Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you know anybody who has been in a movie?

Rypro 525
04-23-03, 08:20 PM
It doesn't matter if its an extra or what
My music tech teacher was in a little movie that did well at sundance called "the lottery incident" about a person who thinks they won the lottery, but due to his psychological problems, he got the numbers mixed up. There are a lot of areas that I recignize since it was shot in the reisterstown/owings mills area, and the opening was shot in downtown baltimore. (my teacher was the psychologist)
And my cats grandfather was the cat that was featured in "thunderball" (so he is sort of the inspiration for Mr. Bigglesworth)

cupcake jesus
04-23-03, 08:40 PM
My buddy's cousin is Frank Whaley...I don't really know him, but I've met him--that's about as close as I get to knowing anyone in the movies.

Darkfriend
04-23-03, 08:57 PM
Back in 1997 my friend wanted to be an extra in "Snake Eyes" which was being shot in the old Montreal Forum (for the boxing sequences).

My friend also wanted to meet or at least SEE Nicolas Cage but after a couple of days work as an extra he told me he only saw "Fred" (Cage's stand-in hehe). He enjoyed his experience, got some free food and a t-shirt.

At the time I was working security at the "Metropolis" which is a 3000 seat venue. That night "INXS" was playing (sadly Michael Hutchence passed away some 3 months later) . Before the show starts I'm heading to the bar to get a bottle of water and who do I see walking towards me? Nicolas Cage!! I shook his hand, welcomed him to Montreal and told him how memorable he was in SNL when he did "Tiny Elvis" :lol:

He told me he was surprised I remembered that SNL bit ("look at that salt shaker.... It's HUUUUGE!!) and I said it was a change from people saying "I'm a huge fan" or "Love your work" heh.

He was real nice and didn't ooze "Star pretentiousness" like other actors I met while working there.

Oh and my friend is in "Snake Eyes". He just can't see himself since he was sitting in the nosebleeds...

Alien Redrum
04-23-03, 08:59 PM
I used to work with the guy who played the judge in Serial Mom.

He was an oral-b toothbrush rep at the time.

Very nice guy.

devilshalo
04-23-03, 08:59 PM
If you look real close in the crowd scenes between the semi-final and final matches in Karate Kid 3, you'll see me ;)

Rypro 525
04-23-03, 09:02 PM
Also the people who we got our cats from, also shot the scene with the golf ball going threw the window in one of the addams family movies.

dgc
04-23-03, 09:21 PM
My wife was an extra in two scenes of The Godfather Part II. Some of her elementary class (she grew up in Little Italy) was asked to be extras and she got picked.

She was one of the young church girls in the prosession during the street feast (flash back scene with young Vito on the roof tops). She was also one of the school girls who was screaming when they tried to whack Frank Pentangeli at the bar.

On a side note, my wife and I ended up getting married in the same church they used in the baptism scene (Old St. Patricks on Mulberry St.).

BTW, she still has her pay stubs and remembers complaing to Coppola about how cold it was.

JimRochester
04-23-03, 09:25 PM
The Natural was filmed in nearby Buffalo. They used to bus extras in from Rochester for the stadium crowd scenes. A few friends of mine at the time were extras. They were kind of stupid though, they basically did it for the free party and to try and meet Robert Redford. One did get an autographed baseball. I don't think any of them ended up in a prominent place in movie history. They would duck out when it was time to be in the scene.

jaeufraser
04-23-03, 10:17 PM
My dad is friends with The Little Mermaid (the voice). Also, well he's not an actor, but the producer of X-Men and Planet of the Apes and some Star Trek movies. I've met them all.

RyoHazuki
04-23-03, 10:55 PM
My cousin is in Jerry Maguire. They asked for Cardinals fans to come to Sun Devil Stadium to be in Jerry Maguire and i don't know if he was lucky or if there were just no other cardinals fans or maybe both.

DonnachaOne
04-23-03, 11:24 PM
I used to rent videos to a local comedian, DeRay Davis. A year later, I put in Barbershop - lo and behold, there's the fella. He's "Hustler Man" - constantly coming in to the barbershop hawking crap. I'm proud of him - he's a funny guy and I'm glad to see he's moving up.

I was invited to the shoot of Jersey Girl (frequent poster on the View Askew site), but didn't go. A good few of my fellow poster friends did, though. Two of said posters were also invited to LA by Kevin Smith to watch the first cut of the film. Every now and then, they like to rub it in that they've seen the film.

The fight co-ordinator for the play I'm in, Chuck Coyle, has been orchestrating stage-fights for years. Once, I asked him if there's ever been an actor he couldn't train. He mentioned a time when he was doing choreography for a stage production of The Three Musketeers, and there was one terrific actor who couldn't handle a sword to save his life. That man, Chris Cooper, just won an Oscar.

Chuck was recently in London for a show, and house-sitting for his friend who's off doing the fight choreography for Wolfgang Petersen's Troy. Apparently, Brad Pitt is only good at one thing; smoking. Every three swipes with a sword, he's apparently coughing his lungs out, asking for a time-out.

I used to rent videos to a Movie tutor/Babysitter; she took care of the stars' kids while they were shooting a film. A few stories about Gary Sinise...

That's it really.

[Knowing foreshadowing] FOR NOW! [/Knowing foreshadowing] ;)

bothanspy
04-23-03, 11:36 PM
A friend of mine was in the Michael J Fox movie Light of Day. I guess its some scene in a club where MJF takes a whizz in the bathroom, my friend is at the urinal next to him. I think they speak.

Some friend I am since I haven't seen it yet.

SPY

DVDho78DTS
04-23-03, 11:43 PM
A kid at my HS that graduated a year after me was in Forrest Gump. He was one of the kids on the bus near the beginning of the film.

nice_skis
04-24-03, 12:02 AM
I myself am in a lot of home movie videos from tourists all over the world. Enerytime I see a group of tourist filming something, I manage to get in the shot for a couple of seconds. I know I've probably been on the tv screen of some french, german, brittish, chinese, japanese, american, canadian, italian and south american famillies. And I've done it on three different continents jst to make sure people would know I travelled a bit.

I keep telling myself that I may become a star one day and I'm doing them a favor since they'll be able to sell bootleg movies of me on E-bay.

the narrator
04-24-03, 12:46 AM
a bunch of people I know including myself are in the crowd for Blue Chips. The basketball scenes were filmed at my high school in Indiana. At the very start of the movie you can see my middle school vice principal selling concessions.

WiccanPagan
04-24-03, 02:20 AM
a neighbor of mine was used as an extra in beverly hills cop 3 when it was filming at a local amusement park.

filmerp
04-24-03, 04:01 AM
My dad was in a couple Andy Sidaris films. Officially listed as a "stunt man," his signature move is to be shot by a former playboy bunny then fall over a railing. I'm so proud.

jfoobar
04-24-03, 08:11 AM
My junior high school guidance counselor (Kelly Toomey) was in The River, with Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. She had 8-10 lines of dialogue but that was her only movie credit.

AGuyNamedMike
04-24-03, 08:53 AM
Yep, me. I am the security guard who calls in the alarm during the opening credits of Company Business. I got to meet Gene Hackman that night, really nice man. I also got to work with director Nick Meyers for over an hour just shooting my 10 seconds of screen time. Sadly, the sound was bad and they eventually dubbed me over. My ex-wife was in The Innocent and actually exchanged lines with Anthony Hopkins. She described him as a sweetheart. He lunched with the crew and extras rather than in his trailer and during breaks filming a scene in a nightclub he played the piano and sang for everyone. I auditioned for that one with John Schlesinger himself, but did not get cast.

renaldow
04-24-03, 09:09 AM
My sister in law was an extra in just about every movie shot in Portland in the mid 90's. She deserves an IMDB credit, she's been featured in so many shots.

wendersfan
04-24-03, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine had a small role in Birdy.

RoQuEr
04-24-03, 11:07 AM
My Cousin was the little buddha (no, not Kiano Reeves, the kid)

Big Boy Laroux
04-24-03, 11:15 AM
One of my friends from when i was younger was in "the neverending story" part 2.

we were living in germany (dad was in the military), and that's where some of it was filmed. He's in the scene at the beginning where the main kid won't dive off the diving board.

cdollaz
04-24-03, 11:59 AM
I was an extra in an 80's teen comedy called "My Best Friend Is A Vampire"

Giles
04-24-03, 12:01 PM
a friend of mine and her sister were in the Don Johnson/Melanie Griffith film "Born Yesterday" they were featured very prominently in a very extended scene on the Lincoln Memorial steps

Her mother also does alot of 'extra' work she was in "Silence of the Lambs" and the Cher flick "Suspect"

A friend of mine was also an extra in "In the Line of Fire" a blink and you'll miss him kind of shot.

majorjoe23
04-24-03, 01:22 PM
I was in one of the crowd's in "The Big One," but I've never been able to find myself. I was also behind the two main characters in a movie called "Tasty," which I don't think is on video. My uncle was a camera man on "Frogtown II" A.K.A. "Hell Comes to Frogtown."

FredC
04-24-03, 02:57 PM
The Next Karate Kid was filmed at my highschool, and we were able to apply to be extras to walk the halls etc. I made it in, but was too far down the hallway to be picked up by the camera. The head "bully" was a real piece of work too, he was going around kicking the extras and stuff. Who'd have thought that Hillary Swank would later go on to win an Oscar?

A classmate was also a waiter in School Ties and had a couple seconds of screen time.

And a cousin was in Rounders. Matt Damon rode an escalator by him, so he was on screen for a couple seconds too.

RoboDad
04-24-03, 03:23 PM
I have a friend who was one of the ewoks in Return of the Jedi (as well as the follow-on ewok movies). He didn't get much screen time in Jedi, but if you look closely, in some scenes you'll see an ewok using primitive-looking crutches. That's my friend. He still has the crutches (they were his, but the Lucasfilm people "decorated" them to make them look "ewok-ish").

littlefuzzy
04-24-03, 05:01 PM
A friend of mine was an extra in the crowd scene at the end of UHF. This friend also has some noteriety because his comic store allegedly sold an adult comic to a kid (who jumped behind the counter, grabbed the comic out of the adults only box, and waited for the police to come in...)

chase3001
04-24-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
a neighbor of mine was used as an extra in beverly hills cop 3 when it was filming at a local amusement park.

Did he see George Lucas?

Mopower
04-24-03, 11:00 PM
One of my best friends did some modeling when she was in high school. She was in at movie called White Boys. During the part were the main charactor is having a dream about being a rapper. There is a car and she is the blonde in the bikini laying or sitting on the hood (haven't seen it in a while so I don't exactly remember). She's only in it for about a second though.

shizawn
04-24-03, 11:22 PM
I know someone who was an extra in one of the Star Wars Special Editions.

I knew someone who's arm was in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

C Roberts
04-25-03, 04:12 PM
My cousin is an extra in several movies. Usually playing a cop in the background (some extras buy cop uniforms to get more work).

cineman
04-25-03, 05:03 PM
I worked with a meteorologist who had one line playing a meteorologist in Twister.

He would constantly tell people he was in the movie. "Did you see me? I was in it, y'know."

devilpants
04-25-03, 05:22 PM
I'm playing saxophone in the last five minutes in Neon Maniacs which Anchor Bay has been threatening to release on DVD for the past two years.

DarthMaul420
04-25-03, 07:05 PM
You know the airport lady that talks to Bruce Willis about the fingerprints in Die Hard 2? That is my mother's cousin.

Also, though not related to movies, Lars of Metallica WAS engaged to the chick who lives next to me. He cheated on her though .... alot. However, for a long time I had a hell of a lot of autographs. Couldn't give them away now. :)

Rypro 525
04-26-03, 08:56 PM
Also not related to movies but one of the workers I work at mcdonalds with has a brother who is Darren from the "Darren's Dance grooves" video series.

einTier
09-09-03, 12:33 AM
I'm good friends with a guy who has some bit parts in movies filmed in Austin. His big notable part was a gay hairdresser in Miss Congeniality. Most of his parts got cut, but you can see him in the background during the makeover scene, and one totally random shot that makes no sense because you don't know who he is, but it's a full headshot next to Michael Caine where Caine says "more... fluffy."

I also used to bartend with this guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219938/), who I found out years later is an old childhood friend of my wife.

Ergyu
09-09-03, 01:05 AM
My friends dad and older brother were in Animal House. Just extras, hehe.

Mondo Kane
09-09-03, 01:45 AM
In Born on the Fourth of July when Cruise is running in the snow (wrestling practice) with his other teamates. All those guys went to my high school (I was in Jr. High at the time :( )

garmonbozia
09-09-03, 02:03 AM
one of my roommates in college was an extra (or background actor or whatever) in Larry Clark's Kids.

Sunday Morning
09-09-03, 02:09 AM
You know that guy in the karate kid who yells to johnny to put daniel in a body bag... That wasn't me.

I have been in a few movies. I got to make out with kristin bauer, once.

My sister was the star of most of my short films :)

Abranut
09-09-03, 02:58 AM
I was an extra in the film "School Ties", had a small role in a movie that no one has heard of called "Gold Cup".

My roommate has had fairly large roles in a ton of stuff, including "Can't Hardly Wait".

I can't tell you who he is, though. He'd kick my ass.

I wil tell you this: He's not Jerry O'Connell.

evenflow
09-09-03, 02:58 AM
I know that Asian woman who yelled at Nicolas Cage in City of Angels.

zwuncki
09-09-03, 05:47 AM
well a cousin of my dad is an actor, plays at the big stages in germany. not really famous but he has played the main character in a tv movie once with some good and famous german tv actors in it

matome
09-09-03, 09:15 AM
One of my friends went to school with Lilo Brancato, the kid from <i>A Bronx Tale.</i> That's about as close as I ever got.

Sn0
09-09-03, 09:57 AM
My cousin is the hotel clerk in Fargo

Big Boy Laroux
09-09-03, 10:09 AM
one of my friends from elementary school was on the diving board at the beginning of neverending story pt. 2

Spooky
09-09-03, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Yep, me. I am the security guard who calls in the alarm during the opening credits of Company Business. I got to meet Gene Hackman that night, really nice man. I also got to work with director Nick Meyers for over an hour just shooting my 10 seconds of screen time. Sadly, the sound was bad and they eventually dubbed me over. My ex-wife was in The Innocent and actually exchanged lines with Anthony Hopkins. She described him as a sweetheart. He lunched with the crew and extras rather than in his trailer and during breaks filming a scene in a nightclub he played the piano and sang for everyone. I auditioned for that one with John Schlesinger himself, but did not get cast.

You would have thought that in that hour, you'd have learned his name is Nick Meyer, not "Meyers".

redinger
09-09-03, 12:17 PM
A good friend of mine (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0404053/) gets to claim a Bacon number of 3 (http://oracleofbacon.org/cgi-bin/oracle/movielinks?firstname=Kevin+Bacon&game=1&secondname=james+hussiere)

I want to make a movie with him just so I could get a 4.

reubs82
09-09-03, 01:07 PM
I graduated from Univ. of Georgia, and some scenes from Road Trip were filmed there. I knew a few people who were extras, and I actually Tom Green and Seann William Scott (SWS is a really nice guy) while they were filming the scene before they head out on the "road trip".

I also have a buddy who played Nick Nolte's character as a child in the film Prince of Tides

I think that's it, though...

hgar78
09-09-03, 01:54 PM
my dad just shot a movie with a former student that should be making the festival rounds later on....can't remember the title but it's something about john denver (it always reminds me of being similar to being john malcovitch)

know a couple of people who were in the truman show, since it was filmed close to home...

dtcarson
09-09-03, 02:31 PM
My cousin was in Exorcist III.
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm1014368/

My aunt, his mom, was on America's Most Wanted [no, she wasn't wanted ; )] She played the widow of a murder victim.

And my other cousin, his sister, was in a bunch of South Carolina anti-drunk-driving PSA's. She played a cheerleader type; which is ironic, because she was as anti-cheerleader, alternative as you could get.

Acting and modeling definitely runs in their side of the family.

Reubs: What year did you graduate UGA?

Deadman31
09-09-03, 04:23 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0135183/

My father's cousin, but I have never met him

jekbrown
09-09-03, 10:36 PM
a classmate of mine at psu was in The Hunted... hes a bike rider guy in the scene just before del toro goes out onto the bridge.

j

crazytrader
09-09-03, 11:00 PM
an ex girlfriend of mine's cousin is tom sizemore.

Cornelius1047
09-11-03, 01:42 AM
I went to high school with Thomas Guiry, who was in The Sandlot, Lassie, Ride With The Devil and U-571, among other stuff, I assume. He was in my spanish class and we were both in the school play junior year, though he obviously got a bigger part. If only he was more famous, I could sell his "autograph" in my yearbook for big bucks on eBay. I think he told me to call him so he could get me drunk. I don't even drink and I never did, which shows how much he knew me. He was a pretty funny guy, but I kinda lost what little respect I did have for him when I heard he beat up a friend of a friend for being gay or something. It's weird, the fact that he was in movies never really registered with me. It was just like a hobby. Him being in movies was no more interesting to me than me being in a band was to him.

I actually just saw him recently shopping at Best Buy. I guess those parts haven't been getting offered to him as frequently nowadays. I didn't say hi or anything, since I'm sure he wouldn't have a clue who the hell I am. I did, however, want to approach him and ask him, in front of his bud, if "it worked out with John or not, or did you guys decide to just be friends?" I'm all talk though.

K

Tarantino
09-11-03, 09:08 AM
I've been in many a short, but nothing mainstream.

Soon!

D G D
09-11-03, 10:16 AM
a friend of mine played chuck in "amazing grace & chuck", and another friend of mine was a lead in "ten benny" (co-starring with adrian brody).

i have had many many lead parts in vivid video productions! ;)

iBleedGarnet
09-16-03, 11:00 AM
A friend of mine was in Heavyweights. He's in the beginning talking to one of the fat kids.

KennyBoy
09-16-03, 11:37 AM
Ilan Mitchell-Smith (Wyatt from Wierd Science) was a professor of mine at Texas A&M.

dtcarson
09-16-03, 11:58 AM
My mother in law went to high school with Robert Hays [she knew him as Bobby]...in Turkey, nonetheless. They were both military brats.

garolo
09-17-03, 09:36 AM
My cousin is Lillian Adams (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0011148/).

One of my father's (a HS teacher) students was Franklyn Seales (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0780546/). He was in the Onion Field and co starred on the TV shows Silver Spoons and Amen.

AGuyNamedMike
09-17-03, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Spooky
You would have thought that in that hour, you'd have learned his name is Nick Meyer, not "Meyers".

:D Actually, I just called him sir. I was just a glorified extra, you know.

RocShemp
09-17-03, 11:54 AM
My dad is in Assassins (just an extra during the celebration scene but he does appear prominently on screen since he was in the same shot as Julianne Moore). He met the cast (with the exception of Stallone who apparently didn't really socialize) and told me that Antonio Banderas was a very nice down-to-earth guy.

ccoolidge
09-17-03, 02:37 PM
One of my friend's had a car (57 Chevy) used prominantly in The Indian Runner with Dennis Hopper.

My wife's uncle played a doctor on General Hospital for 8 or 9 years and has had some small parts in numerous movies.

I know a bunch of people in all of Alexander Payne's movies: About Schmidt, Election and Citizen Ruth (all filmed in Omaha, where I'm originally from).

The local drunkard (think Barney) at my dad's bar was in Citizen Ruth. It opens with him having sex with Laura Dern and then he kicks her out of the apartment. He was picked for the role because he looks so nasty naturally. Laura Dern insisted that she be wrapped in plastic wrap for the sex scene with him on top of her :lol:

My cousin works for Paramount studios (some assistant) and I have seen his name in the credits of numerous movies.

andybrew
09-17-03, 03:03 PM
I have been in numerous productions.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0102991/
actually, its just someone who shares my name.

My friend Favian played a kid getting picked on in Sid and Nancy, when they are walking through a open yard and all these kids are picking on him.

Also, Goldie Hawn is my second cousin. So Kate Hudson is my third cousin.

vice86
09-17-03, 04:31 PM
A guy from my highschool was one of the extras in the background of the court scene in Scent of a Woman...I saw his face and though "naaah...that can't be him"...then I found out it was.

Then there's a guy I work with who had a tiny part in a movie...his name is actually on imdb.com...he was in 1996's "The Grave"

tha_dvd_man
09-17-03, 10:17 PM
I know someone who could have been an extra in The Road To Perdition. :-/

The Bus
10-03-03, 08:03 PM
I'm in the "Thank Yous" to a movie that is finished production but will probably never be released (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0279469/combined).

I have karaoked with Bill Shatner's personal assistant.

My good friend's brother owns an animation studio in NYC and has done work for MTV.

My friend used to be neighbors with the guy Black Hawk Down was based on.

And I met a guy that works on the SNL skit "TV Funhouse".