Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

any early word on "Nip/Tuck"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
any early word on "Nip/Tuck"?

was just browsing over at theshieldfans.com, and the series that is due to debut in July after "Lucky" finishes up is called "Nip/Tuck". Anyone hear anything about this?

------------------
March 24, 2003:

From the Hollywood Reporter:

FX has settled on an edgy medical drama set in the world of plastic surgery as its follow-up offering to its critically acclaimed cop drama "The Shield."

FX has given a 13-episode pickup to "Nip/Tuck," created by Ryan Murphy for the Shephard-Robin Co. and Warner Bros. TV.

The series stars Dylan Walsh and Julian McMahon as successful Miami plastic surgeons and longtime best friends who are on the verge of a major expansion of their burgeoning practice when McMahon's character goes out on his own to do pro bono surgery on burn victims.

"I'm very enthusiastic that 'Nip/Tuck' can pick up where 'The Shield' left off while broadening the audience a bit -- I think this will have a little more female appeal," FX entertainment president Kevin Reilly said.

The pilot already has people buzzing about the graphic detail with which it depicts operations.

Part of the show's commitment was to go behind the scenes and show the dark side of plastic surgery, said Murphy, who wrote and directed the pilot and is executive producing the series with Greer Shephard and Mike Robin.

"It shows you how these operations, even minor ones like liposuction, are incredibly violent and incredibly painful, and it's important to me to show the length to which people will go to be beautiful," he said.

Murphy got the idea for doing a show about cosmetic surgery when, years ago as a journalist, he went undercover and got an appointment with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon.

"I decided I wanted to do a show about people who use external fixes for their internal problems and how that never works," Murphy said.

Murphy and Reilly compare the envelope-pushing authenticity of the surgical work in "Nip/Tuck" to what was considered a shocking and graphic look at the world of the emergency room in the pilot of NBC's "ER," which Reilly was involved with in the mid-1990s during his tenure as an NBC development executive.

Like the pilot, every episode of "Nip/Tuck" will feature three surgical operations and will employ extensive prosthetic work and special effects.

FX ran into some resistance from advertisers last year with the violent and graphic content of its critically praised "The Shield." And though the network wants to attract advertisers, it is not going to change its edgy identity. "Some of our competitors are going for a much more mainstream fare," Reilly said. "We're not."

As part of FX's commitment to running new original series January through August, "Nip/Tuck" is scheduled to premiere in July, following the first season of the upcoming new comedy "Lucky."

Reilly said the network has a couple of more primetime hopefuls for a summer launch and is planning to order more pilots in the summer for winter and spring.

The pilot for "Nip/Tuck" was part of a batch of three pilots FX ordered in the fall. While the other drama, "Snitch," is not going forward, Paul Reiser's untitled comedy is still in contention, Reilly said.

Co-starring in "Nip/Tuck" are Joely Richardson and John Hensley.

By Nellie Andreeva
Old 04-29-03, 02:14 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I've only seen the preview, but from that it looks promising.
Old 04-29-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, the previews I saw during "Lucky" were pretty
Old 04-29-03, 03:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
FX has had a great track record with their original series lately. Based on that factor alone, I will give this show a try.
Old 04-29-03, 03:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I think it looks interesting. FX is 2 for 2 so far with the Shield and Lucky so I'll give this a try.
Old 07-19-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This premieres on Tues, any reviews yet?
Old 07-19-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the pilot a month or two ago. It was good. One of the best pilots I've seen this year.
Old 07-19-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got it all ready to be Tivo'ed!
Old 07-20-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tuesday. Must not forget.

I've been pleased with both The Shield and Lucky, so I will definitely be checking this one out.
Old 07-21-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I'll check it out - got the Replay set to record it.
Old 07-21-03, 08:59 AM

I didn't read the review because I didn't want to get spoilers, but Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+.
Old 07-22-03, 01:37 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Here's a write up for it
(tags for teasers)
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/tvb/20030722/105889147500.html

All TV Barn News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cutting-edge 'Nip/Tuck'
Tuesday July 22 9:31 AM ET

By Aaron Barnhart, TV Barn

FX, the channel that wants to be HBO without that pesky added monthly fee, first got our attention last year with the good-cops-go-bad drama "The Shield." Now, with its new series, "Nip/Tuck," it has really gotten our attention.

The story of two plastic surgeons and their over-the-top personal and professional lives, the intensely watchable "Nip/Tuck" (10 p.m. ET Tuesdays) is the HBO movie "Breast Men" crossed with "The Practice" in hot, hot Miami. It has surgical gore, teen lust, self-mutilation, tanning-bed sex, fugitive drug lords (a la "Kingpin"), marital meltdowns and a yacht named the Boatox.

Normally you'd write off a show this loaded with Pavlovian elements as a desperate attempt to flag down a speeding viewer's drive-by attention span. But "Nip/Tuck" comes from producer Ryan Murphy, who created the show "Popular" for the WB network four years ago. "Popular" started out as a light comedy about high school but quickly evolved into a moody, ultra-earnest dramedy about teen self-image. It took on eating disorders, obesity and peer status with a perspective rarely seen in teen entertainment (which may explain why the WB canned the show after two seasons).

Not surprisingly, a large number of characters on "Nip/Tuck" are also obsessed with body image. Christian (Julian McMahon), the surgeon with the fabulous press-on tan and endless appetite for fresh flesh, seduces a model at the bar simply by revealing his occupation. Later, she confesses her desire to be "perfect," so he takes lipstick and etches surgery suggestions on her face, legs and torso. For just a moment, someone is pulled out of TV's endless parade of glamorous bodies, stripped of everything and marked up like a mannequin. You can't help but feel sorry for her -- and feel a little uneasy knowing that this kind of cosmetic evaluation is what makes the world of show business go 'round.

In fact, a lot of "Nip/Tuck" requires a strong stomach. We see surgeries go awry. Someone takes a hypodermic needle right where most men would least desire one (ouch).

But the core of the show is its characters, who are vividly drawn and well cast, and its tangle of provocative story lines.

Christian's business partner and temperamental opposite is Sean (Dylan Walsh),
Spoiler:
who has gone cold toward his wife, Julia (Joely Richardson), which in turn rekindles her old flame for Christian
. Meanwhile, Sean's teenage son Matt (John Hensley)
Spoiler:
wants a circumcision to avoid performance anxiety with his girlfriend...
and we haven't even gotten to the patients yet.

"Nip/Tuck," a mind-altering show about body altering, is strictly for adults. It has grown-up themes, grisly operating-room footage and plenty of colorful language.
Old 07-23-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
So, any opinions on the 1st episode? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but taped it.
Old 07-23-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to say a whole lot about it, don't want to ruin anything for everyone that taped/TIVO'd it, but I thought it was pretty good. Considering how different the 2 partners are, it's kind of hard to believe that they are partners, let alone long time best friends, but, that's part of the plot.

I'll definitely watch next weeks episode.
Old 07-23-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I turned it off after 45 minutes- Mostly because the sound mix was all messed up.
I don't know about the rest of the country, but at least on RCN in boston, all the dialogue was at LEAST 12 decibels below all of the background music. I had to turn the volume knob on my amp to 12 o'clock every time someone spoke, but every time any music or commercials came back on, it was back down to it's usual 9 o'clock position. and that was AFTER switching the audio setting on my cable box to high compression. It was just too frustrating to have a finger on the volume the entire time. Anyone else experience this, or was I the only one??

-jason
Old 07-23-03, 08:06 AM

No problem with the sound mix here.

It wasn't bad. I thought the pilot was overlong (90 minutes), and could have done without the Joely Richardson sub-plot. The neglected wife thing has been done to death.

Also, where did they get a widescreen camcorder 16 years ago?
Old 07-23-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wasn't bad. The son was annoying, and looks oddly like Michael Jackson. It was a good pilot, but I have doubts for the rest of the episodes. It could remain interesting, but I also see that it could slide fairly easily. I'll give it 2 more episodes before making a final judgement.
Old 07-23-03, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
The son was annoying, and looks oddly like Michael Jackson.
I thought the same thing! Pretty funny considering the subject matter of the show.
Old 07-23-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by fuzzbox
I turned it off after 45 minutes- Mostly because the sound mix was all messed up.
I don't know about the rest of the country, but at least on RCN in boston, all the dialogue was at LEAST 12 decibels below all of the background music. I had to turn the volume knob on my amp to 12 o'clock every time someone spoke, but every time any music or commercials came back on, it was back down to it's usual 9 o'clock position. and that was AFTER switching the audio setting on my cable box to high compression. It was just too frustrating to have a finger on the volume the entire time. Anyone else experience this, or was I the only one??
Comcast here in Boston sounded OK. The music was on the loud side, but the dialogue was perfectly audible. Must have been an RCN problem.

Originally posted by Groucho
Also, where did they get a widescreen camcorder 16 years ago?
The camcorder wasn't widescreen. She was watching the tape in one of the "Screen Fit" modes on her TV, a little bit cropped & a little bit stretched.

Originally posted by Groucho, re: Son looking like Michael Jackson
I thought the same thing! Pretty funny considering the subject matter of the show.
Did you see the trailer for future episodes? In one clip one of the doctors says, "And you're sure this would be your first surgery?". Cut to a guy who looks exactly like Michael Jackson saying, "Mmm hmmm."

Anyway, as for the show, I thought it was good but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I guess I was expecting something a little more "fun", something like Miami Vice with surgeons. This was kind of like that, but it was also very serious and dark, and a lot of the story was pretty depressing.

But I thought it was interesting and I'd watch it again.
Old 07-23-03, 10:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was good. I was a little surprised with how graphic the operation scenes were and might have turned a lot of people off right away.

I'll keep watching
Old 07-23-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. I really can't put my finger on why, but I figure I'll give it a few more eps before I write it off.
Old 07-23-03, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by MrX
I was a little surprised with how graphic the operation scenes were and might have turned a lot of people off right away.
What's funny is that they can show somebody getting a butt implant, but they can't show a pair of boobs?
Old 07-23-03, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Groucho
LMAO my sister looked at me and said what in the hell are you watching with Mike. Jackson in it! Other than that IMO i thought the show was interesting..lots of drama. I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.
Old 07-23-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for those like me who missed it
fri the 25th at 11:30
and
sun 27th at 10:00 pm for the pilot
Old 07-23-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was very good. I agree about the son...he looks very miscast. Everybody else is very "pretty" in that rich kind of way, and he seems out of place. I didn't immediately think of Michael Jackson, but I see it.

I was a fan of "Popular" (which, sadly, will never have a proper send-off), so I'm pleased with this new series. I like the stylish, sleek feel of it, and the gory bits of plastic surgery. Good, good fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.