Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sometimes when I read the Video Game Forum..

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

..I come away thinking ALL GAMES SUCK. Geez. Is it the fact that we're getting harder to please? Do all games really suck or just most of them on all systems? Are there no games "worthy of praise" around here?
Old 04-25-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe you've personally "outgrown" gaming... could be a "phase"... personally, I like alot of games. Sure, there's plenty of junky games and games that are good, but that don't appeal to me... but then there's plenty games that I love - enough to keep me busy.
Old 04-25-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just that with one successful type of game comes 30 more copy cats of it and thus we get flooded with all these crap games and a handfull of good ones. just getting tougher to get the GOOD original ideas out there.
Old 04-25-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sometimes when I read the Video Game Forum..

Originally posted by Giantrobo
..I come away thinking ALL GAMES SUCK. Geez. Is it the fact that we're getting harder to please? Do all games really suck or just most of them on all systems? Are there no games "worthy of praise" around here?

I think everybody opinion on games is so different. You have to take a good educated guess and cross your fingers. If the game sucks trade it in the exchange forum.

Example:

Indiana Jones for the xbox i thought was a great game i loved the graphics and the story. I posted a thread on it and it immediatly got crapped on. Dvdtalk members were saying It sucks the game was a P.O.S because of the buffy engine used. Now these individuals never played the game. They just read the reviews on it etc. So how would they really know? They don't but they each have an opinion and like to talk out their ass.

For a guy like me i dont give a rats ass about the game's engine or how many bits or do dads each game has. I just want mindless fun to take my mind off buisness and regualr daily bullshiet. The Video game forum for me is a way to fix problems and find mods for my PC games.
Old 04-25-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Trigger
Maybe you've personally "outgrown" gaming... could be a "phase"... personally, I like alot of games. Sure, there's plenty of junky games and games that are good, but that don't appeal to me... but then there's plenty games that I love - enough to keep me busy.
That's the thing I don't think I've outgrown them. I think many cool games are out there. Many that people hate here.
Old 04-25-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Re: Sometimes when I read the Video Game Forum..

Originally posted by damn_skippy
Example:

Indiana Jones for the xbox i thought was a great game i loved the graphics and the story. I posted a thread on it and it immediatly got crapped on. Dvdtalk members were saying It sucks the game was a P.O.S because of the buffy engine used. Now these individuals never played the game. They just read the reviews on it etc. So how would they really know? They don't but they each have an opinion and like to talk out their ass.

For a guy like me i dont give a rats ass about the game's engine or how many bits or do dads each game has. I just want mindless fun to take my mind off buisness and regualr daily bullshiet. The Video game forum for me is a way to fix problems and find mods for my PC games.
This is what I'm talking about. People here seem to dis most games right off the bat.
Old 04-25-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record - I played the Indiana Jones game and didn't like what I played... The demo sucked. Maybe the retail game was better, but there wasn't enough in the demo to make me a believer... not at 50 bucks anyway (and not at 20 either).

I don't crap on a game or a movie unless I've played it or seen it. I mean, I've never said Kabuki Warriors is crappy because I have never played it and have no way of knowing.

Games are friggin expensive and so as consumers we have to be picky. If video games were priced at only 5 bucks each, I'd probably buy every single one... crappy or not.
Old 04-25-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This forum is the same as others, and no doubt many people (at least the way they convey it in their posts) make decisions about games based one a stroy or a couple of screenshots (Castlevania PS2 thread a good example).

A lot of the users on this board are the same way about movies (The Matrix Reloaded will be awesome, Hulk looks like crap), but with games it's different. For some reason, gamers have allegiance to certain games they have played or the companies that produced them, and they defend or attack at will. I think gamers feel a more personal connection with games than they do with movies, because games are an interactive experience. So if the new Zelda game comes out, and an individual gamer has loved the Zelda series and played every game, they have strong opinions on how great it should be. And if it's not, most likely they will still get caught defending its good parts to the critical masses.

Can you imagine what will happen if Halo 2 sucks?

Just remember that if you post here, especially a strong opinion, then it will be picked apart regularly.

In my opinion, the posters here do not really hate specific games. It is more of a disappointment compared to their expectations (phantom menace effect) or a pre-existing prejudice against certain games or company.

stoolie
Old 04-25-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Re: Re: Re: Sometimes when I read the Video Game Forum..

Originally posted by Giantrobo
This is what I'm talking about. People here seem to dis most games right off the bat.

I know and it bugs me to. But F-em.
Old 04-25-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I don't read the forum to judge a game.... rather, I play it, then maybe compare my impressions of the game vs. fellow gamers on a forum.
Old 04-25-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

aren't 90% of PC games financial flops? Doesn't that mean we should dislike 9 out of 10 games?
Old 04-25-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend keeps saying that there aren't good games out there and he is only 17 years old!!!!!

The only game he fell in love with is "Hunter The Reckoning"

"Hunter"!?!?!?!? Come on give me a break. This is not a great great great game but he thinks otherwise and he would fight over it.

If you like a game don't let other people bring you down with stupid comments.....
Old 04-25-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Third Grader: Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best video game EVER!!!

Billy Madison: I disagree. Although it is a very GOOD game, Donkey Kong is the best video game ever.

Third Grader: {slight pause} ...Donkey Kong SUCKS!!!!
Old 04-25-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There ARE good games out there..

The ratio however appears to be about 20 bad games to 1 good game. 50 to 1 is you go PS1/2 exclusive.
Old 04-25-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like with anything else. For every 1 game that's unbelievabley good you have to wade through about 50 games that range from "decent" to "lousy".

The only thing I question is objectivity. "This game sucks!!". Well why does it suck? Give me a few reasons. "It just does!". Sorry not good enough. If you pointed out "I didn't like it because of reasons X, Y. and Z" that's one thing. But I've read on alot of other message boards that say words to the effect "GTA sucks because Halo ROCKS!!". That just doesn't wash.
Old 04-25-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

or... you just have to realize that internet opinions are just that. people often say crap b/c they can.

but in general, yes, i think games suck for one specific reason: the emphasis on graphics.
Old 04-25-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
but in general, yes, i think games suck for one specific reason: the emphasis on graphics.
BINGO. Emphasis on graphics, mature content, CGI movies.. things that should ENHANCE gameplay, not detract from lack of. It's just like the people in the Nintendo thread right now saying Nintendo should make more games with CGI movies and tits so they can sell more games.
Old 04-25-03, 12:10 PM

I know exactly what you mean and my problem was just boredom. No matter how kicka$$ the game was, if I was already starting the "Gaming Rag" nothing could get me back into it for quite a long time.

I went through the same phase (Gaming Rag) 3 times. After playing Atari, Colecovision and Intellivision I got burned out and didn't play anymore games until around 1990 when I finally bought an NES,and then went to a SNES(a little bit) and I quit again until N64 came out. I played N64 for only about a year and I didn't steadily pick up a controller (Son got a PSX and later a PS2) until January 2002 when the Xbox came out.

If it wasn't for Xbox LIVE I'd have already put it up in the closet by now, but even that may not save me from my own history.

A few weeks ago I thought I could get away from that feeling by borrowing a friends GCN. That definitely made me feel worse!!, but I was playing Mario and it was far from what I expected. Maybe I should've rented Metroid Prime instead.

Last edited by WOWZY; 04-25-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that this forum has a collection of (relatively) mature gamers who've been around for a long time playing games. The "fun no matter" freshness of gaming has left us all some time ago and now we are picky about which games and consoles to spend our money. This hobby isn't cheap and I simply cannot afford my time or money to buy and play games that are just okay.
Old 04-25-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I think that this forum has a collection of (relatively) mature gamers who've been around for a long time playing games. The "fun no matter" freshness of gaming has left us all some time ago and now we are picky about which games and consoles to spend our money. This hobby isn't cheap and I simply cannot afford my time or money to buy and play games that are just okay.
We also have some people here who haven't really been that into video games... they aren't really into most video game genres and are more into one specific type... they only play a few hours a week if that just as a passtime... yet they spend countless hours coming here to talk about video games - typically in threads about games they have no interest in to begin with.
Old 04-25-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Re: Re: Sometimes when I read the Video Game Forum..

Originally posted by damn_skippy
I think everybody opinion on games is so different. You have to take a good educated guess and cross your fingers. If the game sucks trade it in the exchange forum.

Example:

Indiana Jones was one of the very few games I've "preordered". Generally I'm never certain enough to do that for a game excepting a couple (ie. Asheron's Call which I beta tested). With IJ I played the demo and loved it (bought Buffy later). The game definitely had that *overall* fun level, but I really don't understand how they managed to let so many bugs slip through the cracks. As I said in my posts in the other thread -- the game was perfect for the most part as far as gameplay IMO, but the bugs that they left in made it practically unplayable in parts. Extremely disappointing overall. What is up with quality control nowadays? I don't mind a *few* bugs in a game as radically complex and open-ended as Morrowind, but I expect a comparatively *simple* game like IJ to be at least as polished as Mechassault (preferably more so since there's no multiplayer).

Oh well.
Old 04-25-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We also have some people here who haven't really been that into video games... they aren't really into most video game genres and are more into one specific type... they only play a few hours a week if that just as a passtime... yet they spend countless hours coming here to talk about video games - typically in threads about games they have no interest in to begin with.
LOL! What a clever choice of words.
Old 04-25-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 19K
Third Grader: Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best video game EVER!!!

Billy Madison: I disagree. Although it is a very GOOD game, Donkey Kong is the best video game ever.

Third Grader: {slight pause} ...Donkey Kong SUCKS!!!!
You have no idea how many times the guys at my old job use those lines for everything.
Old 04-25-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget about the gamer god complex. People who play video games tend to forget their real lives and begin living in the artificial world the game has created. This is why murders occur. This is also why I spent this morning with a Magic Wand in my hand trying to conduct the Wind so that my Talking Boat could get me to work on time.

With this kind of empowerment, it is no wonder we gamers can come to a forum like this and spout our opinions as fact.

stoolie
Old 04-25-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger

This is killing me! I've spend half a day sitting here thinking, and just couldn't quite come up with the guy(s) Trigger is referring to...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.