Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Patrick Stewart: finished with Picard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Patrick Stewart: finished with Picard

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patrick Stewart is finished with Picard

While in New York to promote the upcoming genre sequal X2: X-Men United this week, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) said he is unlikely to return to the role which made him a household name.
"I've probably said goodbye to Picard forever now," Stewart told Lisa Zlotnick at Cinema Confidential.
While there was talk of further TNG adventures if Star Trek Nemesis had done well at the box office, the film's lukewarm reception has all but ruled that out. "I think the Next Generation is over with," the actor said.
Stewart said the part of the tunic-tugging Enterprise captain has affected his chances of scoring certain types of roles. "You want to be seen as an actor, and not as somebody who can be stereotyped and written off," he told New York Newsday. According to the web site, one role Stewart was rejected for went to an actor who won an Academy Award for the part.
The actor has also had his fair share of encounters with obsessive Trek fans over the years. One incident at a performance of a Shakespeare play sorely tested Stewart's resolve. "I went on stage at the Broadhurst Theater as Prospero in The Tempest, only to find two people sitting in the front row in Starfleet uniforms, and I wanted to hurt them."
Link

Disappointing. Not only in the news, but also in the continued bashing of fans once an actor claims to be done with Trek.

How popular would he be now without Picard?

Last edited by Chew; 04-24-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think he's bashing ST fans in general. Just the ones that get out of control. The guy deserves a life doesn't he? He has every right to choose not to play Picard anymore. As an actor, what new ground will he be able to explore, while playing the same character over and over?

Your question about his popularity is moot. We can't know what his career would have been like without TNG.

Besides, for the most part TNG films sucked anyway. What's the big loss?
Old 04-24-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, i see nothing wrong with what Stewart said. Its the same thing with any actor that maintains the same role for so many years. Plus, its one thing to be eternally recognized for one role, but its even worse when you have 'fans' that he described. I'd be plenty pissed if i saw someone do that in the theater.

Screw star trek, he'll be Prof X. in my mind
Old 04-24-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'Star Trek Nemesis' won't be 'A Generation's Final Journey' if actor Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) has anything to say about it.

"I don't want it to be the last time," Stewart told the Chicago Sun-Times. "Honestly, I think if this movie does well, then the cast will get these calls on the Saturday of opening weekend asking us to come back for another one."

The actor, who only signed up to star in The Next Generation because he was assured it would be swiftly cancelled, said he would miss his Trek family. "Mostly, I'd miss the comradeship that has grown over 16 years of working with these people. We weren't just a crew, but really became a family."
link

I'm not bashing his latest decision, because it's his to make. I just find it curious based on what he said above.

Apparently, the poor box office tally gave him a pretty powerful change of heart in just four months.
Old 04-24-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Good Lord... obsessive fans in Trek uniforms at a Shakespearian performance? That's it.. I'm dressing up like an X-man to his next performance of A Christmas Carol.

I'm glad that Nemesis tanked. It's as if after TNG went off the air, no one remembered how to write the characters.
Old 04-24-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a huge fan of Trek (I go to conventions, I've dressed up) I don't find what he said offensive either. I don't totally agree with everything he says, however. He's really one of the Trek actors that has such great talent. He has done and will do many parts outside of the Trek universe. He's not bashing "fan", heck, I'm a fan but to show up at a play in Starfleet gear, I don't blame him for being angry.

He has a right to be a little weary about playing Picard again. Perhaps if they decide to give the movies a rest for awhile (which they probably will with Nemesis' box office) he'd reconsider later. You never know, something may ignite a spark to play Picard again (be it for altruistic or monetary reasons).

He's a good actor and I look forward to whatever he decides to act in (namely, next week at X-2)
Old 04-24-03, 12:38 PM

He's got another great character as Xavier. But the sad thing about hearing him say no more Picard, is just that we didn't get our waitings worth after First Contact, they really should of taken notice of what made FC popular, Insurrection was disappointing, Nemesis and romulans, downbeat end really, Kirk died for him just to make one great film-First Contract? We had no Q in a film, ashame. Borg trilogy would of been awsome. People behind trek right now are idiots who can't get a good enough film to be made, tv series of enterprise, spoils it.

Patrick though will rock on, glad he's in X Men
Old 04-24-03, 12:47 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Sounds to me he's just posturing for more muhla.
Old 04-24-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
I really like Patrick Stewart. He is an excellent actor who really should be cast for some more serious role. I know that he can handle it. I've heard that one of his greatest talents is delivering ridiculous lines in a serious believable tone.

I will really miss Picard and hope that eventually he will change his mind. I really thought that Nemesis left ST fans hanging. I hope they will not leave it like they did.

I understand his frustration. I couldn't believe that people would dress up at a Shakespeare play.
Old 04-24-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing here is I wonder how he's going to feel when X-Men gets up there in number of movies. I mean, you can bet there will be a 3rd and possibly more X-Men movies. Will he get tired of Xavier? Granted, he wouldn't be the character for as long as he has been Picard though.
Old 04-24-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's hope he means it this time.

Of course Berman will probably have a "script" written in one cocaine-fueled weekend and tell the brass to offer Patrick $30 million this time, leaving about $20 million for all other film-related expenses. "We can't lose! It'll be the best Trek film in 20 years!"
Old 04-24-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wander what the oscar movie that he was turned down was.
Old 04-24-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by fumanstan

Screw star trek, he'll be Prof X. in my mind

Does this mean that the next time he's doing a play in the park you'll show up in a wolverine outfit in the front row?
Old 04-24-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The shitty box office to the last Trek film was obviously a sign to the man and any other person that the franchise is dead, now if only the tv shows would follow in suit all would be well.
Old 04-24-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No i'll show up in wheelchair and pretend like i'm controlling everyone's minds
Old 04-24-03, 07:41 PM
Rest in Peace

It is hard to believe that the James Bond series that started in 1962 would 'beat' Star Trek. There were a number of Bonds and a number of Starfleet Captains.

I guess there are better writers for James Bond, the lousy writers were hired to put the Star Trek to its final demise. IMHO
Old 04-24-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not to mention that the bond series spands 40 years and has only 20 or so films. thats a number of years that the public has to miss bond enough to want to come back to it.
Old 04-24-03, 09:38 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Does this mean that the next time he's doing a play in the park you'll show up in a wolverine outfit in the front row?
I'll go and bite off his nose. Then hold him under water and shoot him several times.
Old 04-24-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say kudos to him. At least he knows when to call Trek quits. Any word on when Rick Berman will get a clue?
Old 04-25-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by danol
I guess there are better writers for James Bond, the lousy writers were hired to put the Star Trek to its final demise. IMHO
Have you *seen* the Roger Moore films?
Old 04-25-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jepthah •<HR SIZE=1>Of course Berman will probably have a "script" written in one cocaine-fueled weekend and tell the brass to offer Patrick $30 million this time, leaving about $20 million for all other film-related expenses. "We can't lose! It'll be the best Trek film in 20 years!" <HR SIZE=1>

das
Old 04-25-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Sad to hear. He's definately not leaving the series at it's peak. I enjoyed the 2 movies after First Contact, but that, by a very, very, very wide margin was the best TNG movie.
Old 04-25-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
I'm glad that Nemesis tanked. It's as if after TNG went off the air, no one remembered how to write the characters.
I wish I could disagree, but I can't really... Even in the enjoyable First Contact, they seemed like different people, with little or no continuity to their TV personas... The original Star Trek cast really expanded on their roles in the movies. The TNG cast, not so much... I'd love to see them try it again, of course, but not with the current creative team at the helm.
Old 04-25-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 347 Posts
Even though the movie tanked at the box office, it may do well when it hits DVD. I didn't see it in the theater but will buy the DVD when it comes out.

Maybe the next movie will be 'straight to DVD' ...
Old 04-26-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I was him I wouldn't want to be type-cast in the same role all my life. Poor box office numbers would just help that decision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.