Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo TX-SR600 vs Denon 1803

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any of these units ? I listened to the Onkyo today and was impressed but havent had chance to listen to the Denon and was wondering how it compares.

Also does anyone know any good online canadian sites which sell home electronic equipment.

Thanks
Old 04-24-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don’t own either. I did, however, have both on loan when I was evaluating gear for a budget system. Of the two I much prefer the Denon.

BTW: if you are listening in different show rooms you will not be able to tell much—different speakers, different rooms, different levels, blah, blah…. The best approach is to bring prospective candidates home and listen for an extended period.
Old 04-24-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Onkyo TX-SR600 since August and have been very happy with it. It drives my Boston Acoustic speakers really well for the space I have them in.

Definitely a good buy and you can probably find it under $400.
Old 04-24-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Denon 38xx/18xx is about the most discussed receiver on the internet.
try www.audioreview.com
Old 04-24-03, 06:14 PM

I'm very happy with the SR600 in my setup. I matched it with a JBL NSP1 spkr pkg and the Sony WM40 sub. Despite threads about the SR600 being underpowered in multichannel, it can push the JBL's loud and clear. I usually listen at 10-15dB under REF and it sounds great.

Pros:
The learning multibrand remote is very nice and the SR600 has 60MHz Component Bandwidth if you plan on doing video switching. The 1803 has 27MHz bandwidth. The rcvr display is OK. One thing that set the SR600 apart from the others was the On Screen Display. My rcvr sits up high in the entertainment center so the OSD really helps. I think I found one other rcvr in this price range that offered OSD.

Cons:
The SR600 only has 1 digital coax and 3 digital optical inputs (one of the Optical inputs is on the front panel) so keep that in mind. Onkyo put in spring clips for the B spkrs, why oh why?

I use it mainly for TV and movies so I can't comment on its musical abilities.
Old 04-24-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just reading other forums and lots of people seem to be having problems with the 600, including lockups and EX decoding issues (receiver failing out-of-phase surround tests).

Anyone experienced these ?
Old 04-25-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would get the Denon myself. I have a Denon 2802 and before that had a Denon 3200. I have been very happy with my Denon receivers. My Denon 3200 is still going strong at my Ex's