek-don't take seriously) really made the movie enjoyable. Of course it probably helped that Kirsten Dunst, Eliza, and Claire Kramer were in the cast!

I feel very good about knowing he is behind the camera for the Fantastic Four movie.
Old 05-01-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by matrixrok9
cus he's a cool guy!!!!!!!! Very down to earth. His new movie with Ewan McGregor and Rennee Zellwegger doesn't seem like it's going to be a hit though.
It does look like an interesting movie though. Unforunately, you're right in that it doesn't look like it will have mass appeal. But then again, I would have thought the same about Moulin Rouge and it did okay.

Will like to see how his next efforts go, but he's someone I would at least keep my eye on.
Old 05-01-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't he look like Anthony Edwards (Mark on E.R.)?
Old 05-01-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pics of the Peyton Reed encounter:

http://ereview.topcities.com/Peyton/peytonreed.html

Sorry guys, my server sucks. The pics won't shop up on this board.
Old 05-01-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't agree with Harry Knowles on a lot of things, but his constantly pushing the idea of Reed doing Fantastic Four as a '60s period piece seems like a really cool idea.
Old 05-01-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He has the name of this hot chick i used to admire from afar in high school so i like him.

I liked bring it on, but then again I have yet to see a cheerleader film I didn't like. Down with love could be a lot of fun or make me wan't to run around with scissors cutting things at random while howling like a madman and drooling like a saint bernard.

As for the fantastic four movie, i'm sure it will be better than the roger corman version!
Old 05-01-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just checked out the pics of peyton reed. He looks nothing like that hot chick i used to admire from afar in high school. Dissapointing. He does look like as someone pointed out, like anthony edwards from e.r. and the great film, miracle mile.

It looks like he is holding a starbucks coffee cup. I don't like him anymore.
Old 05-01-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition