Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panny RP82 Sound Problem!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 11:06 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Until now, I haven't had any problems, but I'm now noticing that I have to crank my volume up to about 20 (whereas it used to be around 40) for an acceptable sound level...

Now I'm noticing a pretty loud high hum coming from all 5 speakers...When I fast forward to a chapter (or at the beginning of a disc when the chapters bounce around before finding the menu or chapter), it stops and then comes on again...

I'm using a Pioneer receiver that causes no such other problems when playing the radio, Hi-Fi VCR tracks, etc.

Am I going insane?
Old 04-30-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the input on the reciever becuase it would be rare that the added noise is coming from the dvd player itself but anythings possible.

Toslink or Coaxial?
Old 04-30-03, 08:13 AM
Mao

It's hooked up via one of those Monster Cables...I know it's not optical...sorry, forgot what it's called....
Old 04-30-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your RP82 is broken, and beyond repair. I'll send you my e-mail address, and I'll buy your player for $25.00, just so you don't feel down.

Deal?

Old 04-30-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll give you $26
Old 04-30-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mao
It's hooked up via one of those Monster Cables...I know it's not optical...sorry, forgot what it's called....
Are you using a cable with enough bandwidth for your coax output?
Old 04-30-03, 11:13 PM
Mao

nekobus,

Since I'm real dumb on these issues, please explain...

I just don't know why it would happen all of a sudden!

Just thinking, too, might having my DishNetwork box sitting on top of it in the cabinet have anything to do with it? Sheilding, etc?
Old 05-01-03, 08:04 AM

Doesn't the RP82 only have an optical audio port? If that's the case, it could be a bad cable. Even a slight crimp or bend can cause a lot of noise.

Try replacing the cable.
Old 05-01-03, 09:12 AM

Could you play an audio CD in it to see if you have the same audio problems? Do you know if the problem is still present when you switch between the audio ouputs (i.e. 2 channel, PCM, 6 channel, etc) in your DVD player menu? You could check the connections between the DVD player and your receiver to make sure that none of them are loose. Have your receiver settings been changed without your knowledge? Can you use the analog outputs (2 channel or 6 channel) to see if you have a similar problem?

I'm not saying that any of my suggestions might help, but it's something to try.
Old 05-02-03, 12:11 AM
Mao

iveal,

Thanks for the tips...tried an audio CD and no problems! Tried a couple different DVDs and the same thing happens! A very noticible high hum when there's no dialogue...

I'm gonna try the analog inputs, but doesn't this decrease the sound quality, especially when I've been using this digital coax? If I go analog, will I notice a big sound difference? Is optical a pain and worth the expense (are they expensive?)

Sorry for all the goofy questions...it's just making me crazy!
Old 05-02-03, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Mao
iveal,

Thanks for the tips...tried an audio CD and no problems! Tried a couple different DVDs and the same thing happens! A very noticible high hum when there's no dialogue...

I'm gonna try the analog inputs, but doesn't this decrease the sound quality, especially when I've been using this digital coax? If I go analog, will I notice a big sound difference? Is optical a pain and worth the expense (are they expensive?)

Sorry for all the goofy questions...it's just making me crazy!
When playing DVDs, do you get the hum through the digital coax when the DVD is paused? Do you know if "Advanced Surround" or "Dialogue Enhancer" is (inadvertently) enabled?

I don't know if using the analog outputs will decrease the sound quality. It depends on the DACs in your DVD player and how clean the signal path is to your receiver and out the speakers. I don't know if you should switch to optical just yet as the problem might still be there and will manifest itself in the optical output too.
Old 05-02-03, 08:06 PM
Mao

Nope, the hum isn't there when I pause the disc and "Advanced Surround" or "Dialogue Enhancer" have been disabled...

Sigh...

I guess it's time to try the analog outputs...
Old 05-05-03, 01:46 AM
Cool New Member

If you tried an audio CD in the DVD Player and it works, it seems like you narrowed it down quite a bit. I would guess it is either a connection problem...or...some sort of decoding problem. I would suggest taking a look at the DVD players audio settings. I have an XP50, which should be similar to yours and I think you want the DD and dts set to bitstream. I recall when I first set mine up I had to switch the dts because my receiver wasn't receiving the proper signal. If you have more than one digital connection on the receiver try switching to one of the others. Make sure the volume is set real low when you experiment so you dont damage anything because it says in my manual you can cause damage if you mess up the settings.

Is that Satellite receiver on or too close to the the player and /or receiver?....Just a side thought.

VTS