Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What Game Sequels Let You Down The Most?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just sitting at home at 6:00 in the morning looking at my Gamecube and just thought to myself that Super Smash Melee really let me down. IMO, the game is really fast paced and the stages have way too much movement and it sort of takes away from the actual "battling". I anticipated this game for months and months and years and months and so on and it was easily the biggest letdown for me regarding sequels.

What's yours?
Old 04-28-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twisted Metal 3.
Old 04-28-03, 06:09 AM

Metal Gear Solid 2!
Old 04-28-03, 06:13 AM

Gotta agree with Sraan, MGS2 was the worst "Next Chapter in the Series" game of all time, IMO. Makes me sick thinking about how much time I spent on it.
Old 04-28-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and X
Chrono Cross
every Bond game since Goldeneye
Old 04-28-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wing Commander Privateer. The first installment is a masterpiece that despite of lousy graphic and sound, it still have terrific gameplay even for today's standard. But the sequel really let me down. Not only because it's not being set at the original Wing Commander universe but also the gameplay sucks big time.
Old 04-28-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, etc, etc..
Old 04-28-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
People, c'mon. FF VII? Now pixyboi has made it very clear he doesn't like cinematics. I chalk that up to taste (though really there weren't that many in that one). But to say it's the most disappointing sequel ever? That's just absurd.

Twisted Metal 3 is a good call.
Need For Speed : High Stakes was a huge letdown after Hot Pursuit.
I'll be the first to say DMC2, but I wasn't so wild about the original either.

Last edited by Decker; 04-28-03 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 09:03 AM
Banned

Perfect Dark

Earthworm Jim 2
Old 04-28-03, 09:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
Perfect Dark
Not a sequel.
Old 04-28-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People, c'mon. FF VII?
Let's see... FF6 was a masterpiece, a classic in it's own time. FF7 was touted as the best game ever -- new technology, beaultiful cut-scenes, sequel to FF6, etc. and it lived up to none of the hype. Sure it sold a lot of copies, but so did Superman. It was an OK game when should have and could have been something special.
Old 04-28-03, 10:10 AM

Actually, it was a huge seller (unlike Superman). One of the biggest hits ever for the PS One. It got stellar reviews. Gamerankings.com gives it a 92.5%, which is one of the highest ratings on the system, and a clear indication that most people loved it (as I certainly did).

Gaming, like music or movies, is subjective. I won't argue with you about your expierience. But to say that it lived up to none of the hype is just plain wrong.
Old 04-28-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Not a sequel.

Technically true, but Perfect Dark was an "unofficial" sequel to Goldeneye. That being said, this game didn't disappoint me at all.
Old 04-28-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having played through Final Fnatasy III about 100 times I can say with all of my heart, that Final Fantasy VII let me down. Not only for cinematics, but the overall experience. The characters were all retarded anime characters, and anybody who didn't laugh at Areith's death scene is delusional. Let's see, we've been shot at, stepped on by giant mechs, set on fire, and cut to pieces the entire game, and she takes one sword blow and dies? Lamest plot device ever. Don't we have magic and items that can revive people? LAME LAME LAME. There were 4 characters in FFVII and 14 in III.. hmm.. the weapon and armor system was eliminated.. the materia system made the minimal number of characters that were in the game identical. It was impossible to die in the game unless you 1) never played an RPG before 2) were fighting Ruby/Emerald. And people that claimed that Ruby and Emerald were challenging are idiots. Any "boss" you fight were the only way to kill it is to cast the same spell 30 times is NOT challenging, it's called tedious. Challenging would be a battle where you had to think and use your resources (ie: final battle in Dragon Warrior 4). The summon spells were god damn stupid. Yes, I'd like to watch this 12 minute animation every time i want to kill something.. the story was nothing special, again, the people that oozed over how great the story was have probably never read a BOOK.

I could go on and on and on.. but I think I've proven that TO ME, it was a highly disapointing sequel..
Old 04-28-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Argh.. forgot to mention and it needs to be mentioned..

The soundtrack.. compared to FFIII.. garbage.

There were a few good bits here and there (like the theme for the gangsters, forgot thier name, good track)..

Every piece of music from FFIII was genius.. the final battle music, how it changed with every level, and the ending song, which was a reprise of EVERY character's theme in the game.. man.. that was beautiful stuff. Who doesn't remeber the pulsing music when you fought Atma Weapon the first time?! That really got you going. Oh man.. and and..

Crap.. crap, crap..

I'm going to have to pull out my SNES tonight..
Old 04-28-03, 11:08 AM

Majora's Mask.
Old 04-28-03, 11:28 AM

OK, pixyboi, you make a fair number of arguements. I really enjoyed the game, as did many others, but I guess I understand why you didn't like it. To be fair, I never played the prior games and can't comment on how they compare to VII. I agree with you about Areith's death, I was also wondering why nobody could use magic on her. That said, it was one of the bigger surprises in gaming.
You keep comparing it to FF III, weren't there 3 other sequels in between that must have been inferior in your eyes as well.

Anyways, I'm tired of defending FF VII. I loved the game. I enjoyed the story (though it didn't blow me away). I liked the minigames, the Chocobo racing, the world map system. Overall it was a great gaming expierence for me and one of the few games I've stuck with for more than 50 or 60 hours. That's my expeirence. Maybe it's an RPG geared for people who never played RPGs or don't like them.

You claim it's the most disappointing sequel in gaming history; that there's no worst game ever to have a number after it? Fine. Let's agree to disagree.
Old 04-28-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aliens vs Predator 2

At least I could make it to the end of MGS2 (albiet, in just a couple hours).
Old 04-28-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Vandal Hearts II
2. Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
3. Spider-Man: The Movie
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Tenchu 2
Old 04-28-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Devil May Cry 2
Old 04-28-03, 12:12 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The latest Turok offering
Old 04-28-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Decker
OK, pixyboi, you make a fair number of arguements. I really enjoyed the game, as did many others, but I guess I understand why you didn't like it. To be fair, I never played the prior games and can't comment on how they compare to VII. I agree with you about Areith's death, I was also wondering why nobody could use magic on her. That said, it was one of the bigger surprises in gaming.
You keep comparing it to FF III, weren't there 3 other sequels in between that must have been inferior in your eyes as well.

Anyways, I'm tired of defending FF VII. I loved the game. I enjoyed the story (though it didn't blow me away). I liked the minigames, the Chocobo racing, the world map system. Overall it was a great gaming expierence for me and one of the few games I've stuck with for more than 50 or 60 hours. That's my expeirence. Maybe it's an RPG geared for people who never played RPGs or don't like them.

You claim it's the most disappointing sequel in gaming history; that there's no worst game ever to have a number after it? Fine. Let's agree to disagree.
Well.. III was VI in Japan.. so there weren't any in between!

I totally understand that if a person never played FF II or III.. that VII would blow them away! I had fun when I played it, and I played through twice. It really wasn't until AFTER I was finished did I start to resent the game. Other than graphical advacements, IMO the series went backwards in all other aspects. If you have a chance, I would pick up the PSX disc that has FF 6 on it, I doubt it would win you over as you started out with 7 and your expectations may be based on the new games, but I think no RPG gamer should go without playing this title (or Chrono Trigger for that matter).
Old 04-28-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
1. Vandal Hearts II
Good call..
Old 04-28-03, 12:45 PM

pixyboi,
Wasn't some FF game supposed to be coming out for the GBA? If that was FF III, then I'd be all over it! I'll have to look out for that PS disc as well.

While I certainly agree that the latest Turok blew chunks, didn't they all suck after that first N64 one?

I've got another one : Gex 2. Those "hysterical wisecracks" really drove me nuts (or was it the camera system?).
Old 04-28-03, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Wasn't some FF game supposed to be coming out for the GBA?
All that's been announced up to this point is Final Fantasy Tactics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.