Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw Identity and liked it quite a bit

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

When they first revealed the twist I thought, "Oh crap, this is gonna end wrong and suck," but it actually fleshed out quite nicely and I walked out satisfied.
Old 04-24-03, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am looking foward to seeing this movie, so thanks cdollaz for your opinion..
Old 04-24-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I plan on seeing it this weekend.
Old 04-24-03, 03:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Good to hear - I am looking forward to seeing this.
Old 04-24-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen it twice already and I can't wait to see it a 3rd time. I really do like it alot.
Old 04-25-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

going to see it tonight. Can't wait.
Old 04-25-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was very good. The twists are plausible, they don't cheat.
I liked it a lot.

The best part was the audience watched in silence, riveted. NO talking, cell phones, cellaphane wrappers. It was a treat!
Old 04-25-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my theatre was absolutely silent as well...but I swear it was boredom.

I'm a big Cusack fan and I think the acting in the film was great and it was directed with lots of style and a brisk pace... but man, the script was terrible.

I didn't get a single 'thrill' from this thriller...I figured out the ending within the first 30 minutes and then watched as it played out, exactly as anticipated. They followed all the cliches to a "tee" and tried to create some originality by stealing from various sources and throwing it together into a blender...

I really wanted to love this movie...I've been looking forward to it for months, and I was extremely and bitterly disappointed...

MATT

**1/2 out of *****
Old 04-25-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You figured out within the first 30 minutes that
Spoiler:
all characters were split personalities of the killer and that the little boy was killing everyone off?
wow, that's quite a leap. I suspect most people won't see it coming and will probably be quite surprised at the end.

I was a little disappointed as well. I'm always looking for a good horror/suspense, so I'll check them out when they look good. This one certainly had predictable moments. There really weren't any 'jump' moments, just some general creepiness. I was entertained enough to not feel like I wasted money.

Spoiler:
I remember watching Final Destination, when that girl gets hit by the bus and my mouth just dropped open. I hadn't been that surprised by a movie in years. It was such an unexpected event. If another film had used that shock technique before, I hadn't seen it, at least not that effectively. Now it's being done alot and Identity actually does it a few times.

It didn't really have any good, original scares.

Last edited by monkeyboy; 04-25-03 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought it was a good take on an old formula. Overall I liked it
but my disapointment was
Spoiler:
the way the ending montage
showed how the "bad guy" pulled off the killings, and IMO some
of them left me with questions. I mean how did he get the bat
down the guys throat? Not believable. And I think the premise
hinged on the unreal being real if you know what I mean. (sorry,
I don't want to give to much away for those that haven't seen it)

Jason
Old 04-25-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found the
Spoiler:
baseball bat rammed down the throat kind of funny in an Evil Dead sort of way.

Other than that, I enjoyed the film.

Jake Busey has really big teeth.
Old 04-25-03, 11:42 PM

I was so impressed by this film! I was expecting a decent suspense/thriller, but got soooo much more! I didn't really know exactly what the film was about and oh my, was I surprised! And as for the scare factor, I don't think it was necessarily supposed to be 'scary,' just tense and suspenseful. I don't think it was too suspenseful, however when

Spoiler:
the mother at the beginning gets nailed by the car, I kind of knew it was going to happen, but the way they filmed it just unnerved the hell out of me....and towards the end when the dad gets smashed by the truck, I whinced in pain and I know I had a grimace on my face for at least a minute. It was so harsh and because of who his character was and what had happened to the kid, I felt so badly.

I can't wait to see this several more times. This is one of the better films I've seen in a while. From the very beginning, the way he tells the stories of the people and how they cross paths at the beginning, locked me in and I was rivetted the whole way through. THis movie was so compelling and full of many emotions for me. Like cdollaz, I thought the twist was going to ruin the film, however it played out beautifully.

I highly doubt anyone would figure this out so quickly (in the case of monkeyboy). I was totally surprised and think that most people will be as well.

And jasonbird:
Spoiler:
I think you misunderstood what was going on, IMO (unless I did heh). These things didn't actually happen, and were in his imagination, therefore, not all the murders had to have been realistic
Old 04-26-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the movie quite a bit as well. I'd like to see it again...
Spoiler:
All hell really seemed to break loose when the parents told the boy to be quiet... he shot them a nasty look then. I'd like to see if there was any other foreshadowing.
Old 04-26-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it as well. Spoiler question though...

Spoiler:
So what DID happen to Clea Duvall's (the newlywed) body? Did I miss something in the flashback scene?
Old 04-26-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by matome
Loved it as well. Spoiler question though...

Spoiler:
So what DID happen to Clea Duvall's (the newlywed) body? Did I miss something in the flashback scene?
Spoiler:
I think it just disappeared like the rest of them
Old 04-26-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a few spooky scares in the film (literally, the women in the row in front of me jumped a foot out of her seat at one scene and let out a scream too). As the pieces start to fall into place, I found the film a bit predictable (as many clues were shown without much in terms of subtlety), but nonetheless, the film is entertaining enough with a good cast of actors that gave the performances as dictated by the story that you'll get your money's worth out of the price of admission.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 04-26-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for the body question,
Spoiler:
since none of them actually existed, their bodies just disapeared. Once that identity had been killed, it no longer was around , not even the body.
Old 04-26-03, 06:11 PM

This film is impossible to discuss without spoilers, and I recommend that anyone who wants to see it ignore this thread until after you do.

I just got back from seeing it, and pretty much enjoyed it, too. The first half was particularly good, and I loved the overlapping storylines that brought everyone to the motel.

I did, however, figure out the main twist at the point where
Spoiler:
the diary with all the different personalities writings was shown to the hearing panel.

Prior to that, I thought that maybe
Spoiler:
all the characters were already dead & in Hell. The shot of Sartre's "Being and Nothingness" in the limo put me in mind of his play "No Exit", which uses that device. Also, the scene where Busey tries to run away from the motel and ends up back at it showed that we weren't in the "real" world.

Didn't pick up on
Spoiler:
the identity of the killer personality, though. I thought, when it happened, that he might've killed his mother, but then I assumed that he died in the car explosion.
Nice to have that final twist.

One question, though.
Spoiler:
What was with the body in the freezer? Do you think that it represented the real world killer's original personality -- the one which would've existed had the others not come into being?

Last edited by Skorp; 04-26-03 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-26-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My spoilerized thoughts on the film:

Spoiler:

I recall Rebecca DeMornay got new boobies back when she was a guest star on ER a few years ago (when she was sort of dating Carter). I had a harder time just recognizing her now that she's a bit heavier (like a heavier Traci Lords).

I still think it's highly improbable that a judge would commute a death sentence execution based on a performance with the shrink, but I guess we had to have the guy be labelled "insane" even though the authorities truly have no idea which of the multiple personalities is in charge, and released to a mental hospital, else we don't get the truth of Malcolm's MPD.

I was pretty sure the kid held the key to it all, there were lots of clues. Even the inmate tells the rest of the personalities he's got a secret. Malcolm was pretty aware of what was going on. To have the inmate escape, only to have him find the motel again was the big clue that something was seriously not right with the reality of the situation. The blood on the back of Rhoades shirt was another clue. The kid was the last to be in his mom's room before they find her dead.

I could have done without the hysterical historionics of the blonde girl in the bathroom. That scene got on my nerves. I wasn't feeling no sympathy when she got carbombed.

When Ginny's head is found in the dryer, a women in the row in front me was so scared that she yelped and jumped out of her seat. Scenes like that are almost worth the price of admission.

Old 04-26-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
And jasonbird:
Spoiler:
I think you misunderstood what was going on, IMO
(unless I did heh). These things didn't actually happen, and
were in his imagination, therefore, not all the murders had to
have been realistic
Sorry, I was soo general in my previous post, because a lot
hadn't been revealed in the thread yet. But I really did like
the film and the idea was great. IMO...
Spoiler:

...The fact that the first act and a half were pretty realistic in
terms of the filmakers leading you to believe that Ray Liotta's
character was the killer, and the way the people were killed
weren't too far fetched until the bat thing. And I guess once
they got to the fact that it was a ?10? year old kid doing the
murders and they way they were done went to show that the
kid must have had the strength of an adult. It would be hard
enough for Liotta's character to get a bat past Busey's teeth
let alone a kid. I realized that the murders weren't occuring
in a real world, but the part that made the film more interesting,
for me at least, was the fact that what was happening seemed
as though it COULD happen in the real world.

Good movie though. 3.5 out of 5
Old 04-26-03, 06:21 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, right from the opening credits:

Spoiler:

We hear tapes of the different personalities, and see pictures and stuff from the diary, so we know that there's this killer who has multiple personalities.

So as things started to not make sense (Busey running away from the motel and ending up at the motel, the keys turning up, the odd coincidences) I assumed that the characters were all different personalities of the killer.

I admit I didn't know about the *final* twist, and that one is cheating a little but not really - looking back, the kid really did look like the killer a bit (only insomuch as they were both pudgy).

Since everything in the motel takes place in the killer's head, the reality of the faux-murders isn't really an issue, is it?

-- Jough
Old 04-26-03, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved this movie, but unfortunately
Spoiler:
after seeing the trailer months ago, I pretty much had the "twist in the middle" figured out. I do think that it was a good twist, and didn't cheat the audience. Unlike some recent movies, it can be traced back throughout the previous events.
Old 04-26-03, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I thought they were going to do more with
Spoiler:
the fact that everyone had the same birthday - but that was just another clue that they were all the same person, or at least in the same body - of COURSE they'd have the same birthday!

And here's a spoiler for Adaptation as well as Identity:
Spoiler:

Did anyone else think that this movie was very similar to Donald's script "The Thr3e"? Think about it - the killer and victims are all the same person... multiple personalities... maybe the screenwriter went to the same script workshop as Donald. After all, McKee is a real person.
Old 04-26-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Also figured out the twist at the hearing. And for me, the twist--even when it becomes crystal clear--had the unfortunate effect of taking nearly all the suspense out of the movie. I no longer felt invested in the characters. Why should I care about them when they're all...you know.
Old 04-26-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The title....(think about it)...Agatha Christie...hmmm

Spoiler:
The title kind of ruined it for me together with the beginning. I also wished for a twisted plot a la Agatha Christie instead of the pschological twist of multiple personalities.

Sidenote: if they would have found evidence that was lost they would have postponed the death sentence. And to do aggressive psycholanalysis of the multiple personalities with several indivduals present in the same room is not "how they do it". Besides these small misses, I found it to be a pretty good film.

7/10

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.