Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Howie Day, "The Madrigals"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, I've become somewhat of a DVDTalk expatriate the past six months due to increased responsibilities at work and less free time during nights and weekends, but I got a lot of good music & movie recommendations off this site when I used to have the time to visit, so I thought I'd pitch one in. For anyone that's into the newer generation of singer songwriters (Jack Johnson and the like) I'd suggest picking up this EP. It's got 5 songs, a 30 minute live DVD and is only $5.99 at Best Buy this week. I picked up his album "Australia" after hearing the song "She Says" on Scrubs (in fact, I think it was a fellow DVDTalker who identified what the song was for me). Anyway, it's been one of my favorites in that style of music since I got it and after picking up "Madrigals" yesterday, I'm really anxious for the kid to go on his next tour.

Just so I don't sound like a complete shill for Howie Day or whatever label he's under, I'll also throw out a recommendation for Sondre Lerche, "Faces Down". 19 yr. old norwegian kid who's a little more poppy, but it's probably my second favorite album I've picked up this year.

And hell, if you get either of those, I might as well throw out my favorite album I've picked up this year, The Postal Service, "Give Up", which is really different than either of them, but great in a different way.

Ok, I'll stop now. It's been too long since I've been on here and if I'm not careful I'll end up posting all day and blowing off way too much work that needs to be done. If anyone takes any of these recommendations seriously & picks up an album, hope you like it.
Old 04-30-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Howie Day, "The Madrigals"

Originally posted by maxfisher
For anyone that's into the newer generation of singer songwriters (Jack Johnson and the like) I'd suggest picking up this EP. It's got 5 songs, a 30 minute live DVD and is only $5.99 at Best Buy this week. I picked up his album "Australia" after hearing the song "She Says" on Scrubs (in fact, I think it was a fellow DVDTalker who identified what the song was for me). Anyway, it's been one of my favorites in that style of music since I got it and after picking up "Madrigals" yesterday, I'm really anxious for the kid to go on his next tour.
If you like Howie Day, I suggest you get both Ben Kweller albums and the Sam Roberts EP, Inhuman Condition. Also, Brendan Benson's Lapalco is great.
Old 05-01-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Howie Day, "The Madrigals"

Originally posted by Spike Jonze
If you like Howie Day, I suggest you get both Ben Kweller albums and the Sam Roberts EP, Inhuman Condition. Also, Brendan Benson's Lapalco is great.
I haven't heard Sam Roberts but I like Brendan Benson. Did you know that he's great friends with Jack White from the White Stripes?

I would also suggest the following singers if you're into this group:

Jason Mraz and Jonathan Keyes. Both are amazing.
Old 05-01-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Howie Day, "The Madrigals"

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Did you know that he's great friends with Jack White from the White Stripes?
Yeah, The White Stripes do some Brendan Benson covers every now and then at shows. They even do a studio cover of Good To Me on the Seven Nation Army single.