Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony WEGA TV -- How to get Remote Controller to work?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I bought a slightly used Sony Wega TV. When I was testing the TV out before I bought it, the remote control DID work. However, when I bought it home, the remote doesn't seem to function at all. It won't turn on the TV, won't turn up the volume or anything.

However, when I press buttons on the remote, the lights on the remote light up so i know there are working batteries inside.

Also, the guy who i bought this TV from had receivers, and other HT compoents on the TV so i'm thinking the tv is set on some special setting.

Does anyone know how to RESET a sony wega tv remote? Is there a setting on the TV itself?

Sorry, but I dont' have the manual for the TV.

THanks in advance!
Old 04-28-03, 03:29 PM

Sup Mitz.

If your wega is similar to mine, look for the red lights. Make sure it is selected to use "TV"... which is the far right option for me.

Also i think there is a way to reset the remote, let me check my manual at home and post later on today.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-03, 03:56 PM
Banned

Hey Darthkim, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did make sure the remote was on "TV" mode. Unfortuantely it still doesn't work.

Hopefully you remember check your manual when you get home and post in this thread!

Thanks
Old 04-28-03, 04:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Take the batteries out for a while. And even though you "know" the old batteries are ok, try some new ones.
Old 04-28-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What X said. Dead batteries can enough juice to light the remote, even if a signal's not being sent. Try new batteries before doing anything else.

How old is the Wega? I've got the current model and can tell you there is no setting on the TV that stops the remote from functioning, and nothing to reset on the remote. It is a universal remote though, so just double check and make sure it's in TV mode

Also, if you've got a universal remote around, program it for Sony and see if it responds to that. The remote could be OK, but the sensor on the TV could've been jarred loose during moving, or possibly even blocked the way it's set up.
Old 04-29-03, 01:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll do that once I get home from work. Hopefully it works!
Old 05-01-03, 07:03 PM
Banned

Yep, it looks like the batteries were strong enough just to light up the button on the remote but not to do anything else.

I replaced the batteries and it works now!

Thanks all -- I guess those buttons aren't a good indicator if the remote works or not!
Old 05-01-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent!
Old 05-01-03, 09:47 PM
Rest in Peace

MitzEclipse

X was right on, I personally never use the batteries that come with any new or used product. Batteries that are best for these date, are Lithium with a shelf life of 10 years. Alkaline are only good for a few years of the same shelf life and carbon-zinc batteries are at the bottom.

Glad to hear your remotes working.
Old 05-02-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make sure the TV is plugged in.
Old 05-02-03, 11:06 AM
Banned

Thanks again