Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Time Warner DVR

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time Warner DVR

Anyone have one of these? I saw the commercial the other day and the wife and I have been looking into a Tivo or ReplayTV. We are moving so I figured when they come out for the transfer that I would give it a shot. It's only 6.95 (here in Charlotte) per month and seems to be just like a tivo as far as features go. Plus it doubles as your cable box which I kinda like. They are coming to tomorrow morning to hook it all up so I will let you know how it works. Just wondering if anyone else had it or had any opinions...
Old 04-28-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have heard about them coming out. 6.95 isn't bad. The only bad thing is the quantity of hd space?

Can you record multiple sessions at a time?
Does it come with a season pass feature?

let us know.
Old 04-28-03, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by thejammy
i have heard about them coming out. 6.95 isn't bad. The only bad thing is the quantity of hd space?

Can you record multiple sessions at a time?
Does it come with a season pass feature?

let us know.
the harddrive will hold 40 hours. Not huge but big enough for my wife and I. There is a season pass feature and you can record 2 shows at once. Also does Picture-In-Picture and doesn't require a phoneline. The only catch I can see is that you are required to have digital cable.

I noticed on the Time Warner Austin website (I used to live in Austin) that the monthly price is 9.95 so i guess it varies from market to market on price. I'll post more tomorrow or the next day when I actually have to unit in my house, working, and get some shows recorded.

Last edited by mljones99; 04-28-03 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I hear the cable PVRs have few functions beyond the basic record & playback. If you don't mind not having the bells and whistles of Replay or TIVO then a cable PVR box is probably a good way to go.
Old 04-30-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does the time warner dvr record hd signals? that's one of my biggest complaints against my replays...that and that they don't have optical audio inputs. and that their collision detection system is crap. but i still love them.
Old 05-01-03, 12:21 PM

I got one last Friday and love it. I held off buying a Tivo in anticipation of it. I like that it combines the digital cable and recorder into one box and that you can record two simultaneous programs on different channels. A thousand times better than using the old vcr.
Old 05-01-03, 09:26 PM

I am loving mine so far! I am not sure exactly what bells and whistles TiVo and Replay have over the cable DVR but I do know that the one I have has more than just simple record and playback. the quality is awesome and its real simple to use. I might have to get another one for the game room.
Old 05-03-03, 06:37 PM
omi

Does anyone know if these new DVR units are HDTV capable? I have a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box from TW that I use to watch HD broadcasts. I would hate to be forced to choose between one or the other for my tv. I want it all!
Old 05-04-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had one for several months now. It's basic, but it's great for what it is, and the price is nice as well.
Old 05-10-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by omi
Does anyone know if these new DVR units are HDTV capable? I have a Scientific Atlanta HDTV box from TW that I use to watch HD broadcasts. I would hate to be forced to choose between one or the other for my tv. I want it all!
This will be the sticking point for me as well. In Kansas City they've got the DVRs front and center on their website, I don't think they've rolled them out yet, though. I signed up for the waiting list.

I'm certain these won't be recording HDTV, but if they can't at least tune the HDTV channels, I'll be skipping it.
Old 05-19-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i am thinking of getting one. i miss my tivo ever since we stopped using it a year ago... there were complications w/it and our digital cable...

now if this is cheaper...

oh and the price discrpency 6.99 vs 9.99, i think they said if you already have a premium channel and road runner it is 6.99/mo if not its 9.99 or something.
Old 05-27-03, 05:04 AM

Anyone having any problems with theirs? I have been getting these verticle lines on some of my recorded shows and it has lost or erased shows a couple of times. Have a call in so I will see what happens.
Old 05-29-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked mine up on Tuesday, and so far I am very happy with it. I have the version that has the Pioneer Passport Echo software, so I haven't really stumbled across and bugs or crashes yet. Not only is it a decent (if simple) DVR, but it plays VERY nice with my ReplayTV. Not only can my ReplayTV control it without a hitch, but because the DVR has two tuners, I can record one program on it and one on the ReplayTV at the same time! I've tested it twice so far and it worked both times. The video record quality is almost as good as the medium quality on the ReplayTV, so I'm satisfied with that.
Old 05-29-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Electric2k
I picked mine up on Tuesday, and so far I am very happy with it. I have the version that has the Pioneer Passport Echo software, so I haven't really stumbled across and bugs or crashes yet. Not only is it a decent (if simple) DVR, but it plays VERY nice with my ReplayTV. Not only can my ReplayTV control it without a hitch, but because the DVR has two tuners, I can record one program on it and one on the ReplayTV at the same time! I've tested it twice so far and it worked both times. The video record quality is almost as good as the medium quality on the ReplayTV, so I'm satisfied with that.

What is the model?

Comcast is now offering this for 9.95 per month with a Scientific Atlanta 8000 box. I wasn't going to consider it (since I already have 2 Replays) but if it has 2 tuner capability, I might consider it.

Do you use an IR blaster for it (from the Replay)?
Old 05-29-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is indeed the SA 8000 DVR. It's just that I've read on the Yahoo group for this that some providers still have the older SA software (which is quite buggy), but I have the newer Passport Echo software.

Since you're on Comcast, I would do some research to try to find out which version of the software they use.

I do indeed use the IR blaster, and it works very well. It's quite a bit faster at changing channels than my old digital cable box actually.
Old 05-29-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

If I get one, I'll wait until the fall season starts. I record far less in the summer so I should never have a 3-program conflict.
Old 06-05-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, got mine from Time Warner Kansas City. It's a SA8000 with Passport Echo software.

The hard drive is loud, even when the unit is turned off, I can hear it clicking away. That will not stand. Are all DVRs like that?

I was told they will have HD-capable (tuning at least, if not recording) units in the "fall"
Old 06-06-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay

The hard drive is loud, even when the unit is turned off, I can hear it clicking away. That will not stand. Are all DVRs like that?

They make noise but not a lot of noise. The only time I notice the noise is when it goes from the off/stand-by position to recording.
Old 06-10-03, 01:22 PM

I have a Tivo series2. love it. i have it lifetime for $249. i also added Home Media option for $99. in all i spent near $700.

$6.95 a month is very tempting, but then I would have to delve into digital cable. i dont own any digital TVs right now since we have 4 TVs, we would need 4 digital cable boxes right? so price-wise the Tivo costed me more upfront but will pay for itself *i believe* in a couple of years and will be equal to or less than going with a cable pvr, thats when I will probably go High Definition.

as for features, the Tivo is pretty quiet i cant really hear it unless i go closer to the box. Home media option rocks cause my roomies and I can stream our mp3s off our PCs to the Tivo in the living room for parties. as well i like the fact that i can schedule recordings online as well. only downside, having to buy this $30 USB ethernet adapter.