Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with DirecTV signal...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The picture from my DirecTV receiver is real faded. It’s like watching a show through a heavy fog. The picture itself, other than being faded, is normal, and the colors are fine (other than being faded). The sound is normal.

The picture is fine from other sources (antenna, DVD, VCR), so the problem isn’t the TV.

I called DirecTV and the technician agreed that it was either the cables, or the receiver. I don’t have any close friends with DirecTV, thus can’t see if my receiver works with somebody else’ cables. I am pretty sure that it is the receiver, since the sound is fine.

Does this problem ring a bell with anybody?

DirecTV wanted $70 for a service call (including parts), but if the problem is the receiver I would just pick up another receiver from ebay (the cost isn’t high if you don’t need the “smartcard”).
Old 04-28-03, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has the picture ever been good? I assume it has and just recently went bad. If that's the case then it will most likely be the receiver and not cables.

If it was never right get back with who you got it from and get a replacement. If it's been a while see if Directtv will just replace it for you for a small fee. Then you have a brand new, compatible receiver.

The problem with the ebay route is you need to know the different model numbers and such or you may end up with a last year or older model.

Good Luck
Old 04-28-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had this receiver for 14 months, and the picture was fine, until yesterday when I turned on the TV and the picture was bad.

I'll give DirecTV another call and see if they'll replace it for a low fee. My friend had a Dishnetwork receiver that they replaced for a low RMA charge (and he only paid shipping one way).

Edit: OK, I just called DirecTV. For $30 plus tax, they will mail me a refurbished receiver, and I just place my current receiver in that box and mail it back to them. They pay for shipping to me, I believe that I would pay for shipping back.

I also found my owner's manual, the receiver has a 12 month warranty (I'm in month 14...). But, the manual also had a phone number for Hughes technical support, so I will call them tonight (when I am in front of my receiver).

Last edited by Heat; 04-28-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well good luck with that heat. Maybe they will give you a tivo one by accident
Old 04-29-03, 06:20 AM

Sounds like the Directtv replacement is the way to go. Good luck
Old 04-29-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I called Hughes technical support. The guy ran me through a few steps, one of which was to reset the brightness (and tint, etc), to default settings. It turns out that one of my sons must have somehow switched the brightness to the maximum setting, thus the white color to everything.

I thought I had reset this, I must have just reset this on the TV and reset something else on the receiver.

Anyway, the receiver is fine and I don't need a replacement or anything.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-03, 06:17 AM

You know I was thinking about this last night. Was going to ask if you had any kids or pets running around. They mess things up at my house more often than anything. Glad you got it figured out.