Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review - Singing Detective?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-03, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is "The Singing Detective" a good blind buy?

I enjoy musicals, noir, and detective stories. It's odd that Singing Detective is a mixture of all those elements. Does it work? If anyone can describe what the miniseries is like, I'd appreciate it. Is it a cheap show, or are the production values good (strange question, I know, but some miniseries have pretty poor production values)

It's not a cheap DVD.. If anyone owns it, could you review it?

Thank you
Old 04-20-03, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought this based on the reviews in Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, and the Amazon site. I just watched disc one and plan on watching the other two after dinner. The production is high-quality. I would suggest that you check out some of the customer reviews at Amazon.

This is one of those stories that is very hard to describe. The main character is suffering from hallucinations due to medication. The story takes place as the character suffers in the hospital, but there are flashbacks to his childhood as well as flashbacks which tell the story of the singing detective (which is a title of one of the books the main character wrote).

I would recommend this based on what you've said that you enjoy. It is a quality BBC production. There is music, humor, and drama. I've very glad that I purchased this title.