Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

O.J. Simpson reality show in the works

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Would you watch an O.J. Reality show?
Yes
19.35%
I don't know, it depends
0%
No
45.16%
I'd rather dance naked with Twikoff while playing Van Halen's 'Jump' on my ukulele
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...son/index.html

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- O.J. Simpson -- acquitted in 1995 in the killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman -- is preparing for his debut as the star of his own "Osbournes"-esque reality show.

Fort Worth, Texas-based Urban America Television Network said it will distribute a 13-week series about the former football great to its 75 independent broadcast TV station affiliates starting in June, according to a story in The Hollywood Reporter.

bad bad bad idea
Old 04-23-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd like to see him get away with murder when he has a camera on his ass all day long. Jackass.
Old 04-23-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just what that guy needs... more attention. *yawn*
Old 04-23-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they could show him visiting golf courses around the US looking for Nicole's killer.
Old 04-23-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm positive this show will meet with a lot of protest...
Old 04-23-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm positive this show will meet with a lot of protest...
nah

i definitely hope so
Old 04-23-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Sadly, I have a feeling I will be checking this show out.
Old 04-23-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This, I wouldn't watch. If it was Nordberg, then it might be funny. But watching OJ, a murderer, in his daily lives is something I just really couldn't watch. Not only that, but is he even interesting to begin with? He's not all pilled up like Anna Nicole, and well...he ain't Ozzy. Bad, bad idea. Will probably get great ratings for one week than drop like a brick in water.
Old 04-23-03, 10:52 PM

Don't see TV

Who would want to see this train wreck of a show? I for one would not but then again you would be suprised what sort of people who would tune in.
Old 04-23-03, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Why not. They should put the tag line, "watch OJ murder a new girl friend every week! Live on 'fill in name of channel'".
Old 04-23-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They can call it "Survivor: OJ" Each week, you never know who OJ will kill off.
Old 04-24-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd check it out at first. I want to see the Mike Tyson reality show.
Old 04-24-03, 09:20 AM

HEY KIDS! Come watch the funny!! What happens when our cameras are let loose on America's favorite aquitted double-murderer!?! *Hyuk Hyuk* Wellsir, I'll tell ya, HIGH-larity!!!!! Come see O.J. and his wacky pals as they yuck it up on the golf course and wait until you see The Juice when we set him up on a blind date with none other than.... Marsha Clark!!!! Stay tuned, you're in for one KIIIILLER ride down the highway One-OH-HA-HA!!! We'll be tried for 1st degree COMED-AY!!!! Tune in this fall to your local affilate!
Old 04-24-03, 09:59 AM

I think trash TV like this is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
Old 04-24-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe we won't be subjected to this after all...

Link

From the article:

But there's one big catch. Unlike, say, Anna Nicole Smith (news - web sites) or the Osbournes, Simpson did not sign off on the series, his lawyer tells E! News Live.

The show will be edited from 60 hours of candid O.J. footage captured onstage and behind the scenes at several rap concerts during the former football great's stints as a concert emcee in 2001-02, Norman Pardo, founder of Spiderboy International Inc., which created the show, tells the New York Post. "We have a lot of film of O.J. in various locations," said Pardo.

Simpson's legal eagle, however, contends the footage wasn't sanctioned by the former footballer. "There is no reality show," Yale Galanter tells E!. While the Simpson camp is decidedly unhappy about the show, Galanter did not say whether any legal action would be forthcoming.
Old 04-24-03, 02:54 PM

Simpson says "Not so"

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7QK3V0O0.html

Contrary to widely circulated reports, O.J. Simpson said Thursday he won't be the star of a reality television show, but might consider becoming a news commentator for actor Robert Blake's murder trial.

"I have no plans in any way to do a reality show even though people have approached me about it," Simpson said in a telephone interview from his Miami home. "I'm not looking to do anything. I don't have agents out there looking for something for O.J."

Simpson said he's been contacted about a reality show that would chronicle his day-to-day life but he's not interested.

"There's no plans in the Simpson family to have any cameras coming in our house," he said.

But Simpson said he knows where the new reports came from: He's aware of video footage shot during his travels to a series of hip-hop concerts in 2001 and 2002.

"To be honest, this footage would get pretty boring," he said. "Maybe for a half-hour it would be interesting but not for a series."

He said the videos show him arriving at airports, signing autographs and talking at hip-hop concerts.

"I had a lot of fun," he said. "We were welcomed everywhere. But this was not meant to be shown anywhere except as rebuttal to those who say I'm a pariah."

Urban Television Network Corp., a Fort Worth, Texas, satellite and cable channel, and Miami production company Spiderboy International said they're planning to create 13 one-hour episodes of the show using archived footage of Simpson.

"We've got everything done, the reality show is coming," Spiderboy founder Norman Pardo said Wednesday. But Simpson's lawyer said he hadn't been contacted about it.

Urban America has about 70 affiliates and reaches 22 million households.

As for commenting on the Blake case, he said TV outlets have contacted him, but he declined to name them.

"I'd love to do it," he said. "I think I have a lot of insight. I don't know if he's guilty or not but I know there's no such thing anymore as innocent until proven guilty."

Blake is accused of murdering wife Bonny Lee Bakley in Los Angeles in 2001. He's free on $1.5 million bail and is scheduled for trial in October.

Simpson, a football Hall of Famer, was tried and acquitted of murder after the 1994 slayings of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman, but a civil jury later held him liable and ordered him to pay the victims' survivors $33.5 million. He hasn't worked since then because any money he makes could be seized to satisfy that judgment, which remains largely unpaid.

"I'm well aware of my situation," he said Thursday. "I didn't commit the crime and I don't think these people deserve anything. I'm not putting myself in a position of having to give them anything."
Old 04-24-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Good if it's NOT true. Dumbest idea I've ever heard.
Old 04-24-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The job he is considering sounds worse...news commentator for the Robert Blake trial? News commentator???
Old 04-24-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He should have blown his brains out in the back of that Bronco!

He and Scott Peterson should both get the death penalty!!
Old 04-24-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Roto
The job he is considering sounds worse...news commentator for the Robert Blake trial? News commentator???

.... this is beyond words. god, thats lame.
Old 04-24-03, 08:02 PM

Hey lookout!
Old 04-25-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
You guys have no sense of adventure.

And frankly, I've seen some of the posts many here have posted so don't give me any bs about "having taste"